Author Topic: Tinnitus "remedy" ... have you heard?  (Read 7924 times)

grega

Tinnitus "remedy" ... have you heard?
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:16:03 am »
Hi all,

First, here's wishing you a good day!  :D

Quite a bit lately, I've heard radio advertisements in the Baltimore area for "Quietus" .... a remedy claimed to stop all the ringing, buzzing, chirping, etc, of tinnitus.  So I called (800-865-9338) and spoke to a rep as the "relative" of a long-time tinnitus sufferer. 

Long story short ..... it's a proprietary formula mfg'd by Preval .... and "catagorized as effective by the FDA's homeopathic division".  They offer a "30-day risk-free trial" ... meaning you have to purchase some larger amount of the product (I didn't ask how much), but can opt for a full money-back guarantee if not satisfied. 

Being the curious kind, I asked who decides what dosage my "relative" should take ..... "the dosage is up to the consumer, but it's recommended that one be taken in the a.m. and one in the p.m."  And ...... "it takes a couple weeks to take effect."

I told the guy I'd pass on the info in case my "relative" might be interested.  Anyone else heard these ads?  Anyone try it?  Results?

thanks, Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

ernie h

Re: Tinnitus "remedy" ... have you heard?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:40:21 pm »
yes same old story right.get rich scheme on the sick. sad.ty for the heads up.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

moe

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:38:51 pm »
Nope never heard of it. But if you try it let us know if it works!
Since I am SSD with severe tinnitus, I'm double cursed unless they find something they can implant in the brain to stop the madness :o
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 11:53:30 pm »
It might be worth a shot, as homeopathic medicines are completely safe. I doubt it will help, though. A lot of natural remedies focus on "constitutional" approaches, in which an imbalance is attempted to be corrected. Traditional Chinese doctors, for example, believe garden-variety tinnitus is caused by an imbalance of the liver and/or kidneys. It's possible this homeopathic medicine is also targeted at improving the function of these organs. If so, it may not do much to help tinnitus caused by an AN. Although, any general improvement in overall health should also lessen symptoms of disease.

In simple terms for people who have an AN, the tinnitus is caused by damage to the hearing nerve and the brain's reaction to that damage. Homeopathic medicine can't repair the hearing nerve, so I doubt it would help the tinnitus much. But if the cost is modest, it would be worth trying, again because it couldn't hurt.

If you do try it, please let us all know what your experience is with it.

Thanks,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

grega

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:46:31 am »
Hi ernie, Maureen & TW .... thanks for your feedback!  Since I'm skeptical of this type ad, I don't intend to buy it, but would welcome supporting info on its claim as a remedy.

Maureen, in a post to LoopyLupy on tinnitus (7/11 @ 9pm), you said to PM you on tinnitus support.  Can you generalize here on what you mean?  Or please PM me to discuss.

Appreciate it!

Greg
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:03:31 am »
Greg -

I'm one of the very few on the Forum that don't suffer from tinnitus, but IMO you should be very skeptical of this "remedy".

I know lots of people with tinnitus - both AN patients and non-AN patients - and I don't think anyone has been cured yet.

If it were that easy, so many wouldn't suffer from it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wcrimi

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 05:19:50 pm »
I was taking some vitamins for awhile (lipo flavinoid).  The tinntus improved, but I couldn't correlate it to the vitamins with any degree of certainty because I started soon after surgery. They were expensive. So I stopped them and things really didn't deteriorate much.  My doctor was sort of discouraging about the chances of them helping, but he didn't rule it out because he said some patients had reported improvement. I may try again at some point.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »
This site has some links related to healthcare fraud and buyer beware info.

http://quackwatch.com/

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:28:01 pm »
I should've mentioned this earlier in this thread, but there are a couple things I've done that have improved my tinnitus: niacin and manganese. I stopped taking the niacin because taking large doses over an extended period of time is toxic to the liver, and it started making me nauseous before I realized what was going on. I still do take manganese, however, whenever my tinnitus increases in volume to where it's annoying (which isn't that often anymore). It seems to consistently reduce the volume. Subjectively, manganese seems to work as well or better for me than niacin, and without the toxic side effects.

Chocolate, on the other hand, seems to make my tinnitus worse, so I rarely eat that anymore.  :(

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

wcrimi

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 09:36:33 am »
Chocolate, on the other hand, seems to make my tinnitus worse, so I rarely eat that anymore.  :(

Best wishes,
TW

I am finding that any junk food (especially if it contains a lot of salt) causes a problem for me a few hours later.  I guess there's a plus side to that in that I am eating better, but sorry, for an Italian boy like me, PIZZA is worth a few hours of loud ear hissing and a high pitched tones.   ;D
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

ernie h

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:03:06 am »
i haven't been able to figure out any correlation to different foods.it just seems to be not bad for a while and then terrible for quite some time.i've kept a log on food and other things sleep patterns etc.and i don't use caffein so i don't know.my doctors have no good answers???.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

moe

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 12:30:53 pm »
TW,
Thanks for the manganese tip. I may try it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

epodjn

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 01:54:20 pm »
I have been reading up on a new therapy for tinnitus. Since the sound isn't in our ears (all hearing stuff taken out at surgery) it's just a game our brains are playing with us. The local unversity is doing experiments with trying to retrain the brain to not produce the "sound" we are hearing. Interesting. I'll let you know if it looks like there might be something to it.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

grega

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 06:10:17 am »
Hi epodjn,

I'd really be interested in more info on that study.  Please tell us what univ mailing list we might add our names for current info on it ... or to research past info.  Would hate to burden you with trying to pass along all relevant info ..... anyway, there might be additional links for other related info.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

Mickey

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 09:18:12 am »
 If you want to find out the latest on whats going on with tinnitus just go into the American Tinnitus Association.  http://www.ata.org/  I`ve attended their meeting and found them pretty much up on the latest.   They steared me in the direction of neuronomics which has helped me.  Mickey