Author Topic: Tinnitus Doing Weird Things  (Read 2043 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
Tinnitus Doing Weird Things
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »
I noticed a weird thing with my tinnitus the other day. If I put my tongue between my front teeth and my top lip (I was getting food out after I finished eating something) my tinnitus gets louder and higher pitched. If I put my tongue back, it goes back to it's normal pitch and volume. So I tried some other things.. like pushing my bottom jaw out farther (like I had a big underbite) - again, the same reaction with the tinnitus.

What the heck? Anybody have any idea why that would affect something that is supposedly coming from your brain and not your ear?

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Tinnitus Doing Weird Things
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:05:08 am »
If you could only see the weird faces I'm making right now sticking my tongue in y teeth and jutting my jaw out.... ::)  Doesn't do anything to mine. I do notice when I exercise hard that it warbles and gets pitchy. no idea why.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

sgerrard

Re: Tinnitus Doing Weird Things
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:36:07 am »
I haven't heard of "jaw-evoked tinnitus," but I have heard of "gaze-evoked tinnitus", as described here:
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7909.msg84523#msg84523
The quoted conclusion from the research paper is worth reading for a chuckle.

I think it is more correct to say that tinnitus is coming from your nerves, rather than your brain. Various things you do have the potential to stimulate your nerves in an interesting way. That is the story I am sticking with, anyway.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.