Author Topic: MRI and clausterphobia  (Read 121760 times)

HeidiC

MRI and clausterphobia
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »
I had my surgery on Oct 6 last year and have been told I need another MRI in about 6 months.  This will be my fifth MRI in less than 2 years and I am very clausterphobic.  I have avoided taking medicine before my MRI in the past because my husband was deployed and I needed to be alert to drive and take care of my 2 kids.  By sheer willpower, I make it through it.  I just keep trying to imagine a big open sky overhead, with clouds rolling by.

But my husband is back now, and can help out, so I am considering taking something before my next MRI.

I was just wondering what the experience is like when taking something and what did the Dr have you take.  I am afraid that I will still feel the panic but not be able to press the button for help or anything like that-like still feeling trapped but not being able to do anything about it.  I'm not quite sure how to articulate my fears here, as you can see!

Also, after the surgery I took Oxycontin and it turns out I am allergic to it...so I was hoping that the Dr would prescribe 2 doses so that I could try whatever they give me first to make sure I am not going to have a reaction to it while I am stuck in that little hole.  :o

Thanks for any tips or experiences!

~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Archer

Re: MRI and clausterphobia
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:57:32 pm »
Heidi,
I am extremely claustraphobic as well.  Last MRI I had was of total head and spine and I knew it was going to be LOOOONG.  I had them put me out for it.  Turns out it was a 2 hour MRi that would have driven me MAD of I had been awake. 

I can handle shorter MRIs of the head (mine have usually been half an hour) with an anti anxiety drug to help take the panic away.  My GP gives me a perscription for Lorazepam when I am going for an MRI and I take two about an hour before my appointment.  By the time I lay down on the table I am only a little anxious but it is very manageable.  Besides the Lorazepam my wife sits at the end of the table and pinches my toe every once in a while to keep my mind off being in the tube.

I understand most places will give you something to take the edge off if you tell them you are claustrophobic.  You may want to ask about it when your appoinment is made.  If they can't or won't give you something ask you Dr to prescribe something prior to the appt.

Good Luck!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:53:35 am »
Heidi

Many facilities have what is known as an "open" MRI.  You do not go into a tube and as it states you are totally out in the open.  You might want to check your area to see who has them.

TJ

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 02:10:39 pm »
I take ativan 1mg--about 20 mins before--and they put a washcloth over my eyes. It helps alot. I asked about the open MRI--none of the physicians would do it--they all said the same thing--can't be used for a full, good view. The other entry about something being on your current MRI--, I wouldn't worry about it to much. The likelyhood that the tumor has  returned this quickly and is larger than originally removed are very slim. Call the neurosurgeon every day if you need to, to get an answer. If it were me I would drive to the neurosurgeons office and have him put the films up right in front of me. Best wishes to you..keep us posted
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

HeidiC

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 02:35:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I was told basically the same thing...that they can't get the view they need with the open MRI.  I actually had an open MRI scheduled for my first one, and showed up for it and they said they couldn't do it.

I do have a copy of the MRI, but hesitate to look at it myself.   I'm afraid I would see things in the shades of grey that are nothing, but think they are something, if you know what I mean. :)

I would still like to hear some more about how the medicine makes you feel...and how funtion I'd be once the MRI is over till the meds wear off, if anyone has anything to add.

Thanks again!
~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

Archer

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 02:59:26 pm »
After my MRI with the drugs I didn't feel groggy or like I couldnt' function.  I just felt like nothing bothered me.  I felt normal but actually may not have been in any shape to judge.  They still made me have someone with to drive.  If you ask them to give you something at the hospital or clinic brfore your MRI they will make sure someone is with you to drive.

DHJ

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 03:58:21 pm »
       I always ask for the mirror. They attach a forward looking mirror to the bracket above my head and this allows me to look out of the machine.Very helpful with claustrophobia.   Dave
3yr wait and watch on left sided 2.9cm AN is over surgery 11/4/2011 Mckenna/Barker at MGH one year MRI 11/12/2012 all clear

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »
Heidi, I have a prescription for Valium.  When I had a fine needle aspiration done on my thyroid I took 10mg about 1 hour before the procedure.  I remember feeling very serene and not caring what they did to me.  It wore off in a couple of hours. 
For all my MRIs I've taken 5mg of Valium about 1 hour before; it seems to take the edge off.  My last MRI, October 2011, was a pleasant experience with the Valium, a washcloth over my eyes, headphones on and music.  I still felt in control of my self and the situation. 
My next MRI, May 2012, I plan to take 1 1/2 of the 5 mg pills since it's at a new facility, different people, etc so hopefully that will do it for me.
When I've asked my doctors for a prescription they've written it for either 1 or 2 pills only to be used for the specific procedure.  It might not be a bad idea to ask for an extra pill of whatever they prescribe to take 48 hours in advance to see how you react.  One thing with that that happened to me was I took a Valium when I wasn't "totally stressed" and had a horrible hung over feeling after.  I was told that happens when you don't have the adrenalin racing for the drug to work against.
Good luck. 
Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

JAndrews

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:47:59 pm »
Why dont you mail a copy to House Ear? They will look at it and call you..for free.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Ned

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »
I was the same as you, very claustrophobic, a doctor recommended something I had not tried since college.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 09:24:55 am »
Please excuse me if it seems I am minimizing your claustrophobia (I don't mean to), but what I do to keep calm is I close my eyes before they slide me into the tube. I don't open my eyes until I am completely outside the tube. While I'm inside, I meditate with eyes closed.

I can't say I'm completely serene inside the tube, but my routine does keep my anxiety very much under control.

Again, I don't wish to sound cavalier. It sounds like you may be more claustrophobic than I. But sometimes the obvious is overlooked. Whether or not you need medication, try keeping your eyes closed throughout the entire procedure.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »
Nothing wrong with having your doc prescribe a Rx to get your through your trip in the Tube of Gloom. 

Lots of people need something.

I got through my diagnostic MRI - and my first post op MRI - but closing my eyes in the tube and thinking good thoughts and imagining myself in beautiful, calm places (like a beach in Hawaii).  It worked well for me and I've gone on to be able to open my eyes while inside the tube.

But that's just me - it's not necessarily you.

Do what you need to do to get through this.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:28 am »
I have always taken Lorazepam before MRI's, except my very first when I screamed my head off for the entire thing!
I usually take 1 mg before leaving the house and 1 mg when I get to the building where it's being done, I find it just as difficult in an open machine verses a "closed".
I usually just feel sleepy, a little numb in the legs when I'm laying still but when I go to get up afterwards I'm OK. By the time I get home it's "night night" for me though for several hours.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Brewers7

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
Xanax/Alprazolam or Valium
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010