Author Topic: Nerve Block  (Read 12877 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Nerve Block
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:53:46 pm »
Hey folks!
Well, I just had my first nerve block done by an anesthesiologist last Wednesday.  Hurt like hell for 2 days but now I'm off like a racehorse, doing things that would have had me knocked out previously.  Now someone please tell me why my neurologist didn't send me to this guy 5 years ago? I'm beyond fuming.  Did he think that it wouldn't at least help? Granted it would have been way expensive considering the pain clinic the anestheiologist works at doesn't take my insurance (or didn't at the time--yay Medicare) but that's my call, don't ya think?

Anyway, my last headache neurologist at the headache clinic (different guy than the one who referred me to the anesthesio) gave me some injections--about 20 of them at once all over my head, but they seem way different than these suckers.  He gave be about 2 right in the old occipital nerve, and then two more sets of 2 where my incision area "fires up" when I'm getting a migraine. Actually, who knows if they are even really migraines--they have migraine symptoms, but maybe they are really "headache attacks."

I asked the anthesio if he was familiar with the term "scar neuroma" and he said "yeah--sore scar"

So anyway--so far so good--I don't know how long it will last!

Capt Deb
Voodoo dollhead!
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Re: Nerve Block
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:01:55 pm »
Yeah, Capt Deb!  I am glad that you are feeling some relief. This answers the question as to where your pain is coming from. (Outside the skull, rather than inside.) This is a huge step in the right direction. The source of your pain is finally being treated.

I get the impression that there is a little bit of a turf war between the pain clinics and the headache clinics. They have different approaches. (Kind of like radiation vs surgery for ANs.) Also, treatment of pain has come a long way in 5 years. Before, it seemed to be anybody's guess what was causing these headaches. I think recently, the occipital nerves and scar neuromas are finally being recoginzed as a source of long term post AN surgery headaches by some doctors.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:07:49 pm »
Outstanding news, Capt!  ;D

I'm sorry that this relief has been so long in coming, but at the same time I'm thrilled that someone has finally found the remedy you needed!

Here's hoping the block lasts a good long time!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:55 am »
OK - Seems like good news I am pleased for you
can you help us with the what, why, when, and how ?
Basically what nerve have they blocked ?
- and for how long
It seems to have helped you -
I guess there are others would try it ?
Best Regards
Tony

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:38:37 am »
Would like to cheer you on Deb and pray for continued pain-free days for you.  You certainly have been through the "ringer" what with dx's of migraines, meds, and the "gee don't know how to help ya's" and it's about time you can experience freedom!  Let your creative juices flow, now get back to doing that which you are great at--living life to it's fullest!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:54:14 am »
Capt. Deb,
  Glad to hear that you have your mojo working.  May it last a long time.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:33:23 am »
I've had two nerve blocks.  The 1st one I did get some relief but the 2nd one I didn't.  Mind you I do have a scar neuroma and the injections were along the scar and in the neuroma.  I have been having a lot of pain.  I cannot put my hair behind my ear because it kills.  Sleeping isn't great because I can't sleep on my left side.  I have been having terrible headaches again with the pressure behind my left eye.  I see my Dr July 31st.  All I can say is I'm so glad I'm not working at the moment, I wouldn't be able to handle it.  Now it is my Dr who is injecting me.  I wonder if I should be going to a pain clinic.  My Dr did say he needs to remove the neuroma and scrape down the bone.  Has any one heard of this? 

Capt Deb,
I'm so glad you finally have relief!! 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:58 am »
Anne Marie,

Pressure behind the eye is symptomatic of occipital nerve irritation. (My scar neuroma and occipital nerve were both firing.) I would feel more comfortable going to an anesthesiologist at a pain clinic for a nerve block. They seem to have the most experience. It is within their specialty.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 11:29:37 am »
YEA Capt Deb!!!

I am so glad that you have some relief - it was a long time coming!  Hope this will work for a good while!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

staypoz

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 02:18:01 pm »
Captain Deb, I am so glad you have found some relief.  Enjoy, enjoy.

staypoz 

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 08:16:56 pm »
OK - Seems like good news I am pleased for you
can you help us with the what, why, when, and how ?
Basically what nerve have they blocked ?
- and for how long
It seems to have helped you -
I guess there are others would try it ?
Best Regards
Tony

Like I said, Two shots in the occipital nerve and 4 more along the incision line (middle fossa) where it fires up when I'm having a migraine, just above my ear.  The doc said he doesn't know how long they'll last because patients respond differently but he's hoping for several months.  BTW I just got the bill for $700 and Medicare is picking up 80%.  Today I spent all day helping Dr Love paint trim on a house we're selling--something I thought I'd never be able to ever do again. ALL DAY!!!!!! How about THAT!!!

Capt Deb

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:03 pm »
Wow, Capt !!!  Painting the trim on the house - very impressive.

It sounds like this nerve block is really working.  And Medicare picking up 80%!  That's fantastic!

Life is good  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 11:52:51 pm »
I'm betting that your Dr Love is also loving this. It is not everyday that you can get someone to paint house trim all day, and be excited about it!

It does sound like magic to me, and all about where the shots go. What magic potion is in the shot, anyway?

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 08:27:27 pm »
It's called Depomedrol and is a form of prednisone.  I went back on Thursday and had another injection on the left and one on the right just for the heck of it.  I actually feel like my old self again.  He also prescribed a cream with ketoprophen in it for my neck that our local compounding pharmacist whips up.

Dr Love and I are off to the beach for a week to do some windsurfing and kiteboarding and shagging (the southern beach music dancing kind of shagging, you morons!)
Wish me luck!

Capt Deb
Voodoo Doll Head

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 09:51:29 pm »
I am SOOOOOO happy that you have finally found some relief!!!

Have fun playing!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!