Author Topic: Moe's next surgery for facial re-animation  (Read 9635 times)

moe

Moe's next surgery for facial re-animation
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:00:14 am »
Hi all,
I've been wanting to post about my upcoming surgery on 13 May at University of Washington, but don't want to jinx my good fortune!

I am so happy to report that I am finally going to get the surgery that I have been dreaming and praying for-  performed by Dr. Peter Neligan (formerly of Ontario, Canada). A "gracilis flap" procedure.
This doctor is brilliant and there are only a few places in the country that do this procedure. Being that I had the 12/7 nerve transposition with PARTIAL results, Dr. Rubenstein agreed to consult with Dr. Neligan.

Basically another long surgery (third one is the charm), where he will take a piece of gracilis muscle from inside thigh, transplant it along with nerves and such to inside of my cheek. Face lift type incision. Then use the masseter nerve  for nerve supply to the transplanted muscle. Let it "cook" for 3-4 months before any movement is seen.Then movement will slowly return, and I will be able to actually smile by first biting down  :o and hopefully just learn to do it naturally.

This is incredible and miraculous in my mind. I'm so blessed to actually be "in the back door" of UW where the procedure is done and it WAS covered by TRICARE. Woo hoo! Do you sense my jubilation???

I think I'll be the first on the forum for this procedure. I'm a perfect candidate, because I have movement in the lower lip/mouth/ area , but still NO movement along the upper lip and cheek. (acupuncture DID help with muscle tone to other areas of face).

I will post before and after photos on this one!

Happy day to all  ;)

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Moe's next surgery for facial re-animation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »
Congrats on being able to get this surgery!  It sounds almost sci-fi!  I'm happy for you!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 02:36:43 pm »
Maureen ~

Happy day to you, too and congratulations on accomplishing the feat of securing TRICARE funding for this complicated but rewarding surgery!

I'm very pleased to learn that you're going to undergo this cutting-edge facial animation procedure.  I'm looking forward to an update and of course, the promised before-and-after photos.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:41:03 pm »
Whhhooooooohooooooo!!!!!   ;D  What great news!

I can't wait to see and hear how it goes.  I've read about the procedure, but I don't know anyone who has had it done, so you're like the forum guinea pig! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 06:00:58 pm »
Look at you!  Can't wait to see the results!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:07:22 pm »
My, what an attractive gracillis flap you have there.  ;D

So every time you grit your teeth you will smile? You will be Little Miss Sunshine on the forum!

Seriously I am happy for you, Maureen. It actually sounds promising and is certainly good news. I'm looking forward to the results.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »
Good luck! Keep us posted!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:55:37 pm »
Best wishes on your upcoming surgery, Moe  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »
My, what an attractive gracillis flap you have there.  ;D

So every time you grit your teeth you will smile? You will be Little Miss Sunshine on the forum!

Yes it will be interesting! I'll need to clench my teeth to smile at first, but then with practice hopefully will get more natural. That's the last thing I need is TMJ because I'm smiling ALL the TIME!!!! I'm also hoping I don't smile every time I chew. It is worth a shot though :) I'm still pinching myself...

So I'll update....much later :) :) :) :) :)
Maureen

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »
THat is how the T3 works & that was my exact question - about smiling & eating...I believe my exact words to Dr.Byrne were "so will m face whack out every time I eat?" He assured me not!

K.  ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20:20 am »
Terrific opportunity for you!  AND...covered by insurance too?!  This will be the charm - you're right.  Best of luck and can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

moe

Re: Moe's next surgery for facial re-animation-gracilis flap results!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »
Hey all,
Just got back last night from the hospital. (sunday)
Gracey the gracilis flap "took"!  8 hour surgery on Thursday-I had small arteries apparently so took a little longer to connect the little things.

First 2 days sucked with pain, nausea, emesis (not good for face surgery but only once) dizziness, tinnitus. You know the story! The doppler machine was set on extra loud in the ICU so they could hear it outside the door. How's that for modern medical technology. ??? WHOOSH, WHOOSH, WHOOSH!  Didn't blend well with the tinnitus, and the dinging IV machines.I asked for ear plug, but had to take it out every 30 min- 1 hour when someone would come in to bug assess me.

I had dilaudid pain pump, another infusion into the graft site on the thigh- an accuser with local anesthetics administered continuously. One of those shrinking ball devices. So I was pretty doped up!

Things got quickly better day 3 and 4 and now I'm walking with little thigh pain, off the narcs, feeling good!

Flashback to AN surgery but recovery is 90% quicker.  :)
Will post a pic soon as soon as I find the camera.
Maureen
My face does look like a puffy pancake on the left. "I'm not an animal!" I'm not going anywhere for a while!

lori67

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:11:00 am »
Good to hear from you!  I've been thinking about you and wondering how things were.

Can't wait to see pictures and I hope you're feeling better and better every day.  How big an incision did they have to make on your leg?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

Re: Moe's next surgery for facial re-animation-gracilis flap results!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 12:35:48 pm »
Hi Lori,
About 6 inches to the L  inner thigh.
I also still have my JP drain, which I will continue to have until drainage drops less than 30 cc/day for 2 days. Right now we are still at 80-90/day, so may be at least a week.
Maureen

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 02:28:47 pm »
Hi, Maureen ~

Congratulations on your successful gracilis flap procedure!  The surgery and immediate post-op read as somewhat unpleasant but worth it, I'm sure.  Thanks for the update. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.