Author Topic: true head case  (Read 2737 times)

Bobtheheadcase

true head case
« on: September 02, 2010, 07:29:31 pm »
I had gamma knife two and a half years ago and everything is normal. Tinnitus and the occasional balance problems are normal aren't they?

I'm writing because of another difficulty that I had about seven days after the gamma knife. I had this bad headache. It was one of those lie -on-the-floor-hold-your-temples kind of headache that I thought just might kill me. The pain faded away after a minute or two and I was able to resume normal functions. I saw my GK neurosurgeon three days later as a follow up to the radiation and I mentioned the headache. He said,"I've done hundreds of AN radiation procedures and I've never had anyone mention such a reaction. Sounds like you had some sort of hemorrhage."

He sent me off for an MRA (just as much fun as an MRI, but this one is concerned with blood vessels rather than tumors). Several hours later I was in the hospital because the MRA had shown a brain aneurysm. If size matters for you, it was 5mm.

Much like the AN, I had two choices, this time it was between surgery or "coils." The coils procedure, at least in my case, involved a tube being inserted in the groin and sent up to the carotid artery and into my head to the aneurysm site. The aneurysm is a bubble in the artery wall and the wall of the bubble is weaker than the rest of the artery so titanium coils are pushed up the tube and inserted into the bubble. The coil attaches itself to the thin sides of the bubble and -- if all goes well -- stays there to line and protect the walls.

When your blood pressure goes up -- and my aneurysm neurosurgeon said most aneurysms burst during either a bowel movement or sex --  the blood pounds along the arteries and veins, normally doing no damage unless the walls of the vessel are weak -- like in an aneurysm.  The coils are there for protection.

The "gold standard" -- as I was told -- is surgery -- cut the head open, put a clip on the bubble to seal it off, and sew it back up again. But that wasn't so appealing so I went with the coils. It had to be a much quicker decision than with the AN though, aneurysms are treated as though there's no time to waste.

Unfortunately, the procedure didn't go well. My aneurysm was heart shaped: two bubbles instead of one, and it had a wide neck (the area where the artery wall starts to bulge out of place) and the neck required a stent (piece of mash) to keep the coils from falling out. So the doc put a stent over the neck and then pushed the tube through the mesh and inserted a coil. He put two coils in the first bubble and a single coil in the other bubble. He told me later he thought he would "get cute" and put in a fourth coil. He put the fourth in and as he was removing the tube he accidentally pulled the stent out of place and it floated into the artery. As it happened the stent got stuck on the artery wall, it's still there today. While that was happening, three of the coils also broke free and went sailing off into the bloodstream. This is not a good thing, a stroke is one of the potential problems arising at this point. The doc, however was able to catch the errant coils and extract them back down the tube and out of my body. The fourth coil stayed where it was. Then they woke me up to find out if I still had all my faculties. I did.

A few weeks later I was back for a repeat procedure, this time with a different neurosurgeon. This guy was the best available. I know because he told me. He had more luck than doc number one, this latest guy was able to get the right amount of coils in place to remedy the problem by "95%."

Ninety-five percent however, is not ideal for an aneurysm so, a few weeks later, I went back for procedure number three. Despite about four hours of valiant effort by the team of four doctors, they couldn't get another coil in to plug the aneurysm so they sent me home and that's where we are today, two years later.

You can probably understand why I call myself the head case.

Be well,

Bob

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: true head case
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:47:18 pm »
Bob, you be well too. Truly.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

moe

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:19:09 am »
Bob,
You really ARE a head case :o, thanks for sharing that story-what an ordeal >:(
Do they think the GK caused the aneurysm? or do they know (would probably never admit it if they think it did)
How often do you get the MRA? I would imagine it is still nerve wracking knowing you have a small piece of it there. You are probably a walking miracle, considering all the messing around they did with your brain artery...
Keep the faith, and keep living. :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 11:09:45 am »
Bob .....

WOW!  What an experience .....  You truly are a walking miracle.  I, as well, wonder if there could be any connection between the AN and the aneurysm ..... probably not.  Just one of those weird series of events.

Prayers that all stays stable.  Keep your blood pressure under control!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:58:25 pm »
Bob ~

Yours is an extraordinary story.  I trust that things are O.K., now.  Thanks for posting and please know that you'll be in the prayers of many.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
Bob,

You are a very brave man to even allow another neurosurgeon to go back in and do the procedure all over again.  What an ordeal, I'm still shaking my head in amazement and very grateful you have all of your faculties. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:14:02 pm »
Bob,
Welcome to the forum, and I can't believe what you have been through.  We are here for you and one big happy family as I'm sure you can already see.
What is your next step?  Is there another Dr who's willing to try a different approach?  Is it possible to remove the coils and try radiation? 
headcase is a fantastic screen name for you, love it.
Again welcome,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 05:17:03 pm »
So sorry you are going through all of this I am still shaking my head I cannot believe it.... You are a walking miracle.

My prayers are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.