Author Topic: Update on 1cANAdian (Ken) Translab surgery  (Read 5432 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Update on 1cANAdian (Ken) Translab surgery
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »
BRAVO!  Glad it's over for you and now begins the healing process.  As you know from roaming around this site people see improvements with their facial palsies in time and I pray the same for you.  I'm sure it must be difficult right now coping with this and coping with balance, hearing, eyes, fatigue and hopefully not too much pain.  Make sure you close your eyes to rest a little in order to "quiet" the vestibular system that works overtime for you, practice does make perfect when it comes to rehab exercises and please be patient not only with yourself, but those around you too.  They cannot "see" what you feel and don't understand what you are going through.  They see you looking well, but in reality you are not feeling well so this is a difficult time when people continue to tell you how well you look.  Inside you feel chaos and sometimes see the world through Picasso's eyes, this too will pass the more you challenge your vestibular system. 

Rest is "key" and accepting your "new" normal will make life easier. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:17 pm »
Sending more good wishes to Ken (and virtual scarf magic, too!).  And, several gallons of water to help him stay hydrated.  This is one of those times to "drink up." 

I think the whole sensory overload is pretty common - as it was explained to me, the brain is confused and traumatized and doesn't like a lot of noise, color or anything else.  Quiet moments are essential.  I spent a lot of time those first few days with my eyes closed (well, one was taped shut, but whatever  ;)) because the visual stimulation was just too much for me.

Grade two on the facial scale is pretty good!  I'm still not there yet, so it's easy for me to say that 2 is good.  Two is obvisoulsy not good when it's your face.   :)  The palsy sounds mild enough, though, to hope for a quick and full recovery.  I'll be sending you some extra good energy and prayers on that.

Hopefully today is a little better - that's usually the way it goes, slow but steady progress from one day to the next.  Any idea when he'll be "sprung" from the hospital?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 07:39:22 pm »
Hello All,

Photo's of the surgical site.  Not extremely flattering, but it is me!

It has been 8 days since the operation, I'm at home now, and things are moving along.  A bit of a flat day today.  Cannot have all the excitement and challenges over so soon or it would be back to work for me!  Being pampered at home is much better!

Cheers!

Ken

Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 09:31:29 pm »
Not too bad at all.

Your incision is nice and close to your ear.  My incision kind of stuck out like this < behind my ear.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »
Nice!  I bet all the other guys will be jealous!  Seriously, your surgeons did a nice job - nice and close to the ear. 

Continue healing - and take lots of naps...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com