Author Topic: Stomach Scar.....  (Read 8153 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
Re: Stomach Scar.....
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 05:37:14 pm »
Lets see daydreamer.................yep my scar is still there  :D

the massage deal will work and you can do that as well. that micro abrasion stuff or pumice rock will ease its "roughness"

My scar is 3 or 4 inches long . i had 13 staples there. the line is fairly shallow now and the red marks from the staples just barely visible......

my surgery was 8 months ago on the 3rd of Aug. and my bikini wax didnt help much but then im a 57 yr old guy   LOL  ;D
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

carlita

• Used to be my smile...
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 06:40:36 pm »
Hi, my name is carla. I have the same horrible scar on my belly im also slender and have that huge scar next to my belly piercing. I used to wear bikini and only wear it now when there is not many ppl around. My surgeon told me i can get a plastic surgery on it, you know is already enough by having half of my face paralized. :-\
Carlita :)

lori67

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 06:55:34 pm »
I'm with Jan - I'm all for one piece bathing suits and cover ups!

However, IF I was slender and young and all those other long-gone things... I would be bothered by the scar.  I'm 4 kids past being slender and young, so it's not an issue for me.  I'm sure there's something that can be done for you young, hot bikini wearers.   :D

Man sized Spanx.....I think I see a good money-maker here! 
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 08:20:14 pm »
Lori~

Can we add a line of "MANdex" to our garage business?? 

I always thought that scars were SEXY!  That is what we always say at our house.  Goodness knows I have enough of them!  Even though I AM the YONGEST of the multiple birth sisters, I just say NO to bikinis!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JulieE

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 09:12:35 pm »
Now this is a thread that cracks me up!  I, too am pretty skinny, and I hesitated to ask about the stomach, putting it in perspective with the brain, but I found the courage and inquired about whether or not they bring in a plastic surgeon for that aspect and I got the "we're better than those guys" which I am still having trouble figuring out if he was trying to make me laugh to check my facial score b4 surgery, or completely serious.  Then, when I ended up with an ulcerated scar below the incision "because I have no bady fat", which was meant to make me feel flattered, I was going to say "what gives ?"  but the other one owned up to it like George Washington cutting down the apple tree and I forgave him.  Still, they should bring in somone who specializes on that and not heads.  Insurance is so crazy that I think my Drs. got paid relatively little in the scheme of things, to cut in another surgeon is not lucative and Ins. does't want to ante up b4 never mind after.  If you have the means, ask your doctors to involve someone who does this or atleast have them look at your belly and discuss how it is going to happen. I would have directed them to my belly fat!  I think that it is fair when you compound the things that result from surgery that the belly scarring is the icing on the self-esteem cake.  I got over it, but I'm secretly thinking of covering it with my first tatoo!  Doen't tell anyone...
Scar management is important - bikini's are out for the first year or mega sun screen at the incision area.  Massage gently lifting the skin away from muscle below it and roll between fingers.
Jules

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:03 pm »
Insurance is so crazy that I think my Drs. got paid relatively little in the scheme of things, to cut in another surgeon is not lucative and Ins. does't want to ante up b4 never mind after.

All in all, I have no complaints about my belly scar.  It's very faint and as I mentioned before, I'm well past the age of bikinis - and those who swim and sun with me are more than thankful that I no longer wear one  :D

As far as this quote, Julie - I totally agree.  It IS crazy what doctors don't get paid for.  By the time my insurance company got done discounting all the doctors' bills, IMO my neurosurgeon and neurotologist both got ripped off.  They each received less money than the anesthesiologist did  :o  I'll be the first to admit that the guy who puts you to sleep has an important job, but I think the two doctors who were literally working inside of my head were equally important.

While I'm thankful my insurance company footed the entire bill for my AN surgery and everything but my $400 deductible for my BAHA surgery, to this day I still feel bad that my doctors got "the short end of the stick"  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 06:33:19 am »
THanks for all the support ladies, and it has only been 10 weeks, i kep hoping that in the coming months it will start to look better.  And I know it's silly to compalin about considering things could be sooooo much worse.

I am very thankful I had the docs I had and the ins. coverage that I have.  I guess I just start saving my pennies for future changes if I want them :)  I think I need to get into the garage business of Mandex with Lori and K......

Melissa

1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

lori67

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 10:36:23 am »
MANDEX!  Yes!  It's all coming together now!  I think we'll all be rolling in the dough pretty soon!  We should have enough to pay for scar repair, extra liposuction (for those of us that need it), hearing aid batteries and maybe we can even throw in a few bucks for Steve to purchase more yarn!

What a bunch of great minds around here!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:27 am »
We could also follow up on George's (Signfield) idea of the "Bro"...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pol

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 11:13:27 am »
I am glad to see that others are bothered by this too. Yes, this incision is WORSE than the scalp incision (and Dr. Bojrab doesn't use external sutures on the scalp which helped a lot). I am thin, so they had a hard time finding enough fat and had to do a lot of "dissection." Which means the incision is longer and I had a very unsighlty 'seroma' (fluid build up around the incision) 2 weeks post op. EWWWW!! That resolved on its own and didn't need any drains (one doc thought I might need that). One doc wanted to do a CT SCAN!! talk about overkill.

thanks for the tip about Bio Oil. I'm going out to get eye drops anyway, will get that too! LOL about MANDEX!!

Pol
AN diagnosed Sept.'99; GK Dec. '99 and Sept. '06
Subocciptal partial resection (AN 2.5x 2.2) by Drs. Bojrab & Pieper. SSD right

lori67

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 12:22:33 pm »
All the more reason they should allow those of us who have some fat to spare to donate it to you skinny-minnies out there!   :D

Lori

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:29 pm »
ditto.. what Lori said... line forms behind my big behind! :)

Phyl

All the more reason they should allow those of us who have some fat to spare to donate it to you skinny-minnies out there!   :D

Lori
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 06:38:20 pm »
Hey Melissa and the rest of you ladies

I'm getting in on this late -- I noticed it before but I never got back to it.  This is from a guy's perspective.  I've been married to, dated and have known a lot of woman who have had C-Sections.  If I ever noticed their scar, I'd think, hmmm she had a C-Section -- and never give it another thought.  The truth is, if anyone were ever offended by a scar, why would you want to know them in the first place? I know when you're younger there's a lot of emphasis placed on perfection (especially here).  But to a guy, a scar on your stomach is not a big deal.  A tattoo of a knife might be a little scarey.  But not a scar.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 07:47:03 pm »
David~
How did you know about my knife tattoo????   ???

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 07:49:33 pm »
Kay

Dave posted a picture on one of his updates when you were having your T3.
 ;D
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments