Author Topic: Conjunctivitis  (Read 6759 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Conjunctivitis
« on: December 13, 2007, 02:30:15 am »
A couple of weeks ago I got hit with the first head-cold I've had since 1999! Even during and after my surgeries and in spite of having contracted M.R.S.A. while in the hospital I had remained flu and cold virus free.

Prefacing this head-cold was "conjunctivitis", a horrible affliction and irritation of the eyes. I got over the cold fast enough but the conjunctivitis has returned with a vengeance. I'm now applying erythromycin ointment to my eyes; the same stuff I had been given for "dry-eye" upon release from the hospital two years ago, along with artificial tears.

This is a really nice companion illness complimenting my AN-related lightheadedness and double vision: incessant itching, burning, puffing, bloodshot watering and discharging of mucous. I'm having a grand old time. This is torture!
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Conjunctivitis
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:28:04 am »
Been there, done that  :-\  ... my heart goes out to you

Read these

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5307.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5211.0

Know that it does get better... as long as you use the antibiotic drops...

Hugs :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 03:32:38 pm »
Hi, Cat:

I'm so sorry to read about your eye infection (conjunctivitis) and head cold.  It does sound awful.  I pray that you are over it as soon as possible.  You have enough to deal with, as we all do to some extent. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dfcman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:34:56 am »
yeah I keep getting conjunctivitis too!  I am just getting over the flu during finals week...ugh.  Its been a hell of a time.  My condolences brother.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:03:55 am »
Chris,

More conjunctivitis episodes AND the flu?!? … oy ya ya.  ::) You poor college kid. Ok ok-  you are not a kid anymore… Nevertheless big mothering hugs sent your way. Hang in there -as soon it will be the winter break and you can party… or rest. (The latter might be most recommended  ;) )

Cheers,

4 :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:04:09 pm »
EEEEEEEWWWWWWWW Pink Eye! Yucky- Poo!
 Poor Baby, Crazy Cat!

It's going around--both my grandscallywags have it.

Rest up--drink lots of OJ and take your Flintstones. Sending lots of healing hugs and thoughts your way.  Being sick sucks.  Folks like us like to play too much!

Get Well!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 08:56:51 am »
" Flintstones "

Deb you just crack me up!  :D ;D ;)

I think your posts make great facial therapy for those of us with Bells Palsy – as you ARE making my laugh wrinkles come back… one mm at a time. Even around the eyes!

I am so glad you and your wildly funny humor is part of our forum!

Cheers,

Crazycat

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 04:08:47 pm »
I'm a "Flintstones Kid" !!!

Thanks for all the responses! This pink-eye crap is stubborn! I think it's starting to ease up though. Erythromycin ointment since Wednesday.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Mtn Gal

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 01:59:03 pm »
Hi Crazy Cat,
Excuse me for jumping in on this thread, but you mentioned you contracted MRSA while in the hospital.  When I had my surgery they tested me the following day for MRSA.  Two days later in a private room the head nurse jumped all over my daughter for not having on a gown while visiting me.  That's when we were told I tested positive for MRSA.  When I left the hospital nothing was mentioned about any forms of treatment or precautions for the MRSA.  Knowing now what a powerful bug it can be, it makes me wonder if I really had it.  I have not had any symptoms or episodes of sores that would not heal or infections, or anything that relates to MRSA.  I was just wondering if they had to treat you for it or if they gave you any advice or information.  I know we were given antibiotics due to our surgery and maybe that took care of it.  Does it just go away?  I have a very good immune system, so I believe if I did contract MRSA while in the hospital, then my body was able to fight it off and heal properly with no other side effects.  I even visited a MRSA website forum similiar to this one, and I was shocked at how the people on that forum were suffering and trying to cope with this dreadful disease.
Thanks for letting me ask about something that has bugged me since the diagnosis.

Mtn Gal
Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.

Crazycat

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 01:51:28 pm »
Mtn Gal,

To tell you the truth, I don't think that this poses any real problem for anyone providing that they have a functioning immune system. I remember when it was first detected while lying in my hospital bed recovering from surgery. My roommate at the time was an eighteen year-old kid that had been totally paralyzed in a car accident. I never set eyes on him or heard his voice the entire time —all of three days—I was in the room with him. As soon as they found out that I had MRSA, I was moved to my own private room with an astounding panoramic view of the Charles River in Boston that I could not enjoy because I was so miserable. When I was transported to the Rehab hospital I was again put in a private room. It is to a person in his condition (my roommate's) I suppose that the MRSA poses a threat. As weak as I was after 15.5 hours of surgery, two days in ICU, being completely intubated and "awash" in drugs, it still wasn't enough to make me vulnerable to the MRSA—it may have cultured in me but it couldn't make me sick. In fact, my girlfriend who had been with me every day while I was in the hospital, spending every free moment she had with me went and had herself tested after it had been reported that I had contracted it. She tested negative. This made me wonder, "If she hasn't picked it up from me, then who possibly could?" I suppose only those in severely weakened states like my poor roommate.

The conjunctivitis that I recently contracted was the beginning of a nasty head cold that I also came down with. I blew it out in 4 days. It tried to spread to my lungs but couldn't get a hold on them because, after 30 years of bench pressing and ten solid years of jogging my lungs are too strong. That head cold is also the first one I've had since 1999! I'm now 50 years old but look like I'm in my 30s', half-deaf and still working in a rock band.
 As an example, over the past week or so with all the snowstorms we've been getting here in New England, my day and night will typically run like this: weight training, jog in snow and ice for 4 miles at night (on residential streets), come back, change out of clothing soaked from sweat, bundle up, go out and shovel for three hours and do 80 pull ups to stretch out and unwind. In fact, it's snowing right now and I'm going to have to do it all over again! I ran two nights ago in 13° temps!

After my release from the hospital, I was naturally very concerned about MRSA and asked my PCP a lot of questions about it including whether or not it stays with us or how long. I never really got a definitive answer other than him saying to me, "I don't think you have to worry about it".

I hope this helps!

Paul
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:00:16 pm by Crazycat »

Mtn Gal

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 10:22:06 am »
Thanks Paul.  It truly does help to know that others are living a normal life with a diagnosis for MRSA, but which has not really affected us or our families.  You are right about the folks that have a weakened or poor immune system being the ones that are so devastatingly affected by such diseases.   I had decided just to keep on living with it (if I even had it).  Kinda like being SSD; you learn to deal with it the best you can and keep on going.  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.  Hope your head cold and conjunctivitis is all cleared up and that you remain in good health for the New Year.

Merry Christmas

Mtn Gal

Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.

Crazycat

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 06:02:17 pm »
Just for the record, the conjunctivitis is still bothering me. It initially appeared Dec 1st, making it about three weeks that I've had it. The antibiotic cream seems to work and then the symptoms just relapse. This may be an indication that the condition is more viral than bacterial and will just have to run its course. Other than that, I'm fine.

Hey Mtn Gal, Did you know that the "Mountain Girl" of the Merry Pranksters fame back in the 60s' married Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead?

Snowcat

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 03:50:30 pm »
Hey Paul:  I was just thinking, I hope someone in the doc's office explained how contagious this is, that you have to use a new towel eveytime you wash your face - paper towels are best to use during infection - use it once then throw away.  Pillow cases should be changed daily.  If you forget & touch your face, you must wash your hands immediatlely.    I had it once - I used paper towels to even turn a door knob, then throw it away.  This can stay with you for a long time unless you really are extremely vigilant with the handwashing, changing towels or use paper towels, do not touch your eyes, face.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Crazycat

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 02:19:19 am »
Thanks Nancy!

The doctor I saw had nothing more to say than agree with my suggestion that I had conjunctivitis and wrote me a script for erythromycin ointment. Some of the facts that you mentioned such as the pillowcases and towels were told to me by other people that have had it at one time or another. I've starting to employ those methods only recently. I think it's easing up. I feel pretty good right now.

Thanks for the feedback! 
   Paul

Dfcman

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 09:27:20 pm »
Paul,

I don't mean to alarm you but i've had recurring conjunctivitis.  It was because of a corneal ulcer from my eye drying out.  I went to a Ophthalmologist and I was told that my eye was not closing all the way.  I had an eyeweight put in my upper lid a year and a half ago,which solved most of my eye problems, but just recently my lower eyelid has begun to droop just enuff for the eye to be exposed a little bit. Conjunctivitis is very common, esp with AN patients, but if you are still having problems I recommend seeing an ophthalmologist ASAP.  I had my eyelid slightly stitched today (hardly noticeable or painful) and I have to have a minor surgery in about a week and a half grafting fatty tissue to help build my lower eye.

Hope all is well.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06