Author Topic: 10 yrs!  (Read 4558 times)

Cheryl R

10 yrs!
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:56 am »
Today is the 10 year anniversary of my first AN surgery.     Hard to believe it has been 10 yrs and
such a scary time before to not know what life would be like after surgery.     There was not the internet info like now.      Plus in time to know that I would be found to be NF2.      I am very grateful to have ended up as good as I am.        I was going to go on a one day bus trip up to the mall of america but the date was canceled and are some later in the month.         So am off on a local shopping trip of my own.      I try to do Xmas shopping early as getting out in bad weather is one of my drawbacks anymore.     Trying to walk in a mall is my help as outdoors bothers me to do very much.               I have got to know so many ANers over time and feel blessed to have been able to be of help to many so one can know there is life after AN surgery (in my case).
      I just hope now that there will be no more tumors and have a better next decade!
                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Chances3

Re: 10 yrs!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:35:34 am »
Congrats Cheryl,

I read all that you have been through, and yet you have such a fantastic attitude.  You are an encouragement to us all.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »
YEA Cheryl!!

You're such an encouragement to others!  Keep on plugging and let's hope for a tumor free year!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:44 pm »
Happy 10 year ANniversary, Cheryl!  That is a terrific milestone!  You have walked a very jagged path in the past ten years and yet you are a truly inspirational survivor!  Thank you so much for continuing to share with everyone that there is, indeed, life after an AN!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 02:35:12 pm »
Congratulations, Cheryl!

Your expertise as a (retired) nurse, your long and varied experience with multiple tumors, surgeries and your willingness to share your knowledge and offer both advice and support to AN patients that need it is much appreciated. 

I hope your shopping trip was fun!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »
Cheryl, I am tipping my pink Bloomie's hat to you! You were a great shopping buddy in Chicago and I wish all the best for you in the years to come.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:14 pm »
I've been thinking you all day.   You've come a long way and walked a hard road.   Being the wonderful nurse that you are makes it maybe more difficult because you know so much about what's going on.    No there will be no more tumors.   You just can't have another.  It's not allowed!
Congratulations on your ten difficult years being behind you and enjoy the holidays to come!

Hugs,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jackie

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »
Congrats Cheryl R.

I always enjoy your upbeat attitude, and look forward to reading what you have to say, being the expert that you are! Thank-you for your sincere approach to all fellow AN'ers, what a lovely inspiring addition to this forum you are! May you be Blessed beyond measure!

Jackie in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:48 am »
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :o  :o

Cheryl, what a ride you have had..... 10 yrs ANniversary!  Amazing, m'dear!  MAJOR huggez to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyl  :-*  :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:09:17 am »
Thank you to everyone that wrote back.      I appreciate it very much.        I can't say I am an expert in this but have experience with most of it.     Everyone does vary with how it goes for them.       Now just hope my "experience" does not continue and I am can just be a helper here.                       Had a nice day yesterday as we had 70's weather and now tonight some chance of snow and cooler weather ahead.        I did get some Xmas shopping done and probably should add for those who hear me joke about being a shopper that is my way to get away from stress and find the best deal you can.    My sister says we have a family gene for it.   
                        So now my next 10 yrs begins!                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:03:01 pm »
Cheryl, we are blessed to know you.

Congratulation on this very BIG milestone!  ;D

Jan

PS - hope you buy lots of great stuff for your granddaughters; afterall, it's a grandma's job to spoil grandkids.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »
I agree .... you spoil those kids as much as you want!
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

JAndrews

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:59 pm »
It is people like you on this website that helped me alot when I was diagnosed. It was the scariest time of my life. Congrats on your 10 years....you are an inspiration and your outlook on life is a breath of fresh air.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

kraynok2

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »
Cheryl,
  As I'm approaching 1 year, I want to wish you a giagantic CONGRTULATIONS to you.  I was so glad to meet you at the symposium in Cincinnati.  You have been a great one for advice and information for all of us.  I've missed reading these posts the last few weeks, but some family illness and tooooo much school work did not leave me much time.  Since I had two tumors, the acoustic and the parotid, I had to have genetic testing for possible NF2.  The tests were negative, but not definitive.  So if another one shows up, it'll be more testing.  Thanks for all of your positive attitudes and advice.
Sandy

Mei Mei

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:51 pm »
Nice to see you here Sandy.   I enjoyed meeting with you and Cheryl in Cincinnati.
Cheryl is my source of inspiration and information.   She's a rock of Gibralter.   Congrats for your coming up one year ANniversary and Cheryl's BIG 10.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo