Author Topic: New Phonak CROS or BAHA????  (Read 55834 times)

Mei Mei

Re: New Phonak CROS or BAHA????
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 07:20:03 pm »
As I've told you before, I love you Jan and always will but I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and do very badly with even the tiniest surgery like the BAHA.   When Dr. Niparko heard from his resident that I didn't want the BAHA, he walked out of the room without even a goodbye.  Money is money and he had no more time for me if I weren't doing the BAHA.   Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) is a curse that you don't want to live through.   Anyway I went to an audiologist this morning for my father and was a good way to test him   out since Angie's List recommended him as the best audiologist in the entire DC area.  He said he was having trouble with the Transear but I took that as tongue in check since the TransEar is doing well with others on our Forum.  Should I go down then to Johnson City TENN ... no, now that I have heard that the CROS ear is available for a trial, why not try it out and if not satisfied, then go for the TransEar.   We have time as Jim says.   There is no reason to rush into this situation.   The technology is changing daily so just hang on until the technology is right for you.

Hugs to you all.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Mei Mei

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »
I'm just jumping in here and very excited about what I am reading.    The batteries are not a problem as they can be gotten t Costco so no worry.   It' a problem thought hat you have to change them all the time.   Maybe I should wiat a year for longer battery life.   I am not in a situation for need to hear a lot of people.   It is a problem or a nuisance to not hear people in  a restaurant.    u i it is just a luxury. 

I hope yo all  find solutions to you hearing problems.
Love,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:24 pm »
Thanks for the love, Mei Mei.

I'm not suggesting the BAHA for you - and I agree with Clarice, it's a personal choice.

Was simply answering Pam's questions.

Glad you found a good audiologist.  As for Dr. Niparko, based on what you told us, if he were my doc I'd fire him.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 11:18:14 am »
OK, just for some more clarification here.....is the Cros a device used only on one side, but the Bi Cros has a component for both sides?  Thanks.
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2012, 01:02:02 pm »
Both sides. Deaf side is transmitter, good side is receiver hearing aid. In the instance of a Bi-CROS, the hearing aid on the good side is programmed to help that ear hear better since the hearing is not no longer in "normal" range. Check out the Phonak site. You'll see there is a lot of information on both set ups.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 07:50:13 pm »
Ross, thanks. On the Phonak website it looks like there is both a BTE piece and an ITC piece.  Is that accurate? you need both?
thanks.
Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »
I would imagine that by definition the Bi-Cros is two pieces (bi = having two).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 09:34:43 pm »
Right, but they both have two BTE pieces. They are just used differently in Cros and Bi Cros. I just wonder about the ear molds...I am not sure I would do well with something in my ear other than the little wire.
Dale
Tarzana, CA

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 06:13:40 am »
You can start off with the BTE version. If it's all good, then you don't need to think about an ITE mold. The BTE pieces are also so low profile that people have a hard time knowing that you even have them on.

Went to a loud party last night. Did reasonably well, CROS has its limitations. Too much noise is just too much noise. I'm learning to manage my expectations :-)
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

spgreenfield

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2012, 07:53:45 am »
Posted this question to the other Cros discussion....I'm looking for batteries to prepare for this hungry device that I'll receive on Friday....which ones perform best at best cost?  Any suggestions?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

BeckyMax

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 10:08:15 am »
I'm not much help, but at the ANA support group 2 weeks ago the topic was hearing aids and they said you could not use Energizer.  Your audiologist should have alot of experience in this area.

Good luck.

Becky
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

spgreenfield

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »
I may just give her a call even though I haven't seen her yet.  She said they sell the batteries for $1 a piece...which is astronomical....so I need to find out what batteries I CAN use with it during my trial period....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Mei Mei

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:55 pm »
Jan,
I've already told you I love you dearly but there are some of us that cannot have the BAHA.    I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) and any more surgery no matter how small become major.   Major pain and major scarring and I just cannot risk any more problems than I already have.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »
Jan,
I've already told you I love you dearly but there are some of us that cannot have the BAHA.    I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) and any more surgery no matter how small become major.   Major pain and major scarring and I just cannot risk any more problems than I already have.
Hugs,
Mei Mei

We interrupt this program in an attempt to avoid any misunderstandings.

Mei Mei ~

As we all know, Jan is an unapologetic fan of the BAHA because it has been a godsend for her, which makes her passion about it quite logical.  However, she has stated numerous times on this thread that she understands the BAHA is not for everyone.   In post #47 Jan addressed you directly and stated that she was not suggesting the BAHA for you.  I'm sure Jan completely understands that your EDS precludes you from undergoing the necessary BAHA implant surgery.  Jan has been responding to various other posts regarding the options for hearing devices and has not been coy about her personal preference for the BAHA but, as she has posted, the choice of a hearing device is very personal.  I do not see Jan's replies to anyone here (or elsewhere) taking the form of insisting that the BAHA is the one and only solution to being SSD.  She is very astute and always makes it clear that her choice (of the BAHA) is not necessary the right choice for anyone else.

I trust that a careful reading of Jan's posts on this thread will validate that contention and by doing so, avoid unnecessary misunderstandings.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »
We interrupt this program in an attempt to avoid any misunderstandings.

Thanks Jim... and all!  *eyeballs bullwhip by my side*.... just in case......* Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"