Author Topic: Univ. of Penn vs. Stanford  (Read 2810 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Univ. of Penn vs. Stanford
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:49:54 pm »
Is University of Penn pro GK?  Is Standord pro CK?  I probably haven't done enough research, but it seems like that is what I am coming up with.  Go Team!!!  But, which one has the best team?  Of course, you gotta answer the first two questions before you can answer the third one!  Go for it!!!  Nancy

P.S. I was too chicken to post this on the Radiation section because I am wearing that page out.  Of course, Phyl, Steve, Jim and all of you guys hang out at all of these places anyway so it is obvious that you will catch up with me no matter where I go.  And Jim, Tag you're it!!!  Seems like you are taking an intellictual (did I spell that right) break!!!

Nancy Drew, AN Detective
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Lorenzo

Re: Univ. of Penn vs. Stanford
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:02:46 am »
Not sure about Penn, but Stanford is pro CK and Surgery, as they obviously do both, in particular Dr Chang. Which one has the best team? Depends on the definition of 'best'. Don't know about Penn. Stanford did more than 700 AN treatments with CK. I know I was happy with my docs at Stanford, and NOT happy with my docs here. I could have gone to Phoenix and BNI too, and would have been happy there too. Instead i went to the source of CK.

Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

southjersey636

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:45:28 pm »
I had surgery on my AN back in 2000 at The University of Penn and to this day I thank myself for choosing them to do the surgery. During my surgery at UOP, the doctors ran into some problems with a blood vessel near my tumor and instead of having a surgery that takes a few hours it turned into a 16 hour surgery! My doctors were very well prepared in this case and to this day i am still alive without any side affects from the surgery other then the loss of hearing, some uneasy balance, tiredness on certain days etc.. I believe if you choose UOP you are making a very good choice, I wouldn't think twice of going anywhere else after seeing how well they took care of me.If I recall the name of the Doctor that will do your surgery at UOP is Dr.Judie and Dr. Bigalow. The spelling of there names may be wrong but they have alot of expierence in doing the AN's. The nurses were very nice and you just feel very safe when your in this hospital knowing that the staff is very educated and experienced in dealing with all sorts of body problems.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:42:57 pm »
Nancy:

I'm almost always around but don't post unless I believe I have something to contribute.  Since you 'tagged' me, I figured I should let you know I'm not taking a break, just doing more reading than writing for the moment.  Thanks for noticing.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:58:36 am »
Hi Jim,

You are funny.  I notice I have a PM from you so I will get to that soon.  Glad to know that you hang out here and just read. You are keeping an eye on all of us who are struggling and going nutty here.  Thanks.

southjersey636 ,

I am so glad that you were in such good hands at Univ of Penn.  I just noticed that a lot of the info that my AN doctor gave me was from research done at Univ. of Penn.  The research was about GK, and I am sure it has its biaases because they seem to be pro-GK.  My doctor does GK so it makes sense that he would give me all of the good research on GK and then nothing on CK.  Sounds like Penn has an excellent surgery team as well.  I think it is probably important to find a treatment facility that one feels good about and go from there.  I am still researching my options here in Denver.  I keep thinking I might be in good hands here even though Denver is not Penn or Stanford or some other big "expert" AN facility.  Like I said, I am still doing research, and I know that I need to feel a bit more comfortable with my AN doctor before I put my AN in his hands.  Take care, and I hope you continue to do well on the path to recovery.

Nancy 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs