Author Topic: Numbness in arms and loss of strength  (Read 7316 times)

sbrn

Numbness in arms and loss of strength
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:39 pm »
My husband is almost 4 months post translab and is continuing to have issues with both of his arms.  His doctors seem stumped at the moment, so I was curious if anyone else had experienced these problems.  His surgery was uncomplicated and a bit shorter than expected at around 5 hours.  He was discharged a day earlier than predicted b/c he was doing so well.  The arm problems started within days of coming home.  The initial pain in the arms has subsided somewhat, but everything else is still the same.  He has numbness from the elbows to the palms of his hands in both arms.  You can literally pull his arm hair and he doesn't feel it.  Can't distinguish hot/cold either.  Limited ROM; can't extend his fingers all the way.  While it doesn't hurt him when you touch his arms, he describes it as extremely uncomfortable.  He's lost significant strength in his arms and drops things occasionally.  Being active duty military, he could easily pass the pushup portion of his PT test (around 50 in a min.).  Now he's challenged to complete 3.
His neurosx felt that it wasn't related to his surgery at all and referred him to a regular neuro.  His MRI revealed diffuse bulging at C4-C7 with mild swelling in the elbows.  His neuro doesn't feel that this would cause such severe symptoms as it's more than likely just wear and tear. He definitely doesn't expect such loss of strength with that.  Greg had an EMG today (not fun), which did show some abnormality but again not enough to cause his issues.  The doc said that he also has obvious muscle atrophy in the right arm.  Said it was like the muscles and nerves weren't communicating.  Blood work has been ordered.  We have a f/u on the 22nd with more blood work likely to be ordered then.  Hoping somebody has some insight, b/c this is starting to get a little scary.  Could surgical positioning really be causing something so severe?
He's also developed a hematoma from where they took the fat plug from his abdomen, but that's taking a backseat to all of this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:02:33 pm by sbrn »
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Numbness in arms and loss of strength
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:20:14 pm »
sbrn ~

I'm very perplexed to learn about Greg's loss of sensation & strength in his arms.  Obviously, if the doctors can't seem to find a reason for this development, I certainly won't try.  However, we have had one or two of our members report some loss of strength/sensation in their arms, post-op.  I'm not sure what the solution was, if any, for them.  This is a conundrum.  The causes may be as varied as the answers seems elusive although I suspect the AN surgery was not a major factor but of course, I could be wrong.  However, you and your husband cannot stop being proactive in finding (a) the cause of this condition and, (b) the solution, whatever it may be.  Try not to despair until you have a definite diagnosis. - and not even then.  I'm sure this can be solved.  You and Greg will definitely be our thoughts and prayers.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:50:35 pm »
I am also befuddled by all of this!  I had VERY decreased strength/control in my right arm after surgery but basically lost everything on my RIGHT side after a "surgery induced stroke" - i can't understand how BOTH arms would be effected - especially after an uncomplicated surgery...

Definitely in my prayers...hope you get some POSITIVE answers soon...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:16 pm »
I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  That being said, I do have a C5 bone spur on my vertebrae, which caused numbness/electric shock-like shooting pain, and some loss of strength in my lower arm.  I have a friend who had this as well, and his arm atrophied very quickly.  He had surgery to have the bone spur removed.  The neurosurgeon told me that's what they  might have to do if I had a recurrence.  I managed mine with physical therapy and anti-inflammatories.

Obviously, one huge difference is that your husband has this on both sides.  I'll bet the neurologist solves this.  Wishing you the best - it's very frustrating when the docs are trying to find an answer.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sbrn

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:42 am »
Thanks for the encouragement!  He did have an cervical scan done that showed diffuse bulging C4-C7, but the neurologist didn't feel that any of that was significant.  He said that was somewhat normal wear and tear.  It's all just bizarre to me.  Hoping we get some kind of an answer at our f/u on the 21st!
Translab 26 Oct 10

sbrn

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:33:02 pm »
We had our appointment last week with the neurologist.  He's basically throwing his hands up in confusion over what's going on with Greg.  His nerve testing showed abnormalities in one muscle and several nerves consistent with denervation.  He's convinced that we're looking at some sort of neuromuscular disorder, but he's not sure what.  He threw around everything from ALS to Lyme's Disease.  So Greg's heading back for another brain MRI to make sure nothing was missed and a slew of rare blood tests.  He's also referring us to the Neuromuscular Department @ Vanderbilt.  Apparently there are no easy answers for this one!
Translab 26 Oct 10

Asa52

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:07:14 pm »
I'm not implying anything (well, not much anyway) but, is he seeing a military doctor or an off-base one?

After 20 years of active duty I'm leary of military doctors.  Not ALL!  Just some. I'm sure you know what I mean.