Author Topic: Thinking of Denise, Phyl and Brendalu...  (Read 6882 times)

Denisex2boys

Re: Thinking of Denise, Phyl and Brendalu...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 07:22:05 am »
Thanks guys!  You really 'rock' when a person needs it.......

Hearing is at 34 dec. - really useless as far as I am concerned - I have directional hearing and that is about it .......

I guess the nervousness has set in - in the fact that I keep myself SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' busy with my kid's school (Parent Council, Year-Book Committee, Year-End Party and my Condo. Board) - that I really need to talk to all these groups and let them know that I may not be able to fulfill my duties from now until June (depending on when the surgery is) - how do I even go about approaching the kids school and explaining all this to them - I don't just want to come out and tell them I have a brain tumor ..... what do you say?  - "It's benign ..... but I have a tumor".......
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 07:32:12 am »
Denise,

Like Phyl and Jan have said, don't second guess yourself.  It will dry you crazy!  You have made the decison that is right for you.  We are all here, pulling for you with good thoughts, prayers and does everyone have their pirate socks ready???  I think your two boys will amaze you with their compassion, helpful attitudes and they will get you through this.  I am sending up the prayers and good thoughts for you and your boys.

Hugs,
Brenda
Denise,
You go to your boy's school and tell them you have a an Acoustic Neuroma.  If they want an explanation as to what that is give them the basic info.  Tell them you will be very tired and need to scale back your activities.  You will hopefully be surprised by their compassion, understanding and their eagerness to help any way they can.  Good luck!
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:27:51 am »
Denise~
Good Morning!
I did not have time to think about all the "what ifs" b/c my surgery was so quick - plus I think I was just young, blond, and naive! - but I think all of my family & friends were freaking out!!  I think that is how God helped protect me & give me peace.  It is scary...I would look at it completely different now since I have kids.  That being said, I think that that would be my driving force.  When I had surgery, I had no children of my own but taught 1st grade -- I thought that I had to get better to be there for them.  I can't even imagine how I would think I have to get better for MY OWN kids!  Even now I have tossed about the idea of TTT that Nancyann did, but I don't even know if I would do that b/c it would take away the time & energy from being there and doing things for my girlies.  You have 2 beautiful boys and it sounds like you are VERY invovled in thier little lives -- take care of yourself so you can continue to be there for them, but remember that they are a priority that AN cannot rob from you.  As far as the activities that you are involved in, do you do those alone or w/ others?  I know that I am very involved also, but everything I am in, I have a co-chair and we function together -- even as RoomMom, I have an assistant.  That is one of the things I learned - life will function without you (not as well, of course!) but others will take care of everything for you.  You have to handle it in a way that feels comfortable to you -- in my experience, if I did NOT tell someone I was having brain surgery (b/c I didn't want to worry them or know how to say it), they were upset that I didn't tell what was going on.  I agree w/ Brenda that you will surprised at the outpouring of love & compassion.  However, if you would feel better, just say, "I am dealing with some health issues and I don't know how long it will take, but I think it would be better if you didn't count on me right now..." or somthing like that.
You will get thru this...it is just a LOT to take in right now!  Let me know if I can be of help or just a listening ear!
<3  K  (it is a little heart just for you!)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:49 am »
It's ok to be nervous and we can all relate.            I waited from my mid August surgeon appt till Nov 1 for surgery to get past harvest time and be easier for my husband.        I was an absolute basket case.   No one was talking of good outcomes on the internet.          I did well with my surgery and was very lucky.          But I ended up with the best organized house I had had in a long time pre op, just in case!!!
  My biggest mistake was over doing after to prove to myself that I would be normal again. It does come back with time and rest.
   I would tell some to the school and call it what is.        Consider it educating others about acoustic neuroma.            I knew of a dr where I work who had a MRI to check out his hearing loss. Another said it made her more aware of AN's and keep watch in her patients.
      Hang in there!        We are all thinking of you and everyone who is agonizing over this.
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 01:23:47 pm »
Hi,

Brenda wrote

“Like Phyl and Jan have said, don't second guess yourself.  It will dry you crazy!â€?
I don’t know I agree. I would like others to learn from my mistakes –not repeat them.

As I am at almost at the 6 month mark and dealing with synkinesis (which I would like to say is not walk in the park) I am beginning to think I did not make the best choice. Because there was an element of doubt that my tumor was not an AN tumor but a meningioma- I chose the retrosigmoid. The rationale I used was that if we pulled out a meningioma through the translab and sacrificed my hearing (directional included) for nothing -I would be kicking myself later. If I had known for sure it was a AN tumor- than I would have chosen the translab.

HEI had once advised me of this and that I go for the Baha implant simultaneously with the translab surgery (i.e. do it all at once). Other private institutions also suggested I go with the translab. The universities tried to get me to question this and were apparently successful at having me do so. (We do need to ask questions- this is how we learn)

In Daisy-Head Mayzie story by Dr Suess…
… there is a happy ending as  Daisy gets to go back to her classroom … I don’t see going back to my classroom any time soon…

Currently I feel like I was university experiment…

Now I am consumed with more research on facial therapy and also trying to decide what sort of hearing aid I should use (transear, cochlea implant, baha etc)  to which none will replace the directional sound I have lost… At this point I would just like to move forward in my life outside of the acoustic neuroma- but I can’t just yet.

My ‘gut instinct’ was to have the translab with the old guru and have the translab and the baha screw implanted at the same time. Somehow I turned in my tracks and decision making process. I am beginning  to think that my surgeons would have had better visibility of my facial nerve with the translab approach … and I probably would have had a shorter length surgery than the 11+ hours – as I am thinking the retrosigmoid made it more tricky an access point to both the tumor and the facial nerve it incased. (They did need my autologous blood, ie self donation, for transfusion -after all)  I was told there was a marginal 2 % higher risk of facial nerve damage.  Now it appears I came in at that 2%. I do have my smile back and “my lifeâ€?- to my surgeons I am most grateful for this. (I still have the utmost respect for them and they did an excellent job of dissecting a very adhesive tumor from a tricky angel point.) The synkinesis is the result of a stretched facial nerve (maybe this would have happened with the translab too. ??? I do not know.)  The new growth nerve branches are attaching to the wrong muscle. (i.e. there is nerve cross-wiring). I made a choice – and that I will have to live with for the rest of my life.

"If" the synkinesis goes away and I can eventually raise my eyebrow, move my bottom lip and flare my nostrils… then I will change my tune here. Currently what I am reading, and the lack of answerers I am getting from physicians in my region, – I am guessing that the nerves will continue to grow down the wrong channels and what is happening now is irreversible. Once the damage has happened I am questioning now how much normalcy will return to the facial movement.

We do need to reflect on our choice. I can’t say “would-a, could-a, should-aâ€?  etc as this will be counterproductive to my recovery (especially mentally and spiritually) but I think it is important to share not just our successes but also our mistakes (and falls). I don NOT want others to repeat my mistakes… I want them to learn from them (perhaps this is why I was a teacher) and to keep moving forward.

Denise,
If I had had the size of tumor that qualified for radiation I would have made an appointment to discuss this option with a surgeon, who is highly reputable, in that treatment option specifically … but that door was closed to me due to my large tumor and the brainstem involvement.

I think if that door is open to you then look inside and see what you think and how it compares. Some of us wish we did have that option. Many of us will admit that the loss of directional sound IS a big deal.

Look at ALL options and make an informed decision.

I want Denise’s outcome to be better than mine. I also want all outcomes to improve with time as all patients, surgeon and physiotherapists honestly share their experiences for the common good. I truly hope in the next decade (and the next generation) of people- will truly understand much more about Acoustic Neuroma and the options to treating these.

I also hope that in future cases (and generations) there will be enough sharing of information so that we will eventually know the real ‘cause’ of AN… Currently, as the ANA, we are focusing on ‘treatment education’. Once “a cause� is know than hopefully there will be more focus on ‘prevention education’… but we are not there yet. The definitive cause has not yet been discovered.

I think it is important to share our successes and mistakes of our decision making process- so future patients, surgeons and therapists can learn from both aspects.

I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Peace,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 01:33:11 pm »
Hi 4,

First, let me say a BIG thank you for sharing what you have shared... it's insightful beyond anything I imagined and I thank you for sharing something that is so passionate to you... with all of us here.

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. We absolutely learn from other's experiences... what I was noting is... that once a person takes into account all that has been shared of experiences and insight, they are making the best well-informed decision that they can make for themselves... and not to question that final decision.

We know the good, the not-so-good and the fugly are shared around here.... total realities that many go through. For me, once someone inquires and takes into account all they have learned from others, then, go with the gut and not question final decision

Recently, I had a few folks on the phone from this forum that actually noted "if I knew then what I know now....", but I reminded them that they did what was best for them at the time.

Ok, back to work for me now... but, I hope that clarifies my comment.

And as for you.... :).... be well, 4 :)  Sending huggles.....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tatianne

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 02:57:21 pm »
Glad to hear all of your updates !!!

Great news Phyl, seems like things are moving along well for you.

Brenda, can you mail me some of your fabulous outlook and attitude ?? Your amazing.

Denise, I know how you feel...even though you know what you have to do it doesnt take away fear of the unknown, what if this, what if that.....You have great courage to have made such a educated decision about your health, thats the most important part..

Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 04:21:37 pm »
4~
I read what you wrote and was very moved by the way you expressed yourself.  It is hard for me because there were no options really for me and even if there was, there really was no time.  What a concept to have choices to maybe even preserve your hearing...they did not even tell me ahead of time that my hearing would be sacrificed!!  I say this not to evolk feelings of sorrow or pity for me, but I agree w/ all the others that once it is done, it is done and no looking back.  You make the most of what you have and go with it.  Are there things in other areas of my life that I wish would have had a different outcome - sure! - but we have to just go with it.  Am I glad that my face is paralyzed or that I have SSD?  NO, but it certainly does not take away from my life -- I WILL NOT let it!  As a not very old "Old Hat" w/ this, it is easier for me to say this 12 years out...hopefully it will get easier for you with time...but only if you let go of the "what ifs" and greet the life you have with gusto!!  :o)  I respect and agree that it is good to share both the "good" and "bad" so that others can learn from what we have been through.  Thank you again for sharing that! :o)
I would love to share how my life has gone on - even with side effects!  I have a blog with pictures if you are interested, I can PM you that address.
Blessings & Strength with your continued trek on this road to a new life!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »

I guess the nervousness has set in - in the fact that I keep myself SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO' busy with my kid's school (Parent Council, Year-Book Committee, Year-End Party and my Condo. Board) - that I really need to talk to all these groups and let them know that I may not be able to fulfill my duties from now until June (depending on when the surgery is) - how do I even go about approaching the kids school and explaining all this to them - I don't just want to come out and tell them I have a brain tumor ..... what do you say?  - "It's benign ..... but I have a tumor".......

Hi again Denise,

There are lots of opinions out there.  I took a totally different approach with my AN.  I found that when a person uses the term "brain tumor" it evokes a lot of reaction.  I decided to tell people at work and with my community (involved with the local school district too) that I had a problem with my inner ear and was having surgery.  I mentioned going to California where the doctor specialized in the surgery.  To me it wasn't really anyone's business, yet I knew working in a school district at the central office that I couldn't disappear for five weeks without saying anything.  I chose to say very little about it at the time.  But that was me.  Everyone is different. 

Kindest regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:19:40 pm by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 08:17:28 pm »

We do need to reflect on our choice. I can’t say “would-a, could-a, should-aâ€?  etc as this will be counterproductive to my recovery (especially mentally and spiritually) but I think it is important to share not just our successes but also our mistakes (and falls). I don NOT want others to repeat my mistakes… I want them to learn from them (perhaps this is why I was a teacher) and to keep moving forward.

I also hope that in future cases (and generations) there will be enough sharing of information so that we will eventually know the real ‘cause’ of AN… Currently, as the ANA, we are focusing on ‘treatment education’. Once “a cause� is know than hopefully there will be more focus on ‘prevention education’… but we are not there yet.
The definitive cause has not yet been discovered.

I think it is important to share our successes and mistakes of our decision making process- so future patients, surgeons and therapists can learn from both aspects.

Your teacher is shining through:-) Your best hope for identifying the cause is awesome. Until then it is patient education. And it is because of the experiences that others grow and learn.

You are still on the mending part of the journey relative to your facial nerve.  It is always that unknown that makes us restless.

The fact that there are so many choices makes us question our decision at times.  Honestly, these darn things are sooo tricky that until the doctors are inside, they can't anticipate the stickiness of the tumor.   Okay, I agree that a crystal ball would have been awesome. Barring that, these are difficult decisions because of the unanticipated consequences. No second guessing is allowed:-) Right now your facial features may have changed,  the same good hearted person hasn't changed.  Your caring spirit shines through and people can sense that.

What grade did you teach?

All the best,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:29:54 pm by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 08:45:58 pm »
4~
I meant to ask why you couldn't teach anymore?  Are there other problems preventing this?
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

diverjeff

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 09:10:30 pm »
Hello all,

Denise, you are very, very brave with your decision for surgery. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!  If your decision is an informed, prayerful and honest decision then I would say your decision is the right one.

I have to ditto Kate's reason for explanation. My wife was just diagnosed last week (Feb 6) and it has been a challenge deciding how to describe her illness. We told our closest friends and relatives straight up facts.  To her co-workers and her managers she described her condition as an Acoustic Neuroma and will most likely have it surgically removed.  When asked how long she might be away from work she told the truth - I don't know.  From what I have read everyone seems to have different results. She did say the "growth" is benign and once removed, other than loss of hearing, there is nearly a 100% chance of full recovery.  That explanation seemed to satisfy.

In your screen name I see 2boys. I would think your concerns of mortality are justified.  Your feelings are not selfish or self centered as you have a great deal riding on your decision. Thankfully, as you can see, your not alone.  Isn't it comforting to know you have a place to go where, "Everybody knows your name?"  :D

If you have any boogie-bears trying to invade your thoughts, air them and let others lend support. We're all here to help each other. Hope is a good thing !!

Safety & blue skies,

DJ

A father gave his son a stick and asked him to break it.  The son broke the stick with ease.  Next the father bound some sticks together and asked his son to break them. No matter how he tried the son could not break the sticks.  The father said, "That my son, is the strength of a family."

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 09:29:19 pm »
DJ is absolutely right - knowledge is power.  And, you are very brave Denise.

Hang in there,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elderbirds

!!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »
Hi Denise,
I just met with the neurosurgeon today and also have decided on surgery.  I know how you are feeling, a big sense of relief... but waiting the phone call with the big date!  I too questioned my mortality ( I have two boys ages 6 & 9), but as the doc said today, I have about 45 years left of my life to live.  It is easier, with better outcomes while it is still a smaller size.  I rationalized with my self that it will not get smaller on it's own, I am not getting any younger, and my health is not going to improve over the next several years.  I too have a work committment, and many volunteer positons.  I agree with the others, that I will tell people I have a problem with a benign growth on the nerve involving hearing and I am having surgery to remove "the growth" and there is a good possibility that I may lose hearing in that ear.  I am taking myself out of work, carpool,volunteering etc, for 6-8 weeks, and if I can go back sooner, all the better.  If people have more questions, I'm sure they will ask.
I hope llike others I will feel the sense of peace going into the OR, cause now I am terrified!  Good luck, and keeps us informed.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 06:02:57 am »
Glad to hear all of your updates !!!

Great news Phyl, seems like things are moving along well for you.

Brenda, can you mail me some of your fabulous outlook and attitude ?? Your amazing.

Denise, I know how you feel...even though you know what you have to do it doesnt take away fear of the unknown, what if this, what if that.....You have great courage to have made such a educated decision about your health, thats the most important part..

Tatiane,  I guess I finally "get it" after all of these years and can always, always, find someone worse off than I am and I feel very fortunate to be alive in the shape I'm in (to lose a few pounds would be nice!)  I guess I have just been doing some very deep soul searching and figure I will do better with a good attitude than a bad one.  You've got it, just look for it.  It really is there for each of us.  Thank you for all of your support.  Hugs, Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT