Author Topic: Selecting a Intenso or BP100  (Read 4094 times)

Muizen

Selecting a Intenso or BP100
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:32 am »
In a few weeks time I will be ready for connecting a Baha at one of the two screws behind my ears.
I will now have to decide what will be best for me: Intenso or BP100? So far I have been using the headband for testing these Baha's but I had too much feed back and other sounds; in addition the BP100 did malfunction and had to be send back to Cochlear.
I feel that the best way for testing is actually placing the unit on the screw but, as far as I understood, this is not done for hygienic reasons??
This is what I am being told. When this is correct it would be kind of strange that Cochlear seems to expect that I invest more than $4.500 in their Baha "hoping" that it will function well?
Could there be a misunderstanding on my part in this matter? What has been your experience when selecting your Baha?

JerseyGirl2

Re: Selecting a Intenso or BP100
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:29:50 am »
I think I'm remembering correctly that you have two abutments (one on each side), right?

I would hope that your audiologist is giving you some help with this decision-making process. General rule of thumb seems to be that if the hearing in your good (or better, in your case?) ear is perfect, or close to perfect, the BP100 should probably be your choice. If your hearing is less than perfect, the Intenso would likely be better. An enhanced Intenso -- probably to be dubbed BP200 -- is reportedly on the way for release before too long.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »
I feel that the best way for testing is actually placing the unit on the screw but, as far as I understood, this is not done for hygienic reasons??
This is what I am being told. When this is correct it would be kind of strange that Cochlear seems to expect that I invest more than $4.500 in their Baha "hoping" that it will function well?
Could there be a misunderstanding on my part in this matter? What has been your experience when selecting your Baha?

Muizen -

I wear a Divino, but tried the BP100 @ the ANA Symposium in Chicago in August.  The reps from Cochlear let me - and others who already had processors - attach the BP100 to our abutments. 

I also tried both the BP100 and the Ponto Pro by Oticon (another BAHA device just released in October) in November at my neurotologist's office to decide which one I wanted to upgrade to and I was allowed to attach them to my abutment. 

I'm not sure why you have to try the BP100 on a headband if you have an abutment.  That was not my experience. 

My doctor's office provides "loaner" devices to people who have to send theirs into Cochlear for repairs.  I doubt these loaners are attached to headbands.

Also, I agree with Catherine, your audiologist should be helping you make your choice: Intenso vs BP100.  You should ask for his/her input.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Muizen

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:11:50 am »
Thank you JerseyGirl 2 and Jan for your input.
Indeed my audiologist told me that for hygienic reasons testing Baha devices directly on the abutment was not allowed.
I contacted Cochlear to let them know that I consider it unacceptable that I would not be allowed to test the Intenso and the BP100 on the abutment.
I got a confirmation that they will review this policy.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:13:53 pm »
Wow sounds like I apparently had two "not so hygienic" devices on my head approximately 60 days ago  :o

No infection or other problems though.  Wonder if my doc's office somehow disinfects them?

On a positive note, my BP100 is being ordered from Cochlear today  ;D   ;D   ;D

Can't wait!!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:37:38 pm »
Jan,

Whatcha doin' with your old BAHA unit?  Wanna ship it down here to get me part way there?  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:09:02 pm »
Pooter -

Whatya gonna do?  Duct tape it to your head??

I wouldn't help you anyway.  I am SSD on the left - and I see from your profile that you are SSD on the right.  Believe it or not, the Divino you get is based on which side is SSD.

I don't know if this is true for the Intenso, but I think they've eliminated it with the BP100.  The Divino has a directional microphone which may be why they were designed for specific "sides".

Jan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
I think Pooter was planning a trip to Lori's garage. Or was it Kaybo's? I can't keep up with the current location of the JKL chop shop.

New idea for a garage industry: a clearinghouse for unneeded treatment paraphernalia. I have an external 1.6 gram eyelid weight gathering dust, for example.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 09:23:37 pm »
Garage surgery would be Lori's garage - although I'm not sure she currently has one.   

Seriously, I plan to follow the example of the royal family - I will have a heir and a spare.  When it comes to expensive medical devices that still work well, you just can't have enough.

There is really no reason to retire my Divino, there isn't any problem with it.  I just want the new technology, but will definitely keep the old.  Maybe if I ever start running again I'll wear my Divino for stuff like that and keep the BP100 for situations with less potential for damage.

Jan

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 08:28:40 pm »
Darn my luck. I could duct tape to my head tho as I keep it closely shaved. Oh well.

Sorry to hijack your topic. It was jan's fault. *adjsts halo a la Lori*

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager