Author Topic: Boston  (Read 1476 times)

v357139

Boston
« on: April 22, 2024, 08:38:22 pm »
Hi all.  I have someone looking for radiosurgeons in the Boston area.  Does anyone have a name?  Preferably someone well known for this or who they had a good result with.  Thanks.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

skier

Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 06:20:52 am »
Hi,
I'm in New England, and when first diagnosed in Oct 2021, I spent some time trying to find radiosurgery options and expertise in the Boston area.

If the searcher looks back at my oldest posts, they will see a few comments from others when I asked for recommendations, but I never got very much direct advice on current options.

Ultimately, I wanted surgery for a fast-growing tumor in fall 2023, and I went to UCSD for the quality of care and expertise. Happy about that decision for myself.

I did read on the discussion board that Tufts in Boston area had expertise in Gammaknife radiosurgery and in surgery. That was where I was leaning towards. Searching on "tufts" or "carl heilman" here shows a lot of very positive comments. Tufts Acoustic Neuroma team had a fairly simple route to a consult, based on their website. (I didn't have a consult myself, so that's all I know.)

Dr. Carl Heilman: https://www.tuftsmedicine.org/doctor/carl-heilman
Gamma Knife: https://www.tuftsmedicine.org/services-treatments/neurosurgery/gamma-knife-surgery#conditions

Hope this is a little helpful.
Best,
Skier
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 09:02:12 am by skier »

DanFouratt

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 04:57:52 pm »
Radiation is a "simple" process.  I was one and done, other take a few treatments.  Regardless, both are a sort time in overall commitment.  You may want to open up your search territory. 

Good Luck in your decision journey.

Dan
Dan Fouratt             63 years old
Vestibular Schwannoma
Discovered 9/15/21  5mm x 11mm
MRI 4/11/22            No change
MRI 1/9/23              7mm x 13 mm
MRI 6/19/23            No change
CK  9/15/23             TBD Not Scheduled

v357139

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 06:31:54 pm »
Thanks all I will pass it along.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

toliaman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 05:23:04 pm »
Hi! I was recently suggested 2 surgeons for Acoustic Neuroma by Boston physicians (I work at a hospital). Dr. Bob Carter and Dr. Fred Barker - both work at MGH. They both have a lot of experience in general, but especially with treating Acoustic Neuromas. We recently went to Dr. Carter for my Mom (who has AN) and he explained to us that different doctors and hospitals have different schools of thought for treating AN - surgery or radiation. MGH belongs to the “Surgery” school of thought. So if you do decide to go with surgery, you’ll be in excellent hands (as they handle a large volume). Alternatively, if you choose to go with radiation, they will refer you to experts that belong to that school of thought (example would be NYU). We had an excellent experience with Dr. Carter who patiently walked us through it all and helped answer ALL our questions. Hope that helps, and good luck!