Author Topic: Falling Feeling  (Read 7300 times)

New girl

Falling Feeling
« on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
I am 14 months post surgery and I had a strange incident today.  I was in a store pulling something small off a shelf and all of a sudden I had the feeling that I was falling forward however I was standing straight up.  It only lasted a few seconds but it was really strange.  I have not had many (if any) post op issues.  Has anyone else had this kind of episode?  I have my ~1 yr post surgery MRI this Wednesday.  Good timing I guess.  Thanks!!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

DHJ

Re: Falling Feeling
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:54 pm »
Hi   Just had my 1 yr MRI today.Good news.No sign of my AN according to DR. Barker.
      As for a falling feeling I am afraid that these little blips (is that a word) are part of our new normal.I combat my balance issues by challenging my self at the YMCA stepping up onto platforms with one leg and seeing how long I can stay there before falling off.I have not really fallen yet.It seems to help. Glad to hear that you cleared your 1 yr check up. Peace Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

New girl

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:40 am »
Thanks Dave.  I hope this is just a normal blip.  I just had my MRI this morning so hopefully that will come back clean.  Congrats on your one year!!! 
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:48:34 pm »
Sounds like a balance issue.  Sometimes pre and post op you don't think you really have balance issues, then something strange like this happens and you realize you do.

Be careful out there  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »
So how were your MRI results?

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

New girl

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:45 pm »
My MRI report stated there was no regrowth nor any new tumors.  Yeah!  What a relief.  I see my neurosurgeon, Dr Barker, in a few weeks for a follow up.  I will describe my incident to him.  I was worried since I had never experienced this type of balance issue. I feel better now that I have the MRI results and after reading this site since this is not all that uncommon.  Thanks so much for the replies!  Best wishes.   
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

It is what it is

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:28:32 am »
Great news!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for letting us know.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Chances3

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:04:47 pm »
Hi New girl,

Great news on the MRI.  I had a very ugly recovery, but I won't bore you on that.  One symptom I had was the feeling of falling forward.  After spending 8-10 hours in front of multiple computer screens, my balance was a mess walking home from work.  If I leaned my head to the left, I felt like I was going to fall that way, put the head back a little, and I felt like I was going to fall backwards, etc etc - you get the picture.  It did go away in time, but I had these problems well into 14 months post op.  Hang in there !

It is what it is

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
I really enjoy hearing about continued recovery down the road.  Thanks,

karen

New girl

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »
Thanks for the info Chances3.  Glad to hear your recovery has progressed.  I have also been extremely stressed out lately since things at work have gotten very crazy.  I have been working long hours and sleeping less.  I have read on this site that stress sometimes makes issues worse - so that may also be contributing.  Time for a vacation!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

New girl

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 03:31:44 pm »
Just saw my neurosurgeon a few weeks ago and described the incident to him.  He does not think it is anything to worry about.  He thinks my brain just lost track of where I was.  If I have more episodes he wants me to follow up with my ENT surgeon.  Thankfully no episodes since then. 
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:17:41 am »
New Girl:

If I'm in the complete darkness I'll fall over or down.  (sort-of a side-flip thing)  It's a part of what we go through and all the other symptoms although most of us look somewhat normal, we aren't.  We live with this handicap and others don't see it so, they don't understand.  You can tell them one-thousand times to talk on the other-side and they will keep coming up to you talking to a dead-ear. 

See my thread about art being the answer.  You won't feel so much like a recluse if you decide to hide-out at home! 

"Take stock in night-lights" and write them off on your taxes.  (imagine)

Since all expenses and medical bills are finishing me off at the moment---I'm going to lengths unheard of for me, to recover financially.

I hang from a bar to stretch my spine and it helps.

Take good care,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness