Author Topic: Other Tumors  (Read 3426 times)

Samman

Other Tumors
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:58:58 am »
What are the chances of me developing tumors elsewhere in my body? I had an AN removed in December of 2006 and although I am not too concerned about AN showing up again, I am somewhat concerned about other tumors.

Thanks.
3cm AN
Procedure: Trans-lab Approach
Dr. Benjamin Gelber
Hospital: BryanLGH-West, Lincoln, NE
Date of surgery: 12/29/06

TP

Re: Other Tumors
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:57:36 am »
I don't have any scientific info but for my personal situation, I've had some cysts and lumps removed. The good news all these lumps and bumps are non cancerous!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:27:49 am »
Like TP, I am not aware of scientific info/data either.... but long prior to my AN diagnosis (and since my AN diagnosis as well), I have had many lumpy-bumpy issues... most benign, one malignancy diagnosis.  Based on the diagnoses I've received, I cannot find any correllation to the AN as they are totally in non-related places and types.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:53:59 am »
Samman -

here's a think to another thread that asks this very same question  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9319.0

I thought it might helpful for you to read other's responses  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

grega

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:23:27 pm »
Hi Samman,

One of the post-ers herein, Kate, has a great website (http://anworld.com)  on which you can find lots of links to lots of helpful info.  One of the links on one of the links is this one .... it might help answer your question.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/tumors/acoustic_neuroma.htm

Also, you might try googling "acoustic neuroma causes" for other informative spots.

Stay well!

Greg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:25:56 pm by grega »
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 04:50:55 am »
John,

For many years I have also been one of the lumpy bumpy ones.  Cysts on kidneys, head, and breast cancer and melanomas on my nose and then wham and AN and then NF2.  You have raised an interesting question or thoughts.  I just figured I was one of the "lucky" ones.  Oh and gliousis in the central nervous system and of course MS.  It does make you stop and wonder if all this is related in some way.
By the way, how are you doing?
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:25:45 pm »
As usual, I guess I'm the anomaly.  Except for my AN, I've never had any other tumors, cysts, 'growths', etc.   Proving nothing at all, I suppose.  Just wanted to inject a note of skepticism into the mix.  Mission accomplished.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sarahinPA

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:14:00 am »
i was told by my doctor ( Dr. Douglas Kondziolka at UPMC Pittsburgh) that because my body has already produced a tumor on its on i am at higher risk to develop other tumors cancerous or not..just a little note from my dr.

good luck!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

clr

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:00:01 am »
My daughter was told the same thing as sarahinpa.

Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »
John,

For many years I have also been one of the lumpy bumpy ones.  Cysts on kidneys, head, and breast cancer and melanomas on my nose and then wham and AN and then NF2.  You have raised an interesting question or thoughts.  I just figured I was one of the "lucky" ones.  Oh and gliousis in the central nervous system and of course MS.  It does make you stop and wonder if all this is related in some way.
By the way, how are you doing?
Brenda

Unfortunately, I'm like Brenda... many growths, most benign... and all were diagnosed before my AN diagnosis... go figure.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"