Author Topic: What to expect post-surgery  (Read 7322 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: What to expect post-surgery
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 09:40:32 am »
Hi,
Yes, it's the fatigue and vertigo. Also, your ability to turn your neck comfortably.  I had been very studious about doing gentle neck turns everyday so when I got in the car and turned by instinct I was fine.  In my surgery my vestibular nerve was not cut, only moved, so I don't have major balance issues.   Of course maybe driving a golf cart is a kind of physical therapy that will help lead to driving.  :-\

There are three things I haven't yet been able to do (though it's early days): running, cycling and singing. I have every confidence I will get back to my pre-surgery fit and active self but if I have to go a bit slower I can live with that.  Other folks on this site have returned to kayaking, running, and various other activities.   

In the end, you will just have to see how it goes.  Keep goals for yourself but be willing to adjust.  Hope this helps. Others will chime in I'm sure!
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
Daydreamer~
I think softball next year will be fine.  For me, everything took a while, but only because I had a lot of issues to overcome.  However, there is not a whole lot NOW that I couldn't do.  I was a PE teacher before and did everything - there are things I don't do WELL now b/c of depth perception or the stroke, but I can still do them if I want to!  I had my surgery so long ago that I know it is so much better now & people don't have the problems that I had!  You'll be fine!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

daydreamer71

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 07:55:16 pm »
Kaybo, thank you. 2 weeks ago, this entire thing was just a minor inconvenience, now I realize it's a bit more. (I hate taking life so seriously). From today forward, I will realize I can't change what happens, I will make the best out of everything that happens. I WILL make this work for me. 

P.S. Played softball tonight & had a great time. Next Thurs. will be last game before surgery but NOT my last game...promise!  :D

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 07:34:52 am »
Daydreamer~
Good attitude - which in my opinion is right up there with a strong faith and prayers in the healing process!  You CAN do anything you put your mind to!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 08:50:01 am »
Daydreamer,
Today, almost 4 weeks post-op, I ran during my 2 miles walk!  Now I didn't break any speed records and I didn't run the whole 2 miles, just on and off, but it felt so good!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

daydreamer71

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 09:35:43 am »
Congrats Marci! Keep me informed of progress no matter how big or small because it helps me a ton! I'm pretty competitive so if you can do it, so can I.  ;D Ok, maybe not the running part...softball was created for those of us who don't like to run much. LOL!

MAlegant

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 10:13:49 am »
If it makes you feel any better, I am terrible at all ball sports.  I duck in terror when playing volleyball, softball, you get the picture.  My husband says I'm the other team's secret weapon.  I even get nervous walking past the golf course....

NL

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 11:36:16 am »
Hi Daydreamer71,

So glad you decided to post and ask questions before your surgery - the answers you get here in the next two weeks will be invaluable!

You already have a great attitude and sound pretty active, which will definitely work in your favor.

I had a retrosigmoid to remove a 1.9 cm at House Clinic in LA nine days ago, so I can only offer info from my present perspective, but here goes.

Definitely have your fiance or other family member around the house with you at least the first 4 - 5 days you are home. Everyone is different, but I came home on a Sunday and didn't feel comfortable being alone in the house until Wednesday. It's like Katie said, you can get so fatigued that it becomes a major effort to walk into another room even for a glass of water or your meds. I kind of camped out on the couch with supplies around me like when I have the flu - which is about where my energy level was at. I'm so used to doing everything myself, that the worst thing for me the first few days was asking for help.

They also said my surgery would be about 5 1/2 to 6 hours, but it was done in 4 1/2, so it all depends on how the tumor behaves (sticky or not) when they get in there.

The only pain I had in the first five days or so post-op was in my neck muscles at the bottom of the incision, so be sure you have a comfortable pillow ( I found softer and squishy better) that you can use to get your head in a good position when you sleep. When you're sleeping in the hospital with the big bandage is the hardest. Putting a rolled up hand towel between my non AN cheek and the pillow kept my head from turning too far to the side and put less tension on my sore neck muscles.

I also washed my hair for the first time yesterday, and having the "no more tears" baby shampoo was helpful, along with a shower chair. My balance is fine now (it was not before the surgery) but since it took a while to do my hair, it was nice to have a chance to sit. I didn't have time to get a hand-held shower, but I'm sure that would also be a great help.

You found a great place and a great "time" to log on here. Off the top of my head you have all the recent surgical experiences of Sue L and myself in August, -  Marci, Wendy, and Kathleen from July, Syl from June, and the very first surgery update that I followed along with Debbi back in April.  There are of course many more, but these are a few that helped me to get where I am today - nine days post-op and feeling good.

Hope this helps!

Nancy L
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 01:01:56 am by NL »
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 12:30:03 pm »
What about wearing contacts again?? I've read a lot of posts that say there is a problem with dry eye. Any of you able to wear contacts or do I have to find a pair of glasses that I just love? :P

Shannon - I was able to wear contacts about 6-8 weeks post-op.  Part of my issue was the eye on the AN side didn't want to close all the way due to temporary parallysis on that side as things healed.  Once I was able to close that eye (what I thought was) all the way, my doctor allowed me to wear contacts again.  It was on my list of questions every time I saw him post-op.  Get yourself some glasses you like because it could be a little while before you are able to wear contacts again.  You will be able to wear them again (nothing but positive thinking), but you will need your glasses for a little while.  Prior to surgery, I NEVER wore my glasses and always my contacts (even wore them to sleep for a month or so at a time; go figure!) so wearing my glasses took a bit of getting used to.

I'm sure you can drive the cart 2 1/2 weeks post op, but I'm not sure about playing golf that quick.  I'm 3 months and I've just begun thinking about doing some "normal" things that require balance, sight, etc..  Given some time, I think all that will come back though.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager