Author Topic: What are AN people doing for a joyous Christmas Eve and Day?  (Read 14202 times)

Palace

• Palace
What are AN people doing for a joyous Christmas Eve and Day?
« on: December 17, 2006, 05:02:02 am »
 ;)

It will be raining so, we are having supper in front of the fireplace at a dark (100 year old restaurant) and a dressy place, locally in the mountains.  We will be very dressed-up for that night.  (extremely fancy)  Sometimes getting dressy helps you feel better.  (somewhat)  That is for Christmas Eve.

Since I'm suffering with the AN symptoms and the fatigue, we will probably have our doggy gathering party for present opening on Christmas morning.  (also predicted to be a rain-day)  My dog Molucca sellected a present under the tree a few days ago and opened it.  It was a big squeaky turtle with long legs that she can shake back and forth.  I suppose it is like shaking a critter to death, in the animal world.  These are Golden Retriever litter-mates so, it would be a bird to them.  (just one of those *instanct* things.

On the happier note........What are you people doing for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?  Let's talk HAPPY!

Were any of you able to attend a holiday party, too?  (and I hope you AN symptoms didn't stop you from the joys of life)  These past six months, it stopped me, flat.  It isn't easy to enjoy anything with those symptoms all at once sometimes.  They come and go for me, these days.

So, what is on for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for you ANer's?  Talking happy now........

On a more fun week.......we hope,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
Re: What are AN people doing for a joyous Christmas Eve and Day?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:55:51 am »
Oh one last thought, I may have to drink coffee to stay up.  We used to have our holiday mostly on the eve of X-mas.  The dogs actually open presents.  We would take pictures, etc.  (come home after eating out)  We might have to put off the celebraton until the next morning.  I can't stay up late since this CK issue.  I have no night-life anymore, as you all know.  I hope Cheryl has something wrapped for her Black Lab.   :)  Cheryl, and others a new motto of mine since the AN diagnosis is to LIVE FOR TODAY.

Merry Christmas.....

Palace
single sided deafness

Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:42:10 am »
Live for today, during the day. that's my new motto. :)  I'm like you, no night life at all, the little I had has vanished.

I'll be eating tapas and drinking cava on Christmas day, somewhere in Andalucia southern Spain – escaping the dreary weather here.. Will spend most of the day wandering around taking photographs, if the waether is good. Otherwise i'll check us into a spa and stay there for a few days. I'll be drinking to your health, all of you!

Ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 11:13:38 am by Lorenzo »

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:45:09 am »
Lorenzo will you take me with you?  Sounds lovely!
I'll be spending xmas eve with my brothers family. He has my soon to be 4 year old niece who likes to play pirates with me  ;D Xmas morning my son and I are going to sleep in and have a quiet present exchange.
Then off to the sisters house for a quick bite as that's all I can stand of that side of the family then follow up with dinner at my gf's! 

Merry Christmas to all!

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:24:50 am »
Sure, come on over, the more the merrier! I can hear the Cava corks popping; could be my tinnitus mind you...  :)  Yours doesn't soud bad either, except the sisterly thing in the middle that is. We all have some of those. We're escaping, but got dragged into the family stuff anyway, last week! Horror.
Ciao, Lorenzo

Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 01:04:59 pm »
Sounds great. Cubed and roasted potatoes with rosemary and sea salt too?
Lorenzo

Obita

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 02:06:31 pm »
Hi everyone:

I did attend my company holiday party this year.  It was at a 100 year old hotel, just renovated etc....all went well except for the usual "I can't hear you" and constantly turning my head etc...I stayed 3 hours which was a hour too much.  My head felt like it weighed ten tons.  I am glad I went but dreaded going.......I like being home where it is quiet.

Christmas Eve at little brothers. Christmas Day the family scatters.  Maggie Rose, my 13 year old golden retriever and I visit my dad in the nursing home.  It usually takes us a half hour to get to my dad's room.  Maggie needs to stop in every room on the way. 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 02:18:36 pm »
Palace,

I'll be supplying the "kool-aid" !heeeheeeee

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

redgrl

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 02:48:12 pm »
Cooking for my brother and 3 year old. Im in seattle and my family is in philly. It's all good though. Just having any family around is good times! :D
4 cm left side AN. Translab Sept 20th 06 at virginia mason w/Dr. Backous & Dr. Nussbaum. Second surgery Oct 15th 06 to repair CFS leak.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 03:19:55 pm »
 ;)

Hi All,

It sounds like each of you have some fun, cozy and interesting plans.  Thanks for sharing.  We all know each other and it is nice to picture in our minds what you will be doing, since this is a "caring group."

It is going to be in the upper 20's tonight but, we are going out to look at Christmas lights.  (huge lit homes that do lots each year)

We used to light candles on Christmas eve when we got home from supper and open gifts.  We might just go to bed early and light candles at 2:00 AM or 3:00 AM the way things are going.  The ceremony is more for the dogs this year.  (med bills)  This is also the first year that I didn't do much decorating at all.  *(since just out of Stanford treatments and so tired)

Well, enjoy and I hope everyone is enjoying hearing about each-others Christmas plans.  I'm enjoying hearing....

Have a SAFE HOLIDAY...

Palace
single sided deafness

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 07:59:47 pm »
Bruce...it's our traditon to have leg of lamb every Christmas...my great-grandfather was a sheep rancher.   To me the smell of lamb means Christmas.  We have it the traditional English way, with mint sauce.  Just me, BF, mom and dad on Christmas eve.

On Christmas Eve eve, I'll be on a "snow train" to a quaint Bavarian town in our mountains....5 hours up and back on the train while they serve us breakfast and dinner, and 5 hours in town in the snow where it's very holidayish.  I'm very excited. 

I hope everyone has a very nice holiday and I'm looking forward to a new and different and no more AN year in 2007. 

Hugs to everyone!

Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 09:07:13 pm »
 Wonderful thread!!

I am spending Christmas eve with my crazy, loud and lovable Italian family and a quiet Christmas Day with my hubby, three sons (two -2 legged and one 4 legged) and a delicious Prime Rib.

My Lab Cosmo checks his gifts under the tree several times day. How do I know this?  DROOL

I would however love to join Lorenzo in Spain (hey Lorenzo, no one say's I can't have two brothers with the same name ;D)

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Windsong

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 11:32:27 pm »
I'm having an early Christmas dinner with my son, a midnight church service Christmas Eve, perhaps a breakfast Christmas morning at a restaurant.....and will see extended family for New Years...

It's more than enough for me....
noise, crowds, a lot of hoofla, drive me nuts for the last couple of years... (one of my side effects of An and hearing issues)

W.

Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 12:47:02 am »
I'll be the honorary brother, Nancy. Don't have a siister!  :)  Looking forward to spending a quiet and silent Christmas in some Spanish restaurant. Perfect.
Ciao all, Lorenzo

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 07:09:02 am »
"Wow, Windsong.....that brings back long ago memories, for me!"  (the midnight church service)  I used to love going.  I couldn't stay standing for that long now, I don't think. 

I have beautiful Christmas harp music and piano music.........soft and sweet for AN people to hear so, I will light candles and have our own *service here* in the mountains.  I gave my dog Molucca an early gift last night, a big suffed tiger.  She brings in abalone shells and her cookies, drops it on the stuffed animals.  She eats the cookies but, the AB-shells remain on the top of the stuffed animal.  She has a new friend to shake and enjoy.  It was just too large to wrap.  We got it last night when we drove a good distance to view Christmas lights.  They didn't do it this year.  We were sad that there were no lights anymore.  (wonder why?)  Anyway, the good news was that we found this huge beautiful tiger for ten bucks.  She loves it!  I know we can't afford it with the AN bills this year but, it's Christmas and our dogs don't have long lives, like we do.  LIVE FOR TODAY!

That is my latest Christmas story........stay tuned........this is a fun "read" for those who don't have family and want to log on for a *holiday* connection with their AN friends.

Oh by-the-way, my husband's parents are Mormon and they have their Mormon service and friends.  We are up here in the mountains, doing our own thing.  (dog family)

We joined good friends over the Thanksgiving Holiday and that was special.

OK.........back to you guys..... ;D

Love,

Palace
single sided deafness