Author Topic: Surgery is scheduled for December 8th  (Read 5965 times)

Tamster

Surgery is scheduled for December 8th
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:08:04 am »
Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know that I have my surgery scheduled for December 8th at House with Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Isn't it interesting the peace of mind that comes with each step, first making a decision regarding HOW to deal with your AN, then deciding WHO to have treat your AN and then actually getting a DATE. I feel such a sense of relief.
I've already gotten a couple wonderful volunteer parents to take over my duties at school while I'm away. Now hubby has time to find a substitute to take his classes for a couple weeks while we're in Los Angeles. Countdown begins!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:45:31 am by Tamster »
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery is scheduled
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:47:00 am »
Congratulations on making your decision, Tamster.

I know the feeling of peace quite well - I found it big time once I made my decision.  In fact, the morning of my surgery I was surprisingly calm, cool, and collected. 

Did you put your big date on the AN Calendar?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

gingerbread6

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06:50 am »
Hi Tamster,

I wish you well on your upcoming surgery. I too just booked mine, it's Dec. 28th in Boston at Brigham and Women's Hospital with Dr. Peter Black. I know what you mean about a sense of relief. It's the waiting that is hard for me. I've already lined up people to help out with our 6 year old daughter. She will be home for 11 days for Christmas vacation.

The whole thing is such a process, taken step by step like you said. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Gingerbread6

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:21:47 am »
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I remember the time between being diagnosed and until I made a decision as to treatment as being the most unsettling time of my life. Once I made the treatment decision I felt a little better and then getting the actual date booked I felt like the weight of the world was lifted off me. At that point I knew I could get through this, one step at a time and I was on my way.

Yes, I know exactly how you feel.
Best wishes for a smooth surgery and an easy recovery.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:30:01 am »
Tammy .....

With a vacation trip and my husband's medical crisis, I somehow missed your earlier posts.  I want to add my welcome to this forum.  No one really wanted to ever need to be here, but here we are and there is so much caring and concern radiating from this group because we have all walked (or are staggering  ::)) this path you are currently walking.

So glad you have a date for surgery.  It was at that point in my journey when I finally relaxed and went about preparing things to make it easier post-op ..... as you are doing.  I am a retired teacher so I can empathize with the preparations you will be making for a substitute.  The hard part is not knowing how long you will be out.  Some teachers have gone back very quickly ..... like a month later and others have had more complicated recoveries and took longer.  Somewhat depends upon what you teach and to what age group.  Best wishes on that part!

Again, my delayed welcome to our unique little group. 

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:34:13 am »
Tammy,

Deciding on a course of treatment is the most difficult part of the AN journey, in my opinion anyway.  I understand what you mean about the peace of mind making each decision, treatment, who , where and when brings.  By the day of my own surgery, I was amazed but grateful for the feeling of complete peace I had with whatever happened.  I thank my friends here, family and wonderful doctors for enabling me to reach that state.  I think that for the most part you will find that the time between now and your surgery will  pass very quickly.  Keep busy and try no to dwell on it too much.  I wish you a wonderful outcome and a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:05:04 pm »
Hi, Tammy ~

Let me add my congratulations on securing a surgery date at HEI with the Doctors Brackmann and Schwartz. You'll be in good hands - and seem to be getting all your 'ducks in a row', as it were, to ensure a smooth surgery experience at the famous House Ear Institute in the city of The Angels, next month.  Time will fly but try to stay focused and (relatively) calm. You'll do great - I know it!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 05:39:02 pm »
Hi Tammy,

Good luck on your surgery. This is  in fact a step by step process. Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 09:18:30 pm »
Hey Tammy, congrats on the date!! I am getting mine done the next day by the same doctors, so make sure you don't wear your doctors out working on you!! I am sure we will be passing each other as we shuffle our way down the halls post-op! :) And yes, you are so right about that making a decision thing and how it relieves a lot of pressure! See ya at HEI! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:48:42 am »
Hi Tammy,

I haven't been great about being consistent with board posts, so I just saw this now.

How wonderful that you have treatment decided on, and a date set.  I know first hand the nerves that go along with those decisions, but think of it this way-you're one step closer to having this behind you and being on the road to recovery.  I felt such a HUGE sense of relief when my surgery was over, even before I was fully healed.  To me, it just meant that there were less 'uncertainties', and I could start dealing with whatever my outcome was.

I hope you rock the surgery and recovery.  Keep us posted.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:56:20 pm »
The hardest part this side of surgery is done.  Yea!  Now you can spend your time organizing instead of agonizing  :D.  Good luck with everything!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Tamster

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 02:25:00 pm »
Wow, Priscilla, you were going through this same thing at almost exactly the same day last year. Thanks for your well wishes!

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

shabuck

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »
My very best wishes, although I'm sure everything will be just fine, my operation is a few days before yours on the 3rd dec... dont know about you but now its so close I feel remarkably calm.. I hope you feel the same.
Take care
Sharon xxx
2cm left side.. surgery booked for 3rd dec 09. St Georges London - Professor Bell.

Tamster

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:46:45 am »
Sharon,
I wish all the best for you too.  We may be separated by an ocean, but our common experience makes us family.  I'm so glad that you're feeling a sense of calm.  You've made your preparations and have confidence in your medical team to do the rest for you.  I'll be thinking of you and hope you will have someone post updates for you until you're able. 
hugs
Tammy

moe

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:23:12 am »
Tamster and Sharon,
Good luck/God speed to both of you  on your surgeries.
Calming thoughts,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty