Author Topic: Upcoming Tests  (Read 4067 times)

Jenn15b

Upcoming Tests
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »
Tomorrow I will have a couple of tests, posturography, ENG, and Rotary Chair.  I have been studying for them diligently for the past week....that's a joke.  I am a bit concerned of the rotary chair, while I enjoy roller coasters, I doubt I will enjoy that ride.
3.2mm x 3.8mm
Diagnosed 3/24/10
Blog: www.jennsanjourney.blogspot.com

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Upcoming Tests
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:38:01 pm »
You will probably find that it is not a big deal. You can stop it if you think it is too much for you, but if you like roller coasters,you will think this is like sitting at the dinning room table.

James

grega

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:18:40 pm »
Hi Jenn ..... James' analogy is terrif .... I too greatly enjoy coasters, and that chair test did not make me dizzy.  If your tests include that water-in-the-ear thing, that might leave you wanting more chair-work and less H2O   :P

Also, if your ENT has you marching in place, ask why it's done, and what's significant about the results.  On your April 16th thread re arching in place, posters' results were "all over the place" and, seemingly, not dependent on AN side.  It was very curious.  (I sure would have liked marching music, but none was offered.)

Best to ya!

Greg
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:20:26 pm by grega »
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:48:19 pm »
I'm with Greg ...... I would take the Rotary Chair any day over the ENG (water-in-the-ear test  ::)).  I am not a roller coaster ride enthusiast ..... and although annoying, the Rotary Chair test was not a big deal for me.  The ENG test, on the other hand, was not pleasant ..... not painful but certainly not something I care to do again any time soon.  Both tests are important to an accurate diagnosis, especially if symptoms are not caused from an AN.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nanramone

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:44:26 pm »
Hi  - I have a question - no one has said I should have balance tests. I am pre-treatment - appointment for GK is in mid May.

I have slight momentary dizziness daily. In past years, I used to get vertigo, but that is rare - i feel slightly unbalanced at times when walking. I used to be a runner and would not feel comfortable walking now.
 I have seen one ENT, and one surgeon. I have been on the phone with Pittsburgh nurses. Why do some people get balance tests pre-surgery/radiation? It makes me wonder if there is something I should be doing....

Nancy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:14 pm »
Nancy .....

I do not think the balance tests are mandatory, once you know via an MRI with contrast that you have an AN.  My ENG and Rotary Chair tests were before I had a diagnosing MRI.

My guess is because Jenn15b's AN is very small, they are wanting to rule out any other components that may need treating while watching the AN.

To be on the safe side, you could always call your primary AN physician and ask if he/she thinks any pre-treatment balance tests would be helpful.  Much depends upon your type of treatment as to what to expect post-treatment regarding balance.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 06:51:45 pm »
Never had any of these tests.  It was obvious I had an AN based on my diagnostic MRI.

The only balance tests I had were walking down a straight narrow hallway heel-to-toe and another simple test that involved trying to stand on one foot without falling over.  I failed both tests miserably.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nanramone

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:23:17 pm »
oh k - it sounds like these tests are diagnostic. After the fact for me, I guess....

thank you~

Nancy

rupert

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:13 pm »

I never had any of these tests either.   Actually all the time I've been reading these forums I never even heard of these tests.   It's nice to learn new terminology though.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:05:10 pm »
Jenn ~

Upon discovery (via MRI scan) my AN was large enough (4.5 cm) to allow a very definite diagnosis so I never had any diagnostic tests, either.  However, 2 years after my surgery and FSR, I went on some fairly wild rides at Disney World i.e. 'Space Mountain', 'Test Track ' (and a few others)  with no problem, whatsoever.  This proved to me that I was definitely recovered.   However, I still have trouble walking heel-and-toe.  Fortunately, that particular exercise never seems to be required in my daily life.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 04:25:07 pm »
I had the water in the ear thing done too, but thankfully, not the rotary chair!  Yes, I like roller coasters, but for some reason, that sounds like some sort of torture device!

I think the tests can give them a better idea of where the AN is - is it more on the balance side or more on the hearing side.  It also gives them an idea of how damaged that portion of the nerve is which can help them give you a better idea of what things will be like afterwards.  In my case, the hearing portion was not affected, but my balance nerve was only functioning at about 40%.  That let them know that since I was not having any real balance problems pre-op, the other side had already been compensating quite well for the loss.  My doctor was able to warn me that my adjustment to the loss of hearing would likely be worse than my adjustment to the loss of the already damaged balance nerve.  He was right.  My balance now is pretty good, all things considered (as long as I don't turn my head or make any sudden moves!).

Maybe their thinking is that since the entire nerve is not being removed in one having radiation, the extra tests may not be necessary.   ???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.