Author Topic: Leaving Watch and Wait  (Read 6225 times)

patdel

Leaving Watch and Wait
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:21:32 pm »
I have been on this web site for the last year and a half but have only posted a few times. However, I have read and read and felt very grateful to hear all the stories about other AN journeys. I had another MRI in August and it did show some growth so after much thought, I decided to go ahead with surgery and get this thing over with. I don't know how the long term WW do it! I couldn't any longer. Anyway, I am scheduled for surgery Nov. 2 at Duke Raleigh Hosp. with Dr. Cunningham and Dr. Fukishima. I feel very blessed to be in such good hands. I had my pre op today and was a little freaked out reading about complications but I know they have to tell you all these things.  My hearing is still there so they are doing retrosigmoid surgery.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers and thanks for all the "virtual" support this last year and a half.

Pat

Pat

Jackie

Re: Leaving Watch and Wait
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:31 pm »
Hello Pat,

Just wanted to wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Your confidence in your surgeon is so important and glad that you are ready to go forward. May you have a fast easy recovery. Please let us know when you're able! Blessings to you,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:40:31 pm »
Pat .....

So glad you are going ahead with the surgery.  Dr. Fukushima did my surgery 2 1/2 years ago and I could not have had a better outcome.  I pray you will do equally well.  Duke Raleigh Hospital is wonderful so I know you will be in good hands.

Thoughts and prayers and let us know how you are doing, as you are able.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:39:40 am »
I just want to wish you a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!  You will be in my thougths Tuesday, please let us know how everything goes.  Cheers to a speedy recovery!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:30:41 am »
Wish you the best, Pat!  You should be feeling good enough to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner...but not so good that you will be able to help out with any of the fixin' or cleanin' up  ;)  Let everyone else do that!

Do let us know how thngs go,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:12 pm »
Hi, Pat ~

Unfortunately, 'watch-and-wait' often seems like an exercise in medically-approved procrastination - that often proves frustrating.  However, because you seem genuinely relieved to be having removal surgery for your AN, that should help keep you in a positive mode, which is always helpful.  I'm sure your surgical team is knowledgeable and proficient.  I underwent the 'retrosigmoid approach' AN surgery with good results.  We'll be thinking of and praying for you as November 2nd approaches.  See you on 'the other side'....as a 'postie'!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »
Good luck with your surgery!  I can completely understand why you are ready to get it over with.  I wasn't in watch and wait, but I know I wanted that hitchhiker out of there.  :D  See you on the other side!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

LisaP

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:42:02 pm »
Pat,

Sorry you have to leave us who are W&W, but best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  Keep us posted on how you do!!!

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:17 am »
I don't know how the long term WW do it! I couldn't any longer.

Hi, Pat.

I don't know how the long-term W&W do it either - and I commend them for it.  IMO, it takes a special kind of person to W&W; I'm not that patient and it would have driven me crazy  ;D

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  I've heard nothing about good things about Duke/Raleigh.

See you soon as a postie!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:39:27 pm »
Best wishes for you Pat.  You'll be happy to be on the other side of this and starting to put it behind you.

Best of luck on Tuesday.  We'll be thinking of you.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Mickey

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:00:04 am »
There comes a time within ourselves when we have to follow what we have set our goals to do. In your case its to move on to have the treatment. I`m sure you have made the best choice and just a matter of getting better soon. All are prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. Best wishes, Mickey

moe

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 10:53:03 am »
Pat,
Will keep you in our prayers on Nov 2 for a successful surgery.
Time to say goodbye to the little bugger!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty