Author Topic: Drippy nose anyone?  (Read 24480 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Drippy nose anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:47 am »
I was told that it has to drip like a faucet when bent over for the CSF leak.          That is what mine did.         I get the runny nose big time when I eat on the left.      I did on the right after the first surgery until surgery no 2 and then it quit.            We should have boxes of tissue when we eat at the symposium.                 I get running from one or both sides when warm and active.      Even a bit of running from both when bent over occ.      Can vary from time to time.   
   I say it is just one of the annoyances of the day.                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 10:00:25 am »
Joef~
I guess I haven't been tested - how do they do that?  BUT it is really just when I am bending AND doing something active at the same time... ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 01:27:01 pm »
Actually, Im not sure!! I think they can test any drippings to see if its CSF .. or bogers... LOL ....

is it a clear fluid ?  .. at least for me ... they kept asking me (at the hospital) when I lean forward if there was any clear fluid .....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

bpham

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 03:46:22 pm »
I tear when I eat spicy food on the AN side (translab)...and that side of the mouth also does not taste food as good as the other side...and I learn to accept it and I'm OK with it.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 04:21:02 pm »
Actually, Im not sure!! I think they can test any drippings to see if its CSF .. or bogers... LOL ....

is it a clear fluid ?  .. at least for me ... they kept asking me (at the hospital) when I lean forward if there was any clear fluid .....

I was repeatedly asked that while in the hospital also.  CSF SHOULD be a pristine clear fluid when it leaks.  I've been told that one would KNOW if they had a CSF leak in their ear, nose or throat because it's different than anything else that would be coming out of those areas.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Sam Rush

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 09:36:11 am »
CSF leak fluid would have a positive test for glucose, in contrast to sinus fluid.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Pruneface

• 3.5 cm tumor; Surgery planned for June 13
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 06:08:47 pm »
Does anyone have a runny nose before the surgery, rather than after AN surgery?

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »
Kaybo - please go and have the 'leak' checked.
Mine only dripped on one side and only when I bent over, whether I was doing something or not.

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:11 am »
it's possible that it could be due to the AN compromising the facial nerve.  Some patients on the forum have reported various facial post treatment affects.  I stil have some slight facial nerve effects.  Whenever I eat flavorful food, my AN side eye will tear up and my AN side nostril will get a bit drippy.  The explaination has been that when the facial nerve is damaged and repairs itself, some of the nerve connections can become cross-connected.
Regards,
  Rob

OK, I know this is an old thread resurfacing ...... but ...... last December I experienced this drippy nose only on the AN side.  It happened a couple of times, lasting several hours ..... no other symptoms, e.g. no stuffy head, sneezing, cough, etc.  It has happened several times since then ..... most recently last week-end.

Maybe it is my paranoia, but when this started I did not know that my AN was regrowing ..... now I do.  Could there be a connection?

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

tenai98

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 02:54:00 pm »
I get the drippy nose symdrome when exercising or eating hot foods....On the treadmill, I always have a towel for my drippy nose and like Joef, I try to wipe nose without being notices....it drips only on my AN side...it started right after surgery and I was tested to see if it was a CFS leak.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 04:13:46 pm »
I also have the drippy nose on the AN side.  Between the tears running down my face on both sides....my non-AN side seems to sympothize with the AN side sometimes...lol  and the drippy nose, I think I must keep Kimberly-Clark in business.  I have boxes of kleenex in every room and always a a few in my pocket.  My nose drips when I eat and also when I'm active...if I'm bending over for any length of time...such as tying a shoe or digging in a drawer, you can bet I need a kleenex to catch it.

I was so paranoid about a CSF leak last summer, that I actually bought some glucose test strips.  I don't remember what they cost, but the container has probably 100 in it.  It's easy to test...you just catch the drip on the strip and if the strip turns color, then you have a CSF leak.  If not, then you're OK.  It saves running to the doctor all the time.  The strips are the same ones diabetics use to test glucose in their urine. 

I've been lucky...my tests have always been negative.  Hope the rest of you continue to have the same luck.

Pat

1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
OK, this makes me feel better.  Gonna look for the glucose strips if it happens again.  Thanks!!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MNTim

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »
Within the last month I had a CSF leak from my nostril.  After some of my prior surgeries I thought I had a leak because of a runny nose but I discovered recently that a leak is very obvious.  It does run like a faucet and it is like water.  When you bend over it drips constantly until you sniff.  When I sniffed I got a very salty taste in my mouth.  I mean like I ate a spoon of salt not kind of salty. 

I was able to produce for the test very easily.  I walked down a flight of stairs while looking down and got the two drips in the vial that they need.  The ENT said he knew it was CSF as soon as he saw the vial.  They can't test boogers!

Last fall I was running 3 miles several times per week and would develop a runny nose after the first mile.  I know now that it was not a leak.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Keeping Up

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »
Mainly directed at Annisa ...

Don't you have a wack-load of very young children?  I have a constantly running nose (i.e. I am like a granny with kleenex up my sleeve, or if short-sleeved, tucked in at the top of my undies - I know where every kleenex box is in everyone's office at work as I grab kleenex constantly.  I take kleenex box from the supply room two at a time!).  The 'running nose' is similar to your description ... I bent over one day to look at a document on someone's desk and dripped (tremendously embarrassing ... and it just won't stop, until hopefully late spring/summer.)

I blame it on young children.  I have no allergies and have not yet had any treatment.  I never had this issue pre-children.  I could probably take decongestants to help it out ... but typically live drug free (except for birth control, of course!!!!)

Good luck, and hopefully it is unrelated to your AN (and treatment).

Ann

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

ddaybrat

• The Brat's Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »
Ann...I had to laugh when you said you were like a granny with your kleenex tucked in.  My mother, bless her soul, always had a kleenex tucked somewhere.  As a child, she used to pin a cotton hanky to my dress every morning when I went to school.  Course, that was before kleenex became so popular.

Pat
1.4 x 1.5 x 0.4 cm AN on left side
retromastoid craniectomy 3/31/2010
Dr. Randy Gehring - Lafayette, IN
Tinnitis, deafness
Vestibular nerves destroyed
4 months post-op:
Facial movement returning
Paralytic ectopic repair on lower lid
Transverse ligament adjustment on upper lid