Author Topic: Just discovered my AN and stuck in Singapore  (Read 4764 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Just discovered my AN and stuck in Singapore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 04:53:30 pm »
Once again Thanks everyone,

Dr. Brackman of the HEI has a great reputation but I am surprised by how old he is 70?  not that I am an ageist or anything, is it  age or experience thats important? Ideally some where in the middle. Put it this way my DAD is 73 and the number of dents in his car is anything to go, I am a bit worried.

Bit off topic why is everyone using cm and mm I thought US was all feet and inches? I suppose what is .5 ft  is it 6 inches or 5 inches.

Rick:

I wouldn't be too concerned about Dr. Brackman's age.  Although I don't know the man and he wasn't my doctor, I seriously doubt he would be operating on AN patients if he - or anyone else - thought he had lost his ability to perform the difficult, tedious and necessarily precise procedures that AN removal surgery demands.  My neurosurgeon was a few years older than me (I was 63 at the time of my surgery) and he did a magnificent job, sparing me from any real complications.  I'm sure these highly experienced neurosurgeons use younger doctors (happy to be working with a real 'pro') to do a lot of the routine parts of the operation (while overseeing everything) and save themselves for the really serious, intense parts of the surgery that require their expertise.  A feeble or absent-minded physician could not perform this kind of surgery without his (or her) deficits being glaringly obvious to everyone present, and I can tell you from experience that the AN surgery OR is quite crowded with medical professionals.  Frankly, the subsequent complications a patient could experience at the hands of a doctor unable to perform AN removal surgery at the required level of expertise necessary for a successful outcome would soon see HEI sued out of business and Dr. Brackman's reputation would be effectively destroyed. 

This is simply my opinion, of course, and if you don't feel confident with Dr. Brackman, then you should seek another surgeon.  Confidence in your doctor is critical to getting through this surgery.  I had 100% confidence in my neurosurgeon - and it was amply rewarded.  I want the same for every AN surgical patient.  I'm sure many folks on this forum will attest to Dr. Brackman's expertise but ultimately, the decision is yours because it's your skull being operated on and you have to live with the results. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Bobbibl

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »
Just throwing it out there but I came across a man from New Zealand on facebook who had gamma knife done in Singapore.  If that is what you are looking for you may be able to just knock it out over there.
4cm AN removed 9/23/08 at Columbia-Presbryterian in NYC by Dr. Michael Sisti with Retrosig approach.  No facial/muscle/balance issues just SSD on left side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 09:46:30 pm »
Rick -

to my knowledge you aren't the first AN patient to wonder about "grandpa" Brackman's age and I can truthfully tell you that I know patients who weren't comfortable with it and didn't have their surgery with him.  On the other hand, there are lots of AN patients who didn't feel it was an issue and did choose him for their surgery.

I did not have my surgery @ HEI and I don't personally know Dr. Brackman, so I can't really say if this is a valid concern or not.  Like Jim, I would hope if Dr. Brackman wasn't capable of performing surgery, he wouldn't be.  I'm also confident that his colleagues would encourage him to retire if his age caused a performance issue.

I don't know why ANs are typically measured in cms, but the new trend is to measure them in mms.  Definitely very curious for the U.S.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

QRM

• Was an architect now stay at home dad
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 03:38:26 am »
Thanks for the input guys,

I was all gung ho the other day, sort of dam the torpedoes let get Brackman to do it tomorrow sort of mood, but now hmmm if it was a wart on my knee then no worries.

Well I suppose best not judge a book by the cover so will take a veiw when I see him face to face or in this case hand to hand. 

Jims point re:  the hospital wont let him perform if they suspect hes a bit wobbly, my take is yes, but hes been there so long and such an institution, its pretty much thanks to him the modern HEI is what it is today,  so which judas on the committee ( all his golf chums) is going to stand up and say thanks for everything and give him a big shove out the door.

Anyway even if his hands are a steady as a rock there will probably be an earthquake during my shift.  ahh but what the probability of that? there again what the probablyity of getting AN?  Sorry guys just a bit of a glum moment.

Funny the other day I ducked under a shelter during a lightening storm,  normally I would not bother

I should go out and get lottery tickets

Thanks Bobbibi regards the Singapore Gamma Knife, I went to the gamma knife surgeon here the day I was told about the spud, and OK he maybe did not want to scare the daylights out of a newbie, but  the way he said it was  just pop in before lunch we stick a hat on and twenty minute later you can go off for lunch. he even said its so soothing lots of patients fall asleep.  Like Gandhi once said if its too good to be true... If he was a bit more upfront saying that it may hurt like hell six months to a year later, etc then I might be a bit more inclined to listen to him now.

Rick
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:12:27 am by QRM »
2.5 cm x 1.1 cm AN 30 Oct 08  Singapore Gleneagles Hosp.
Translab on  29 Jan 09 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of HEI
Surgery a success!! had wonky head for a while and odd tastes
Everyday things are improving and getting back to normal.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 07:26:32 am »
I don't think most doctors using radiation treatment will tell patients out of the chute what they MIGHT expect post treatment.  I think this comes when the patient revisits the doctor telling him he's chosen radiation.  Unless, of course, the firstime patient starts asking all sorts of post issue questions.....?

I too would feel uncomfortable with the casual attitude anyway.  But, what do I know anyway as I chose surgery over radiation. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 09:27:36 pm »
I don't think most doctors using radiation treatment will tell patients out of the chute what they MIGHT expect post treatment. 

In my experience, it pretty much depends on the doctor.  My neurotologist performs both surgery and radiation (GK) and he told me what I could expect from either treatment at my first appointment.  Maybe because he's the kind who believes in fully informing patients - down to the smallest detail - but I'd imagine there are other docs just like him.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 07:24:01 am »
My CK radio-onc and neuro-onc did provide me a full list (verbally and in writing)  of "what could be..." and I even was asked to sign the release, noting that all of it had been fully explained to me.... my hope is that other radio-docs are doing the same.

I don't think most doctors using radiation treatment will tell patients out of the chute what they MIGHT expect post treatment. 

In my experience, it pretty much depends on the doctor.  My neurotologist performs both surgery and radiation (GK) and he told me what I could expect from either treatment at my first appointment.  Maybe because he's the kind who believes in fully informing patients - down to the smallest detail - but I'd imagine there are other docs just like him.

Jan
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

QRM

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 08:43:16 pm »
Thats it,  booked the flight to LA for the initial meeting with the HEI folks early December.  Staying at the Disney hotel!! ;D of all places you would have thought that was the last place you want to be if you have a brain tumour, but its more to keep our  3 year old daughter entertained, and she thinks its all one big holiday.

Thanks for all the PM and post,  I will keep you all posted.

Rick 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 08:47:32 pm »
Good luck, Rick.

Say hi to Mickey & Cinderella for us  ;)

Jan

QRM

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 05:44:29 am »
Just got back to singapore after my LA House visit,  very interesting Dr. Brackman despite being 70 seemed pretty sharp reminded me of the wise old turtle in Kung Fu panda,

Dr. Shwartz is a lovely guy and same age as me, while Brackman was very much in favour of surgery, Dr. Shwartz was was more or less on the fence saying  I can swing both way but he was the only one to note that my tumour has a cyst within it, which is good and bad news, good because it means that the tumour is actually smaller, bad news means it may not react as expected during a cyber knife treatment and depending on how the nerve runs through the cyst may mean leaving a bit behind to preserve the facial nerve.

Dr. Freidman I liked, it really boiled down to  a batman movie flick of the coin between Dr. Brackman and Dr. Fieidman.  Dr Shwartz works with both of them.

Big day booked for 26th of Jan 09 at HSI

I love LA over here I am classed as borderline obese, I am having trouble finding belts larger than 36inch, in the state I look like starving Marvin, at Disneyland people are on electric wheeled seats because they are so fat, and they all zip around on these buggies with the front basket full of burgers and mickey shaped cups full of cola,  just like those people in the movie Wal-E 

Sorry about all the film comparison a 15hour flight means I had a lot of time on my hands

cindyj

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:24 pm »
Hey Rick,

Good to hear from you - glad things went well in LA...Jan 26 will be here before you know it.  Think there are several people on the forum w/ surgery scheduled around that time.  Will you be staying in LA longer than 2 weeks since you're traveling such a long distance? 

Take care and do keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

QRM

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 06:42:42 pm »
hi Cindy

Will be in LA for two months, first month family will be with me then being dumped there for a month to really rest and make sure my head does not fall off. Then wife will come back to collect me to take me back to Singapore.

Hope she remembers to come back :o

cindyj

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 02:43:02 pm »
Wow, 2 months!  Maybe you can become part of the LA Welcoming Committee along w/ David, Lanie and Nancy!  Should be great weather out there during your stay - enjoy!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

QRM

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 08:54:13 pm »
Just met up with Chocolatetruffles AKA Lisa, she flew into Singapore for a few days, and was a great reassurance for me and more so for my wife.  It has been a year since her operation at the HEI and is pretty much leading a totally normal life. Cant imagine what the neighbouring tables were thinking as my wife and Lisa were peeping down each others jeans comparing bikini line scars.

Just like to say a big thank you to her and to all the other post ops folks, who stand on the other side of the what appears like a bottomless chasm offering a hand and a life line

Rick

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 09:16:08 pm »
Just met up with Chocolatetruffles AKA Lisa, she flew into Singapore for a few days

Wow, sounds like lots of our fellow forumites do get around - and here I am still stuck in Illinois  :(  :D

I can't believe it's been a year since Lisa's surgery and I'm so glad to hear she's doing well.

Thanks for the update.

Jan