Author Topic: Advice please on return to work  (Read 8038 times)

cherchemt

Advice please on return to work
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:26:31 am »
Hello all,

I am a new member of this group.  I recently learned that I have a 2.2 cm AN with a matching cyst, which has greatly affected my hearing.  (I was sure I just had genetic hearing loss -- common in my family -- so probably waited much longer than I should have to be diagnosed).  I am scheduled for trans lab surgery with a BAHA implant with Dr. Friedman at USC on 5/17.

I have read many posts on this web board about returning to work, and I know that everyone's experience is different. I can't quite figure out, though, what the symptoms are that prevent someone from returning to work. I am an active 47-year old mother of four. I also am a lawyer who runs my own firm. It would be difficult to leave my clients in limbo and/or to pass them on to another lawyer for any significant length of time.  Am I crazy to hope I can come back to work on a limited basis a couple weeks after surgery (2-4 hours/day)?  What kinds of symptoms am I likely to be dealing with that will affect my ability to work -- fatigue? dizziness? cognitive issues? coping with SSD? I am just trying to get a better idea of what issues I may be addressing and what the timeline might be.  I know everyone is different, but I would love to hear some of your stories.

Thanks so much for your insight.  This web board is an invaluable resource!   

researcher

Re: Advice please on return to work
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »
Hopefully, you will be able to return to work that quickly.

For dizziness, buy lower heeled shoes. Have a reclining chair or couch for a quick catnaps. Tell your staff and clients what you are going through. You could find one great article that explains the surgery and send it to you family and friends. Have backup lawyers in case your recovery takes longer. Teach your children to cook and clean up. You will be tired.

If you do end up SSD just turn your hearing ear to the pillow. You will not hear anything and will get the best sleep ever! Take care.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:53:54 pm »

turn your hearing ear to the pillow. You will not hear anything and will get the best sleep ever!

I wish that would work for me. I sleep on my good ear and wake up once or twice during the night.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

michellef08

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:13:48 pm »
I was 27 when I had my surgery - and went back to work full time 9-5 at 6 weeks post-op. I felt like I was ready to drive around 4 weeks, but played it safe just because I could. I was lucky enough to have my hearing preserved so I didn't have to adjust to SSD. My biggest factor was feeling tired. You have to remember - your body will be going through a major surgery, and hours of anesthesia, so you will have to try to relax and let yourself fully recover. My brain felt ready to go out and run errands, but my body told me I wasn't ready and I needed daily naps, especially in the first few weeks. I would feel like I was healthy enough to go to the grocery store - but after being there for a few minutes - my body would kind of hit a brick wall (white face, sweating, tired, thoughts spinning) and I would have to go home and take a nap. If everything goes smoothly, and you can really relax for the first 3-4 weeks, then I think you should be ready to work a few hours a day after that. But I would try to take as much off your plate as you can! Try to use this as an opportunity to take a break and be pampered! :)
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

rupert

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:36:08 pm »
It's always good to let your body tell you when.  I wouldn't consider doing much at all for at least a month.  Not only do you have the fatigue and balance issues but, you will also have the physical healing that must take place.  Everyone will tell you, take it easy for a while.  Then let your body dictate from there.  If you feel like going in to work for a couple hours then do it.  If your body rejects that idea you will know it.  If your ok  after that just take a little more at a time.   Generally I think most people look at 4-6 weeks min and possibly out to 12.  Please don't under estimate the need to rest as it is a big part of the healing process.

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:35 pm »
Good advice from all,, this is major surgery and it's going to take awhile to recover enough to "think straight ". You will be SSD from the translab so your brain will be working hard to adjust to one sided hearing plus balance issues. Fatigue will be extreme for several weeks. You will need naps and there won't be any getting around it. As some said,, you can feel great and all of a sudden,, it hits you like a wall!  :o,,, your brain puts a stop to forward movement quickly. I was totally surprised at how I would feel better until I got in public with all the stimulus from multiple sources and my brain would overload and I'd HAVE to lay down.

I acknowledge everyone is different and you are younger than I ,, but I know how I felt from a 12 hour translab surgery for at least 5- 6 weeks. I think you will experience every symptom you mentioned also.  Just be sure you have some backup help at home and work.
Best of luck to you!!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

caryawilson

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
I would be surprised if you could get to work quicker than 6 weeks. As noted above.. When your brain wants to rest it shuts down. Your body may be willing but the brain is the boss. I agree with everying here. Some days I would have grand plans and then after a couple hours my brain will shut down. Nothing to do, except rest
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

cherchemt

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:49:31 pm »
Thank you all for the input.  It's very useful to hear from those of you who have been here.  Luckily, my teenagers are pretty self-sufficient and my law partners are willing to pitch in as much as they can. Also, I have started to tell clients and opposing counsel about the surgery, and everyone has been very understanding. I am trying to keep my calendar pretty clear for about 4 weeks . . . but I imagine I will have to put out fires more than I would like.

Some forced time off may not be the worst thing in the world for me -- but it's scary to think about being in limbo for so long. I suppose I am hoping that the sooner I get back to "normal," the better I will feel. I think I am most afraid of getting depressed if I sit around and think about all of this too much.

Thanks again!  I will keep you all posted.

NEbluebells

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:19:19 pm »
Cherchemt, I am also really concerned about when I can return to work/taking care of my preschool-aged kids. I am scheduled for surgery on 12 May, so I guess I will let you know how it goes. I will tell you I got several opinions - the doctor in NE said 6 weeks, the doctor in IA said he starts people off on FMLA for 4 weeks and the House was the most generous and gave me 8 weeks of FMLA leave right off the bat.  There is a story on the internet of a radio dj that made it his goal to return to work in 1 month - he was successful.  I will see if I can locate the story and post it.
2.2 x 1.9 x 0.9 AN diagnosed Mar 16
No sense in being pessimistic, it won't work anyway ;)
Translab at House May 16 - Couldn't have asked for better results!

NEbluebells

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:45:10 pm »
This is the link from the inspiring dj that made it back to work in 4 weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWTaAjodlxU 
I found the video very inspiring.
2.2 x 1.9 x 0.9 AN diagnosed Mar 16
No sense in being pessimistic, it won't work anyway ;)
Translab at House May 16 - Couldn't have asked for better results!

ANGuy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:23:45 pm »
FMLA time doesn't need to be contiguous or scheduled.  You can come and go pretty much as you please over a 12 month period as long as the time does not exceed total 12 weeks worth of time off. 
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

alabamajane

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:09 am »
At the risk of getting too far off topic since Cherchmt didn't ask about FMLA leave,, I feel the previous statement needs some clarification,,

The leave is for up to 12 weeks per 12 month period; however, it is guaranteed only for eligible employees who meet one of 4 categories of need and a doctor has certified a need and timeframe. It is not " come and go" as the employee desires and I'm sure the employer would require it be scheduled.

NEbluebell you may get 6 or 8 weeks to begin with and your doctor may re-certify you anytime  after that time for more weeks  if you aren't doing well.

I hope both of you are able to return to work as soon as possible realizing you will most likely need rest periods along the way.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

cherchemt

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:08 pm »
I just love that all of you have so much information and advice -- Thank you!! 

Being my own boss is a double edged sword: on the one hand, I can take as much time off as I need; on the other hand, I won't earn any money and will probably lose some clients if I stay away too long.  I will definitely play it by ear and come back as I am able.  I am a big believer in the power of positive thinking, so I am just planning on being thankful for having a great surgeon on board and hopeful that I'll be able to settle into a "new normal" as quickly as I can.

Best of luck to you NEBluebells -- pre-school aged kids are certainly more tiring than teenagers and a full-time law practice combined!  ;)

Many thanks to you all!

Rhcdad

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 03:10:41 pm »
Personally I would step back and think about yourself long term, not short term. I was out 12 weeks, I work as a Manufacturing Engineer, I lost my hearing in my left ear. Looking back I found 12 weeks to soon, I also felt like I was letting people down at work while I was out but then you have to stop and think about yourself. I am now 6 months post - op and just starting to feel almost like my NEW somewhat self. Every one is different, you will have to judge for yourself but again I would look in the long term. Things just seem to take time. At least for me. Best of luck, stay strong!!
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

ANGuy

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 03:31:08 pm »
At the risk of getting too far off topic since Cherchmt didn't ask about FMLA leave,, I feel the previous statement needs some clarification,,

The leave is for up to 12 weeks per 12 month period; however, it is guaranteed only for eligible employees who meet one of 4 categories of need and a doctor has certified a need and timeframe. It is not " come and go" as the employee desires and I'm sure the employer would require it be scheduled.

NEbluebell you may get 6 or 8 weeks to begin with and your doctor may re-certify you anytime  after that time for more weeks  if you aren't doing well.

I hope both of you are able to return to work as soon as possible realizing you will most likely need rest periods along the way.

No offense, but I can tell you from personal experience that your information regarding FMLA is incorrect.  The last person that told me what you just posted saw first hand that I didn't need to schedule anything and my Dr's note was open ended for the 12 mos as you stated.  Also, you can simply open another "case" after the 12 mos is expired.

I was prepared to be accommodating with my employer until they decided to push my buttons.  Then I took Fridays off and had 3 day weekends without notifying them beforehand until they got the point.

This was not even for my own illness, but involved a family member.  So, I came and went as I pleased based on a Dr's note for someone who wasn't even me and all they could do about it was act like I never took the day(s) off when I came back other than to dock my pay.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.