Author Topic: PRE-OP SEPT 3RD  (Read 7039 times)

SAM-AN2009

• Facebook Page
PRE-OP SEPT 3RD
« on: August 28, 2009, 01:28:35 pm »
Yet another NY newbie here..  My pre-op is next week and I'm starting to get antsy. It's raining here in New York and the weather isn't helping.  >:(

Anyway, I would like you all to know that your stories although at times are a bit overwhelming.. nonetheless they are very informative and have reassured my decision.

Have a Blessed Weekend!
Left Side AN - Pre-Op Sept 3rd - Surgery Sept 22nd
Dr. Selesnick/ Dr. Steig
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: PRE-OP SEPT 3RD
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:59:38 pm »
Sam .....

Welcome to this Forum of caring, supportive people.  I am sorry we have been a bit overwhelming to you.  We try hard to be truthful, but at the same time keeping it optimistic.

Glad you have a date set ..... sorry about the rain but I guess Tropical Storm Danny is kicking up the rain for those of us on the Eastern Seaboard.  It should be through in a few days and then there will be sunny skies as you prepare for surgery.  Let us know if you have concerns or questions.  You have already surmounted what many of us felt was the hardest part ..... the treatment decision-making process.

My thoughts and prayers during the coming days.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

SAM-AN2009

• Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »
Thank you Clarice... YES - this forum is filled with caring, supportive and informative people...  As my own advocate, I find I want to know it all and with knowledge I often overload myself with too much too soon.

So far no questions, however just this week my bottom lip and the tip of my tongue goes numb, and I started to hear crackling noise...

Always,
Sam
Dr. Selesnick/ Dr. Steig

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:11:03 pm »
Hi, Sam - and welcome.

Of course, I wouldn't wish an acoustic neuroma diagnosis on anyone but since you now have that unwelcome diagnosis, I'm pleased that you've made use of the ANA website and have been reading the posts.  I think most of us can relate to your hunger for information and the risk of 'overloading' on it.  We've all been there, as it were.  Fortunately, although an acoustic neuroma is relatively rare, they are benign.  This website and, specifically, the forums, are a reliable source of practical information from folks who may not be doctors (and don't offer medical advice to anyone) but do know what you're dealing with and either are or have dealt with the same issues.  Best of all, they're eager to help in any way possible.   That includes me.  :)  As a Connecticut resident, I'm sharing the dismal northeast weather, too, which is not exactly a spirit-lifter.  However, like everything else, it will pass.  The forecast for next week is pretty good. 

We hope to see more of your posts in the weeks to come, especially as you move closer to your September 22nd surgery date, which I've posted on our famous 'AN Treatment Calendar' here: http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d22/09/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:55 pm »
Sam~
Just wanted to say WELCOME and please let us know if we can do anything or answer any questions for you!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:15:22 pm »
Hi Sam!

I read everythihng I could get my hands on too, and at times, scared myself to death along the way...but what came shining through always, was the spirit, compassion, energy, humor, and wisdom of this group!!  I like to know what the possibilities are and I prepared myself mentally, set up my nest at home for post-op, and had a very good idea of what I could expect.  It really helped me be ready for my big day - I also had tons of questions for this group and found answers, advice, shoulders, and prayers from all of 'em.  Turned out that my worst case scenarios in my head stayed in my imagination and the anticipation was the worst thing of all.  I hope you don't have too long to wait from your pre-op fun on the 3rd until when you have your surgery!!

We're here for you and sending you good vibes!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:29:56 pm »
Hi, Sam.

What surgical approach are you having?  And how large is your AN?

Just curious  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:57:09 am »
...I find I want to know it all and with knowledge I often overload myself with too much too soon.
I think most of us know that feeling all too well.  Since I found out on August 5th there have been a few times where I had to simply walk away for a day or two, just to clear my head.  Knowledge is power, but too much, too soon can be overwhelming.

Best wishes with everything!  Please keep us informed of how things are going.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

SAM-AN2009

• Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 01:31:17 pm »
hello all... finally arrived home.. all the pre-op stuff has made me very tired.. but before I take a nap - here's some additional information.  My AN is very small 6mm Dr Stieg and Dr. Selesnick will preform the retrosigmoid approach. No fat harvest ( kind of wish they would take some out ;-0). There is a 20 % chance of hearing lost ( I think that's good) and they will insert both types of catheters.

I think that covers all the questions I had for them..If there's anything I missed, ask away.. I'll answer once I'm done with my nap.

Until later,
Sam
Dr. Selesnick/ Dr. Steig

moe

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:56:02 pm »
Hi Sam,
20 % hearing loss sounds good to me :)
What do you mean they will insert both types of catheters?????
Enjoy the weekend, it will be rainy here in the NWest (it's baaaack).
I kept myself pretty busy and tried to exercise as much as I could before my surgery.  The strengthening will come in handy with recuperation.
Let us know if you have specific questions, like what to bring to the hospital.
Number 1 is chap stick!!!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »
What do you mean they will insert both types of catheters?????

Well, one definitely has to be in the bladder - ask them to insert it AFTER you are asleep.

I'm guessing the other is in the back, in case it's needed in the event of a SF leak ??

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

SAM-AN2009

• Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 11:22:26 am »
Moe – OH NO RAIN.. Wish I could send you some of NY’s Sunny weather (finally) .. Yes leaprytwins is correct, I was referring to both Spinal and Bladder Cather's. Chapstik is packed in my bag, along with "slide in” slippers, I've invested in some jogging suits and additional button up tops. and @leapyrtwins – I did ask that both are inserted AFTER I'm asleep and the Neurosurgeon assured me they would… only thing I'll be awake of is the hook up of the IV.

I told the Neurosurgeon.. I had one last question.. I wanted to know what type of music he listened to in his OR.. he chuckled and replied “nothing. I like total silence”.. but if you want some music as your placed asleep , we can arranged that..  ;-0
Dr. Selesnick/ Dr. Steig

SAM-AN2009

• Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 11:36:01 am »
I forgot to add this forum has taught me a lot - I went to see my eye doctor (a followup visit) and he provided me with lubrication drops - just in case.. that's packed too..

thanks again..
Sam
Dr. Selesnick/ Dr. Steig

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 05:14:17 pm »
I have a feeling that a lot of docs who do AN surgery (aka brain surgery) don't use music in the OR.  Maybe due to the close intense work (?)

I asked my neurotologist if we could play some in the OR during my BAHA implant surgery, since I was awake, but he wasn't in favor of it.  So we just cracked jokes instead  :D

Typically, once the anesthesiologist gets to you, sleep happens very rapidly.  The last thing I remember my anesthesiologist saying was "I'm going to give you something to shrink your brain" and the next thing I knew I was waking up.

Jan 

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 04:47:40 am »

I told the Neurosurgeon.. I had one last question.. I wanted to know what type of music he listened to in his OR.. 

Funny...I asked that too.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:56:51 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/