Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 409591 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1530 on: July 15, 2010, 03:31:45 pm »
Soundy and Anne Marie (fellow Outlander fans!), let me know what you think of Echo in the Bones once you've read it! 

I, too, tried to read Girl w/ Tattoo book, couldn't get into it, though...

I've been on vacation since last week, but see no further discussion on The Help so far...Kaybo, her name drove me nuts - don't think I ever settled on how to pronounce it!

I'm back in one of my historic series right now - it's a great one.  I did read another Jodi Picoult a couple of weeks ago - Vanishing Acts - not as good as My Sister's Keeper in my opinion, but pretty good.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1531 on: July 15, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »
I was thinking about reading and went and gotThe Girl with The Dragon Tattoo off the shelf ...and then got to thinking that I type Red Dragon ...and I did ... but on back reading see that Anne Marie did first ... I am easily influenced and type what she did but the book is really just The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ..unless there is another book with a girl and dragon in the title  ;D

my 12 year old says there is a movie of it and there probably is since she is a frequent visitor to the electronics department to look at movies and games

need to get the Highlander book ...and read it ...

my husband said I need another book like I need another hole in my head and then realized what he had said and apologized ... I just laughed at him ... he didn't find the humor in it ...

I have been told we are leaving in 5 minutes and I need clothes on  >:(
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1532 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:38 pm »
Finally bought - and just finished - Catching Fire (the 2nd book in the Hunger Games series).  Although I'd read some mediocre reviews, I really liked it.

I'm looking forward to book #3, which I think is supposed to be available in August.

Now I'm reading The Art of Racing in the Rain - which I planned to purchase, but was pleased to find on my brother's bookshelf.  I'm only in the early chapters, but I'm already liking it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

« Reply #1533 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:11 am »
I have the third Hunger book ordered ... not sure when it will be delivered other than it will be in August

I liked The Art of Racing In The Rain ...sad but a good feeling sad ...

I struggled for 3 days to get past first 60 or so pages of Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and then stayed up reading last night until I was on page 250 ...that first part was just so blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and boring ...Also have Girl Who Plays With Fire on stand by

I pulled out the last Outlander book (Breath of Snow And Ashes)  to read after I get through the girl books ... was going to start over at beginning with Outlander , but that will take for ever ... going try to track down Echo In The Bones when we are shopping for school clothes ...

Please ignore when I type Highlander instead of Outlander ... I keep doing it and it bugs me ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1534 on: July 26, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »
Checked Amazon today.  The third Hunger Games book is scheduled to be released the end of August - 8/24, I think.

The Art of Racing in the Rain (first recommended to me by Lori) was sad, but it was very good and written from a dog's perspective which I found very clever.  Great reading.

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #1535 on: August 01, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »
Well...finally watched My Sister's Keeper tonight...know some of you talked about it awhile back on here and mentioned that they changed a significant part in the movie.  That was QUITE a difference!  I couldn't believe it! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sterry

« Reply #1536 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:57 pm »
If you like mysteries, try Craig Johnson's stories about Walt Longmire, a modern day Sheriff in Wyoming who has interesting happenings in his out of the way county. The Cold Dish, I am sure is the first one.  I was recommended to these books and I have enjoyed them very much.  They satisfy my requirement for mysteries: interesting characters, well written and the use of some humor.  If you like thrillers which I thought were well written, but can be a bit blood thristy, then you might like Lee Child's  Jack Reacher series.  Find number one, and get going.  I had a hard time putting them down.  But there is the occasional "ick" factor.  Another thriller book writer is John Case, and I enjoyed his books.  Young man gets caught up in mystery that  spans the globe kind of thing.  So, if you want fun thrills and fast reads, these were good for me. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

sterry

« Reply #1537 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
Read them all!  He is a friend of mine :). Junkyard Dogs is the latest.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

cindyj

« Reply #1538 on: August 18, 2010, 07:26:57 am »
Hi, sterry!  Don't think I've "met" you...nice to see a new face over here in the book club.  Thanks for seconding Sue's recommendation - I am going to put the Craig Johnson book on my ever-growing list of books to read. 

Looks like we're all reading our own things right now...but, I think The Help was next for discussion, right?  Know some of us had read it awhile back, but some others were starting it, I think?  Anybody?

Soundy, did you get Echo in the Bones?  Start it yet?

I read another Jodi Picoult a couple of weeks ago in between my historical stuff - Changes of Heart.  Pretty good, though not as good as My Sister's Keeper, I don't think.  Hope to read the next Hunger Games book soon...

cindy

feeling great!

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1539 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:02 am »
I have a few suggestions from my recent reading.  I have a NOOK (Barnes and Noble) and I love it.  I read all three of the Stieg Larsson books (the latest is The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest).  I really enjoyed them.  I read The Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, and also another one by Kate Morton, The Forgotten Garden.  I found them all to have twists and turns, easy reading and enjoyable.  Those are the most recent.  But I can also recommend The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  I have a lot more downloaded and will give a report as I finish them.
~Dale~
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1540 on: August 18, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »
Cindy,

I'm almost finished An Echo in the Bone.  I found unfortunately, the first half of the book boring and rather dry.  I like history but I just found some of it overwhelming, maybe because I only have grade 13 American History from good old 1979 when Ontario had grade 13.  The story has moving along nicely for awhile now, they are all back in Scotland.......to be continued.....

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Soundy

« Reply #1541 on: August 18, 2010, 12:21:10 pm »
I forgot to pick up Echos when we were in Huntsville  >:( ... did start re-reading Breath of Snow and Ashes ... waiting on a teacher to finish Hornets Nest so I can borrow it ...I have Forgotten Garden and read it a couple weeks or maybe a month or so ago ... it was one I had to just get in and read ...if I ever laid it down I had to go back  bit to keep track of where I was ...just had to dig and and read
Translab July 2 ,2007

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1542 on: August 18, 2010, 05:17:43 pm »
I highly recommend The Book Thief.  Everyone I know who has read it was moved by it. If you want something totally charming that will make you feel good at the end, read The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig. Every once in a while you just need to read something about good people that ends well. Right now I am finishing listening to the third installment  in The Girl Who...series.  I have it on my MP3 player and listen to it while I am on the treadmill, so I am only 3/4 of the way through it.  I am only on the treadmill about 45 minutes at a time, so it is taking more than a few sessions to get through 19 hours of book! :D I also listened to it when I was driving to NE and back.  Made the miles go by faster.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1543 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:42 pm »
Priscilla -

thanks for the suggestions.  I'm anxiously awaiting the 3rd and final book in the Hunger Games series, but after that comes out and I read it, I definitely need suggestions.

Question about The Girl Who . . . series - do you have to read them in order?  I've seen one or two, but didn't know if they were sequels or "stand-alone" books. 

If they are sequels, can you tell me which ones came first, second, etc.?

Appreciate it,

Jan

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1544 on: August 19, 2010, 12:02:05 am »
Jan, it is better to read them in sequence.  I think they would make more sense.
1.  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
2.  The Girl Who Played With Fire
3.  The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

I just read that the 4th manuscript may be released.  After Larsson died, there was so much fighting over his estate.  Evidently his live in girlfriend has the manuscript and there are negotiations in process.  Can't wait!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego