Author Topic: 4 Hours Post Surgery & Counting!!  (Read 7822 times)

jays

4 Hours Post Surgery & Counting!!
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:35 pm »
Hello Everyone!

I'm Jay's partner and I just wanted to let everyone know he got out of surgery a few hours ago.  Since he obviously isn't able to type, he asked that I do a few posts for him.  The doctors said the surgery went well and they were able to get the tumor out compeltely without touching too much of the facial nerve.  Unfortunately, they said the tumor was stuck inbetween the superior and inferior hearing nerves and so there's a good chance he will not have any hearing in that ear after recovery.

I was just in the ICU to see him and since I can only see him for 10 minutes every hour, I didn't get to talk with him too much.  He's obviously pretty out of it and the only pain he had was in his abdomen area where they took out the fat they used to patch up the incision on his head.  Since his tumor was pretty small (less than 1cm), his other balance nerve hadn't started compensating for his bad one so he's very, very dizzy.  He kept saying that it feels like he's laying on his side and everything is at a 90 degree angle. 

I don't know if he actually is hearing anything or but he did say he thought he was hearing things out of the ear that the doctors said he probably lost hearing in.  We won't really know anything until the swelling has gone down and some of the fluid is gone.  They said in a few days they will be doing some audiology tests to see about the hearing in that ear. 

Either his brother or I will do another post in a day or two to document his progress and anything that is worth sharing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Brent Worwa
left AN
4mm x 7mm
Middle Fossa microsurgery at House Clinic 09/09/09 Dr. Fayad and Dr. Schwartz
SSD

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 4 Hours Post Surgery & Counting!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:50:47 pm »
Hi, Brent ~

Thanks for the very encouraging update on Jay!  When you're able, let him know his 'AN friends' are rooting for him.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 04:03:59 pm »
Brent~
Thanks for keeping us updated...make sure & take care of yourself too!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:09 pm »
Thanks for the update, Brent!  Always good to hear when folks are out of surgery and on their way to recovery. 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:37:42 pm »
I echo everyone else:  Glad to hear he's recovering - yes,  the balance issue is really something post surg.   I told my mother after 1 week I felt like I was walking on a suspended walkway & it was windy out !   Like Kay said, 'take care of yourself' - he's really going to need you once you guys are home.
My mom did the cooking, shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc for about 2 weeks, with me helping little by little.
Jay will feel like a mac truck hit him for a little while - rest, walk, eat, sleep will be his routine for awhile.
Continued healing to Jay, 
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 05:59:06 pm »
Brent -

thanks for the update; we worry about our fellow forumites.  I'm glad to hear that Jay is out of surgery and doing well.  Mid-fossa is generally the best surgical approach for saving hearing, but it sounds like the location of Jay's tumor might have been an issue.  Time will tell.  If he does end up SSD (single-sided deaf), don't let him get too depressed about it - lots of people learn to adjust and those who don't have options.

It's normal to be "out of it" the first few days post op, so rest assured that Jay is on on the path to recovery.

As others have said, take of yourself - Jay will need lots of help when he gets home; at least for a little while.

Please keep us updated and tell Jay we all send our best  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mellowrama

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:26:43 pm »
Hi Brent,

I'm so glad to hear Jays is out of surgery and doing well!  I was just there with my partner and all went well, and I've been eager to hear how is doing. 
Best to you all,
Melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

NL

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:37:46 pm »
Hi Brent!

Thanks for posting the update so quickly!

Please give Jay our best! And yes, take care of yourself, too!

I was very happy we had a chance to connect before Jay's big day.  :)

Looking forward to your next update,

Nancy

(P.S. - Melinda - you sound like you're doing great, too!  ;D)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:39:54 pm by NL »
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:14:31 pm »
We like to say that the first three days don't count, so you still have 2 days 20 hours to go. :)

Good to hear that Jay did well. Best wishes for the recovery!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jays

One week Post Surgery!!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25:39 pm »
Hello everyone!

It is now a full week since my surgery.  I am happy to report I am up and moving around on my own despite the floor not seeming level.  Each day it seems like I'm getting a little more comfortable on my feet.  I knew it would take some time, but I just didn't realize how much my balance would be effected.  In time, I know that my right side will compensate and I'll be good to go again.  I do have SSD on my left side, but still have a lot of pressure and some 'white' noise and clicking from time to time which is strange.  I'm seeing Dr. Stefan this afternoon, Dr. Fayad tomorrow to have my staples removed, and hopefully heading home on Saturday!  Whoo Hoo. 

For now I'm just taking it easy here at Seton.  I can only tolerate looking at a computer screen, or watching TV for a short amount of time.

I want to thank all of you for your caring words, support and prayers.  A special thank you to the LA bunch (Nancy, Lainie, and David) for meeting with me prior to my surgery.  You helped me more than I think I can tell you.

Jay
 ;D
left AN
4mm x 7mm
Middle Fossa microsurgery at House Clinic 09/09/09 Dr. Fayad and Dr. Schwartz
SSD

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:09:45 pm »
AWESOME NEWS...walk, walk, rest and more walk....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 02:56:55 pm »
So good to hear from you, Jay!  The pressure should ease up some before too long and you're right, your brain will begin to compensate and you WILL be good to go!  As JO said, walk, rest, walk, rest...or, rest, walk, rest, walk! 

And wasn't it so great to meet those LA angels out there!

Keep us posted as you're up to it,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »
Hey, Jay ~

Thanks for posting an update!  It appears as if your recovery is progressing fairly normally.  Balance issues are common, post-op and of course, the SSD is going to be an adjustment.  All in all, I think you're doing fine.  I'll simply echo Jo and Cindy's advice that rest is crucial at this point and to get all you can, while you can.  We all want a quick recovery but overdoing it, too soon, can cause unwanted set-backs, so rest as you need to and post again when you can.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 05:56:28 am »
Jay, you sound great!  I am glad that release time is on schedule..the balance thing will right itself...small tumors have the most adjustment, I think, because the body hasn't compensated already.  Rude awakening for the body!  I think it was Alicia who told me about some patterns in the wood grain near the nurses' station that drove her crazy but by the end, her eyes could adjust to that..step by step by step....good luck in ALL!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

mellowrama

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 11:16:19 pm »
So glad to hear you're doing better! I've been wondering how you're doing.  Did you have nurse jackie too? :D  That cracked me up...it was hard to keep track of all the nurses,etc but funny to wake up and see the name changes.

Staples?  I didn't have those...just long stiches.

melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011