Author Topic: Popping sounds and swollen tongue  (Read 7370 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Popping sounds and swollen tongue
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
O.k. tomorrow marks my 3 weeks post op of Middle Fossa surgery..   Sure many of you have seen my name all over here because I have been having issues and this forum is the GREATEST help.   Plus I've told people about my blog I started to try to keep family and friends informed.   WELL, my dear body is having additional issues, so the blog has gotten a bit long .   I honestly hope though someday maybe someone else can relate to it or learn from it.

ANYWAYS, I have a couple more questions:

I keep getting in my head and to my neck what I refer to as popping sounds.   I say it reminds me of that "snap, crackle, pop" rice cereal.    It doesn't hurt, but it is SO very odd.    And of course with my tinnitus going on, it just ads to the noise.   Can anyone tell me if this is normal, and what it is???

And, my tongue seems to be slightly swollen and hot, maybe buringi often.   I drink so much cold water, few ice chips, and loving ice cream.   I did have a lovely thrush infection when I was leaving the hospital, but I have no whiteness or anything.   I AM experiencing that metallic taste though.    Just wonder if anyone knows something possibly related to that?

I appreciate any help.   I don't go back for my follow up until Fiday, so thought I'd check here.   I had SO MANY other issues that it seems as if I had been calling the doctor like crazy once I got home.   These aren't a severe, but make me curious.  THANKS 
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

sgerrard

Re: Popping sounds and swollen tongue
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:15:03 pm »
I keep getting in my head and to my neck what I refer to as popping sounds.   I say it reminds me of that "snap, crackle, pop" rice cereal.    It doesn't hurt, but it is SO very odd.    And of course with my tinnitus going on, it just ads to the noise.   Can anyone tell me if this is normal, and what it is???

It is not normal for the rest of the world, but yes it is normal for acoustic neuroma patients, and no I can't tell you what it is because I don't know.  ???

I can't answer the tongue question, other than to say that metallic taste has been described by others on the forum.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 01:18:59 am »
The swelling of the tongue could mean an allergic reaction to your meds. if you are taking any new ones??? That is definitely something to check with your doctor about, and don't wait until friday! Hope that helps?? I am not a doctor or even a nurse but my hubby has had problems with certain meds. and the swelling of the tongue is how it manifests itself. It has even happened to him with meds he has been on for awhile, so please be on the safe side and check with your Doctor.
Good luck,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:40:17 am »
Steve, do you mean that sounds may be normal and continue????     

And Jackie, thanks...............that would probably be my luck....if you've read my blog, seems like I've had all kinds of stuff.

I just remembered how to search on her, so will look up more ther too.
thanks.............wish me luck
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:24 am »
Steve, do you mean that sounds may be normal and continue???? 

I don't think they are anything to worry about. Over time they should occur less often and be milder. I still get odd sounds now and then, but it is not very often these days. I would consider them another form of tinnitus, I guess.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:49:01 am »
Denise,
  You're just a few weeks out from treatment, so odd sounds and a metallic taste is fairly normal.  As you continue healing these symptoms should subside substantially, and will probably disapear with time. 
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »
Denise,

I had the same sounds 1-3 weeks post op.  They were not constant and I noticed they occurred more frequently when I was moving my head, chewing, talking, etc.  I wrote it off to the fluid buildup in my ear moving around.  On an interesting note, I have not noticed the sounds since this weekend.  My hearing is not as muffled as it was last week, so maybe (for me) it was related to the fluid.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:39 pm »
Dennis, did you end up having any 1 month testing or anything?  Liike hearing levels or something?   

I took a look at my MRI CDs last night and we can see the swellling.   Hopefully it continues to go down fast.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:14 am »
Denise,

No tests are scheduled this week (Friday will be the one month mark.)  However, I did have a hearing test six days post op at House in Los Angeles.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

cin605

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 12:21:30 pm »
Snap,crackle n pop are normal.....i have seen alot of this here.
My tongue was swollen for about 4 months after surgery ...it was also crooked n pointed to the left ...which is really strange becouse my AN was on the right.Sopposidly when your tongue deviates like that it points to the weak side.
I could feel it filling up n draining down the back of my throat.I went back n forth to hopital to see ENT?Neaurologist
at least 5 times...had mris done x rays scope down my nose onto throat....they never could find the cause n chalked it up to nerve damage.MY tongue does not deviate and is no longer swollen but now i have a lyphnode at the base of my tongue on the left side that fills n drains whenever it pleases n causes major nausea.
I remember when my tongue first drained i had swallowed some really hot soup,then gradually the swelling went down.
Hope this helps...please keep the updates coming!
Cin
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 04:11:02 am »
Wow alll th responses ar great!.

I am having a 4 week check up for to all the issues I'm having, plus my doctoe is thoughtful with the drive dowj thher.

I ended up having a fulll spinal and brain MRI here (in our smaller town)   Got a call last night that thy thoght it was a mastoid infection annd to get l  an antibiotic.  It wa like 6pm.  I was confused so called the MEI oncall dr. (who was in my surgery too).   She said they proaby didn't pay enogh attention or waht eve after surey.  But to take it anyays untill I go Friday for my appointment.