Author Topic: Surgery is done  (Read 5079 times)

Karla83401

Surgery is done
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:27:17 pm »
Hello all, just wanted to give you the update on mom.  She just finished up surgery and the docs said things couldn't have gone better.  That's pleasing to hear.  They believe they were able to save hearing in both ears.  She had to have a blood trasnsfusion due to some blood loss, but it was only a vein, and not an artery.  They are going to finish her up and then send her to the ICU.  I guess she'll be pretty much asleep for some time, and swollen and sore, but good.  I am so happy.  I wanted to let you all know.  Now recovery process begins, but we can handle that.  Thank you all for your comfort, and mom knows you have all been with her,

God Bless,
Andrea
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Raydean

Re: Surgery is done
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:33:32 pm »
That's wonderful news.  Thank you for posting.  I know a bunch of us have been checking this site for your posting.  Please keep us updated.  it's been a long day for you too, get some sleep.
Now that I've heard from you I'm headed for the shower and bed!!

Hugs and Love
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 07:38:51 pm »
Yay--Karla!
Hope the docs are right about the hearing--we'll know by tomorrow probably.  I've been doing the healing chant and dance all day long for ya!!  Just now wiped the mud offa me and am gettin' the last of the feathers off, too. I'm plumb HOARSE from all the chantin'!

Sendin' good vibes your way for you and your family

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:39:32 pm »
Andrea:  

Thanks for posting.  I have been watching the board all evening looking for news.  Now you can relax and get some sleep.

Your Mom should be able to call you tomorrow......I am so very glad this is over for all of you!!

Kathy O'Brien
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

matti

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:42:51 pm »
Fantastic news Andrea!!  YEAH!!!!!  The hardest part is now behind you. She will do great with recovery because she has such an awesome family.

Get some well deserved sleep.  

Hugs to you and thank you for keeping us updated

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:36:30 pm »
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Three cheers for Karla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So glad to hear that all is well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've been checking the site all day too looking for updates.  Ah, I can go to sleep too, and check all day tomorrow for more updates!!!!!  I'm so pleased to hear it went well. 

Andrea, you're a great daughter!!!!!!!!!   Thanks!!!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 08:43:49 pm »
Hi Andrea,

I have been doing the same thing all day, checking the website to see if you posted the news. I am excited for all of you. Now let the healing process begin! The worst is over and your mom is now in the road to recovery. God is good! Sending lots of prayers you way!  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:19:47 pm »
Yeah!  Sounds like a good outcome. 
She'll be able to get to a phone as soon as she's out of icu.  In fact I remember going to my room and dialing like crazy on my cell phone.  they didn't tell me I couldn't  LOL  Of course my speech was so slurred I don't know that anyone could understand me   ;D :-[

Andrea I know today was stressful..take a big deep breath and try to get some sleep.  Keep the updates coming!  I've kept your family in my prayers all day and will continue to do so.  My son has been with me through my concern and he kept asking me today how you're mom was doing.  He's been where you are. It's all uphill from here! 

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 03:25:51 am »
Andrea
I am so happy for your good news. I know you will feel better when you can talk to your mom and I hope that's soon for you. Take care of yourself because your mom will need you when she gets home. She is very lucky to have you.You guys will coninue to be in my prayers.
Thanks for keeping us posted,
Lynn

thecakes

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 05:47:58 am »
  I am so happy for your mother and you.  I have been turning on this computer several times a day to catch the news about your mother.  Now, remember, things will go slow....;recovery,  my dr. said its like "taking baby steps"and that was correct for me anyhow.  She is now in the healing process, just hang in there.  It might be slow, but as we know, time goes fast.

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 08:49:01 am »
Wonderful, wonderful, news!!!  And they think they have saved the hearing, that is really great.  Sounds like all is going to be fine.  I'll light a candle for her speedy recovery.  You kids keep your chins up, the recovery will be a snap now that the worrying is done.
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 05:28:22 pm »
Great news Andrea!

You say they were able to save her hearing? Well, than that is spectacular news!!! It went even better in her case than for most of us....

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:32:43 pm »
Hey all, I just talked to Jeanette, Karla's sister!  Karla had the Mid Fossa approach, the surgery was just under six hours, looks like she's retained most of her hearing, and is having full facial nerve function.  They were able to get all of the tumor!!!!!   The blood transfusion is because of a vein in the general vacinity that got cut....she didn't lose much blood and it was purely a precautionary measure.  They didn't want her down any blood.  She has been moved to her own room now, just got more pain meds when I called and sounded pretty out of it, but she was able to say hello real quick.  Jeanette said her color is back, and things are looking real good.  She will probably be up to some phone calls starting tomorrow.  Oh, and it was Dr. Brackman that headed up the surgery.  Karla's family is fine, and Jeanette said the people at house have been extraordinary, treating them like they're part of the "family".  Three cheers for Karla!!!!!!!!!!  Woo hoo!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

matti

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:26 pm »
Great News!!!  Thank you Kathleen

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 10:03:58 pm »
Oh Yeah!

Thanks for the juice kathleen...sounds like she's come through with flying colors!  What a big relief!!