Author Topic: Tinnitus - Article On Alternative Treatments  (Read 3234 times)

fbarbera

Tinnitus - Article On Alternative Treatments
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:32:57 am »
LA Times ran this article today:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-skeptic-20100412,0,5348639.story

According to the article, there's some evidence that Gingko Bilbao may help alleviate the noise - the evidence is mixed.

Worth a read.

Francesco

Lizard

Re: Tinnitus - Article On Alternative Treatments
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
Interesting thanks for sharing...
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

grega

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »
Hi .... I also read the article, basically about remedies claiming to treat tinnitus. 

Chris Woolston, the LA Times writer, says one thing that I can't believe in the least ..... and also doesn't say something that should be said.  In the 2nd paragraph, (s)he says, "Some plead with their doctors to cut their hearing nerves completely...."

Does anyone out there believe this ?!?!  Have you heard of anyone asking their doc to do this  ???  Amazing !

And, (s)he does not say that one should check with the American Tinnitus Association for up-to-date info on everything related to this, sometimes dibilitating, condition.  ATA should have been mentioned for people to seek the latest info.
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »
Hi .... I also read the article, basically about remedies claiming to treat tinnitus. 
Chris Woolston, the LA Times writer, says one thing that I can't believe in the least ......  In the 2nd paragraph, (s)he says, "Some plead with their doctors to cut their hearing nerves completely...."
Does anyone out there believe this ?!?!  Have you heard of anyone asking their doc to do this  ???  Amazing !

Well, if anyone were to ask their doctor to sever their hearing nerves completely in hopes of eliminating the tinnitus, I would hope that the doctor would know enough to realize that cutting the hearing nerves would have absolutely no effect on the patient's tinnitus !!! (And the LA Times writer does acknowledge that fact).

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:58 pm »
[

Well, if anyone were to ask their doctor to sever their hearing nerves completely in hopes of eliminating the tinnitus, I would hope that the doctor would know enough to realize that cutting the hearing nerves would have absolutely no effect on the patient's tinnitus !!! (And the LA Times writer does acknowledge that fact).

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Didn't mean to to post nothing....lets try that again.  I just wanted to say simply that many of us on this site can attest to that!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 10:34:39 pm »
Well, I am a crazy patient that asked a very reputable doctor to cut my hearing nerve (after I was already SSD - 2 months post mid fossa and total tumor removal) and it didn't make the noise go away.  This is true.  However, somehow I really lost my mind after the first surgery and the tinnitus was honestly so bad that I felt suicidal.  Dr House (of HEI) agreed to have a second surgery to cut the nerve telling me I had a 40-50% chance of tinnitus relief.  After all the odds I was quoted before my 1st surgery (70% chance of saving hearing, 30% chance facial paralysis (temp)) the percentages didn't mean much to me anymore.  I pushed on and had the surgery.  I do think it helped reduce the noise a little, but I still consider myself a chronic tinnitus sufferer.  It greatly reduces my quality of life and gets me down every day.  After the nerve was cut I did notice a pretty remarkable improvement in my hyperacusis.  I can't say for sure it was the surgery that made noise more tolerable.  Perhaps it was just time.

In any case....  I know most sane people don't beg their doctors to cut the nerve.  I did, but my sanity was a bit questionable after my first surgery.  Going from 100% hearing to SSD and no tinnitus to a symphony of chaos in my head made me question whether or not I was going to make it.  Or wanted to.  And I am a very blessed 35 year old with a new baby and an adoring husband.  So, yes, sometimes the noise can make you ask for brain surgery or wish you never woke up and could rest peacefully sans jet engines in your brain no matter how much you have to live for.  And somehow Dr House of House Ear Clinic agreed to perform this surgery even though the odds were 50/50.

I don't recommend anyone else do this.  Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but what is done is done. 

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

grega

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:11:27 am »
Thanks Amy, for sharing your experience .... and also your Journal on the web.  You've made me realize why the statement was included in the article.  Glad that the improvement in your hyperacusis has improved your life!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"