Author Topic: COUMADIN  (Read 2703 times)

Pattilouwho

COUMADIN
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:36:31 am »
I am on comedian and have been for 12 yrs. now. I had a massive pulmonary emboli go to my lung and almost kill me. My mother died from a blood clog at the age of 41. Mine was when I was 40.  Yeah.....quinky dink !!  This is one of the issues that scares me the most about having the surgery......I know they said they'll stop my comedian and adjust this and that, but I want to know if there's anyone who has been on comedian or any other anti coagulants that has had this surgery and came through (with or without) complications...Be honest, it could  make a difference in my surgery protocol.

Thanks,
Patti
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: COUMADIN
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:39:35 am »
Hi Patti,
  One thing you might consider is seeing if Radiosurgery with Gamma Knife (GK) or Cyber Knife (CK) is an option for you.  It probably does not require you to go off blood thiner medication.
Regards,
  Rob
PS When you mispelled coumadin as comedian in the first sentence, it gave me a good laugh, thanks.
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Pattilouwho

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:29:09 am »
Haha - Thanks HeadCase.........I did do a spellcheck.......glad you had a good chuckle ; )
Also, thanks for the advise!!  I'll look into it..
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:05:15 am »
the coumadin will probably be stopped a few days prior to surgery. after surgery you will most likely get injections of heparin/lovenox which are also blood thinners while you are still in the hospital. I really don't think that you are at a significant risk for blood clots without the coumadin for a few days. But ofcourse this is just my opinion. Talk to your doctor. I am a nurse and have patients every day who are on coumadin, heparin/lovenox. Many of them with a history of pulmonary emboli. Take care
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.