Author Topic: My M.R.I. Scans  (Read 7518 times)

Raydean

Re: My M.R.I. Scans
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 07:04:08 pm »
I'd have to have my more computer smart then me daughter help me with the scanning part.
I'll see what I can do

Boy, Paul looking at your MRI brings back alot of memories.  We haven't look at the films in at least 4 years.  Last time was when my grandson was 4 and needed to bring something to school beginning with a an X. (They were learning the ABC"s)  We dug into our MRI file and had him take the healed broken ankle scan.  Was a big hit with the pre school set.

I'd like to add when I see Paul's MRI and see his  positive outcome, as well as Tom's  I am amazed, and truly grateful for their positive example.  With giant tumors the list of possibilities  (risks and outcomes) grow far beyond what  you would normally  associate with a Acoustic Neuroma .  If having a giant brain tumor wasn't enough to scare you, the giant list of "we have to tell you these things might happen" definitely  will.   Some of the issues are quality of life issues.  Pretty scary place to be.

What Paul and Tom both had in common is an medical team with vast experienced in the treatment of AN's. I know I sound like a broken record, but it's so critical, especially with giant AN's and makes such a difference in the quality of life issues.  For the best possible outcome it's important to have  the best of the best.  Paul is living proof of this!!!!

Paul, thanks for sharing and for your positve example.

Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

shoegirl

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 12:30:14 pm »
Wow! How big was your tumor?  I am so happy that you have had such a positive outcome! Hoping your recovery continues to be a success!
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 09:15:16 pm »
Shoegirl,

The size was reported as 5cm x 5cm but it appears to be much bigger than that on the MRI scans. I really haven't had time since Friday afternoon to sit down at the computer - it's been a busy weekend!
    This allergy season is ridiculous! Talk about a double whammy. Living with the after-effects of surgery, i.e.: dry-eye and equilibrium problems now compounded with itching, burning eyes and sinuses!! Lots of fun.
      Just woke up from a two hour nap.
           My recovery has been good so far though - thankfully. I have a follow-up MRI scheduled for Thursday morning with a return visit to the neurosurgeon on the 18th. I will try to aquisition a copy of the new scans.

Also, I feel the need for a coffee run with Phyl this week!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 06:44:03 am »
Paul,
Hope you are feeling better.  I have been taking allergy meds this spring.  I didn't realize I had any allergies.  Hope all is well.
Tomorrow is my 1 yr mri and appointment with my surgeon.  I am both anxious and a little scared.  i keep thinking what if they see regrowth, even though  they cut my facial nerve to "get it all".  My BF, Darren, says i am to stop dwelling, that I am only freaking myself out.  He's probably right, but i can't stop thinking about it.
Denise

Crazycat

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 01:11:34 pm »
Hi Denise,

I know what you mean. They left a very small amount of the tumor in me to avoid cutting the facial nerve. So, there's probably more of a chance it will come back in my case, even though, the doctors have said it is, nonethless, a very small chance. If it does start to come back it will be cyberknife time!! God, I hope not. Phyl is a great person to confer with in that regard.
         I once asked my doctor how long I'd have to worry about this thing growing back. He said, "How long do you plan on being around?"
He then went on to say there was one person that didn't have any regrowth until ten years after surgery! So it looks like this is something we're going to have to be vigilant of the rest of our lives!

Take care, Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Crazycat

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29:44 pm »
Thought I'd move this post up to the forefront before it gets lost in the shuffle. It should be seen. Thanks to the highly skilled and experienced doctors at Mass General in Boston, I got through with shining colors!

Paul.