Author Topic: Update on 1cANAdian (Ken) Translab surgery  (Read 5433 times)

Emcee

Update on 1cANAdian (Ken) Translab surgery
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »
Hi Everyone:

We thought we would provide you a brief update on Ken's translab surgery today.  The surgery lasted 8 hours.  Our daughter and I visited with Ken
shortly after he was brought to the ICU.  He talked to us the whole hour we were there.  He said that his jaw and neck were quite sore, possibly due to the position during surgery.  He's blinking and smiling ;) and is his usual witty self.

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes. 

Talk to you soon.

Michelle

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Update on 1cANAdian (Ken) Translab surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 09:16:09 pm »
Michelle -

excellent news!

Please give our best to Ken and welcome him to the world of "posties".

Thanks for the update; now get some rest.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 09:35:22 pm »
Michelle~
What a GREAT report!  Remember that it is still a long road...don't let Ken overdo it!!
Continued good healing!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:44:32 pm »
Michelle,

Excellent!!! We like good news around here.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 10:40:37 pm »
Credit where credit is due - the magic scarf strikes again (even if it hasn't arrived yet)!

Thanks for the update, Michelle, give Ken our best. We look forward to more of his humor when he gets back on the forum shortly - and some pics.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:26 am »
Great report, Michelle!  Thanks for the update and so glad to hear he was doing so well while still in ICU (I couldn't come out from under my washcloth to look at anyone or speak to anyone).  Steve's right, the Magic Scarf is doing wonders!  Hope he continues to so well!  Do let him know we're thinking of him,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Denisex2boys

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:32:44 am »
From one Canucky to another - - CONGRATS on such an awesome outcome!  But be sure to take it easy!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:01 am »
Here's hoping Ken's Day Two passes with relative comfort and ease.  Hugs and cheers coming your way...!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:20:21 am »
Thanks, Michelle.  That's great news.  Please give Ken our best -- and by all means, whenever that scarf shows -- please get a picture.

Hmm, I'm wondering if we should start a Scarf Hall of Fame.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:07:40 pm »
Hi, Michelle:

Thanks for the update on Ken and let him know we're very pleased with what appears to be a good outcome.  Prayers were answered - and a magical scarf probably didn't hurt, either.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »
<Michelle
AWESOME AWESOME NEWS....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 05:02:59 pm »
Hi Michelle!

Great news about Ken!! ;D ;D ;D  Please give him my best wishes for a speedy, eveventful reocvery.  I look forward to hearing about  his progress.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 05:13:15 pm »
Michelle,

Thanks for the update!  So glad to hear Ken's over the hurdle and can work on recovering now!  You folks from Canada are tough!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Emcee

Re: Update on 1cANAdian (Ken) Translab surgery - Day 2 update posted
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:31:50 am »
Hello Everyone:

Thank you all for your kind wishes.  I printed off your messages and read them to Ken last night.  We are still awaiting the arrival of the magic scarf.

Ken was disconnected from the IV yesterday morning and was moved from ICU to a ward room late afternoon.  He was definitely is definately feeling like he was hit by the proverbial bus.  He is experiencing heightened sensitivety to light and sound. 

I visiited with Ken this morning for a couple hours.  When I arrived, I noticed that he was hooked up to the IV again.  When I asked about it, Ken said that he had a seisure last night while they were trying to move him to another floor in a wheelchair.  It was caused by dehydration.

While I was there an ENT and his neurosurgeon dropped by for visits.  They did a a facial movement test and Ken scored a 2 out of 6, which is pretty good.  He has slight palsy on the AN side which may or may not go away.  His neurosurgeon confirmed that a small amount of the tumour was left to preserve the facial nerve.

Today they are going to disconnect the cathedra and try to get him up and walking a bit.

That's all for now.

Michelle.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 02:12:40 pm »
Michelle:

I'm sorry to learn about Ken's dehydration-caused seizure and his palsy which I hope and will pray eventually resolves.  Even so, if he is being disconnected from the catheter and encouraged to walk around a bit, that is definite progress!  I trust this improvement will continue and Ken will soon be home and on the road to a full recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.