Author Topic: Time and Facial Recovery  (Read 2267 times)

Jeanlea

Time and Facial Recovery
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:51 pm »
I got a new computer and ended up looking through my old photos taken at intervals after my surgery.  I don't even have the ones from immediatly after surgery.  Lost those someone.  The ones I have start with about 5 months after surgery.  My face really drooped.  Now, after nearly 3 1/2 years my facial problems are so much less noticeable.  I have to be talking to someone for awhile before they even notice it.  I really noticed that the lines under my nose used to really pull over to the good side.  Now they don't pull at all.  When I speak both sides of my mouth move now. 

Just wanted to let those people at the beginning of this journey that there can be major improvements if you wait long enough.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Time and Facial Recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:13:36 pm »
          Jean,   I am so happy to read about your facial symmetry returning (au natural). 

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

chrissmom

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:52:22 pm »
Jean:
You're doing great.  You give me  hope that someday Christopher's face will completely reanimate.  It has been 27 months since the anastomosis, (he had it done 3 mo. after the tumor surgery) and he just had the sling operation a month ago.  We do see some major movement now and no synkinesis.  I guess it is better that the recovery is slow.  I've been following your story for quite a while now and I am really impressed.    ;D
Rita

KathyC

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »
Jeanlea, so good to hear about someone who came out on the other side and back to pretty much normal. I am 10 months into recovery and I'd rather hear about the people who are on the upswing and coming back to what they were pre-surgery.  Thank you for an uplifting post, I really appreciate it.