Author Topic: Suddenly getting vertigo  (Read 125 times)

maryblair

Suddenly getting vertigo
« on: May 20, 2024, 05:57:03 am »
Hi all,

I was diagnosed with a 4mm AN during the pandemic.   It hasn't grown in the last few years though I have HF hearing loss and tinnitus and pressure on that side.

In the last couple of weeks, I've had three separate days of vertigo and dizziness.  At first I thought it was an ear crystal thing but now I'm wondering if it's the AN.   My last MRI was not so long ago and showed no growth.

Has anyone else had this with such a small AN?

donjehle

Re: Suddenly getting vertigo
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 09:39:15 am »
Hi maryblair, and thanks for posting on the ANA Forums!

I also have a very small acoustic neuroma and had horrible vertigo and dizziness.  I had fallen down numberous times and had to walk with a cane.  But that was when my AN was first diagnosed.  I went to a vestibular therapist (not a regular physical therapist), had a few months of treatment, and I have not had any more dizziness since, and I don't use a cane anymore.  My last MRI showed no growth. 

I am not a medical doctor, but my understanding is that acoustic neuroma patients can have occasional worsening symptoms even though the acoustic neuroma is not growing.  So, we are told not to panic if we have occasional reoccurring symptoms.  The MRI is the definitive answer to the question of how fast or slow the AN is growing or whether it is staying the same or even shrinking.  Since acoustic neuromas typically grow very slowly, you probably can wait until your next scheduled MRI, especially with it at only 4mm.  But, if you have any concerns, I would share them with your healthcare provider.

Best wishes on your journey!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.