Author Topic: GK Experience - 1/8/09  (Read 3417 times)

edhayes

• Edmunds Home Page
GK Experience - 1/8/09
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
My NYU Gama Knife Experience

First of all let me say on the whole every thing turned out great.  Every single person that I had contact with from the guard at the front door to the cafeteria lady to the nurses and Dr. Golfinos were wonderful.

So here is the time line everyone wanted.

5:15am  I arrive (45 minutes early -  I am a anal guy what can I say)

I was given a handful of forms to fill out and then proceeded to the GK center.  At the GK center I was given a few other forms to fill out and after they were completed I was taken into the inner sanctum of the GK center.

6:15am  - I was given a Fentanyl lollipop and some IV Ativan.

(note that after the fentanyl and ativan, time sort of took a back seat to reality and since I didn't have a watch on the rest of the times are mostly estimates.

6:30am - Head frame placed by Dr. Golfinos.  Expecting the worst I found that it actually wasn’t that bad.  Besides the drugs mentioned above, they gave me lidocaine to numb up the skin before they put the screw through it.  Actually the lidocaine burns a lot but this very quickly goes away because that’s what the drug does.  So I just bit the bullet and the burning sensation was over in a few seconds.  The placement of the head frame and the placement of the 4 screws into my skull was not bad at all.  This is where I thought I was going to see stars, but in real life going to the dentist and having your teeth cleaned is probably more painful.

7:15am - Into the MRI with frame attached.  Zero problems here, actually I felt more comfortable than I normally do in an MRI machine.  Because they attach the head frame to the MRI I couldn't move at all, better yet I didn't have to worry about moving and as we all know less movement equals a better MRI.

8:00'ish -  Taken back to the inner sanctum and I had to wait for the computer modeling to take place.  I was comfortable and kind of enjoyed the rest I was getting.

10:00'ish -  I was taken into the GK room and received a briefing of what would happen next.  After a few minutes I was bolted to the machine, they all left the room and the table slid me into the machine and I received my 25 minutes of gamma radiation.  (I was actually taken out of the machine one and a few things were adjusted so I actualy had one treatment of 15 minutes and one treatment for 10 minutes)

10:30'ish - Out of the GK room and my doctor removed the head frame and showed me some images of my gamma exposure and explained to me how everything went well.

11:00'ish - Found my family, went up to the cafeteria, had a cup of coffee and a corn muffin.

1:00pm - arrived back home and just sat around and watched TV.  Went to bed at like 9pm and woke up around 7am.

1/9/09 - Had a bit of a headache this morning that was relieved with tylenol.

1/10/09 - Headache minimal but was nauseous most of the day.

1/11/09 - Fell good - no headache no nausea

Tomorrow I will go back to work and see how that goes. 

If I could reverse time and rethink everything I would have done the same thing.  I would have changed nothing.

Again I can't say enough good things about NYU, Dr. Golfinos, his staff and all the people that work in the gamma knife center.  Every single one of them are wonderful people that actually care.  God bless them all.

Jackie

Re: GK Experience - 1/8/09
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:05 pm »
Congratulations Ed,

Thank-you for sharing your GK experience!!! Sounds like you really sailed right through it with minimal issues! Good for you, hope your recovery continues to be issue free! Blessings to you and your family.
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »
Gee, Ed, I've had a tougher day just going to work!

I'm glad to hear it went well and that you are up for going back to work already. Take it easy, don't mind a few bumps in the road, and I look forward to your first post-treatment MRI, showing success!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 09:47:02 pm »
Hey, Ed  ;D

Glad to hear that everything went great; very encouraging.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Dr. Golfinos - Dr. Roland - too.

Good luck with work tomorrow,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:18:50 am »
Hi, Ed:

I'm glad to hear everything went so smoothly for you. Congratulations on achieving "postie-hood"!  :)

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:33 pm »
Hi Ed-

I was just wondering how you were and how the GK went - so I was thrilled to see your post just now!  I am glad that it went well, Ed and that your after affects are minimal so far.  Dr. Golfinos is just great, isn't he?  He really inspires such confidence - and he's got a great sense of humor, too, which I find comforting.

We missed you at lunch on Saturday, but hope that you can make the next one, which should be sometime in late April/early May.  We'll make sure to get a picture of all the Golfinos/Roland patients to send to the docs - they'll like that!

Continue healing, and keep in touch.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

carter

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 06:57:44 pm »
i am happy for you --that this leg of your trip was good.  heal well

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

wcrimi

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:50:06 pm »
I'm very happy to hear your experience wasn't bad at all!   ;)
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:41 pm »
Ed:

Thanks for the descriptive narrative of your GK experience.  I'm pleased to learn that it went so smoothly and you're doing so well.   Thanks again for the encouraging post.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 06:56:34 pm »
Hi Ed -
I'm glad to hear your GK experience was so good.  Hopefully your AN will die a fairly quiet and quick death.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!