Author Topic: Negative Gamma Knife Stories Only!!!  (Read 2359 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Negative Gamma Knife Stories Only!!!
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:37:23 pm »
Hi!

This is Nancy Drew once again doing her detective work.  Since I have already asked for positive gamma knife stories and gotten them (and I am so happy for all of you), I need to turn the question around.  I need to hear from those who have not been so fortunate in their GK journey.  I am especially interested in getting info about hearing preservation since I have fairly good hearing and want to keep it.  In advance, I am sorry if you had disappointing results with your GK--not fair.

Nancy 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

linnilue

Re: Negative Gamma Knife Stories Only!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:19:37 pm »
Well, I will be very clear here.  I had linac, a form of radiation, a one shot deal like gk.  My hearing was totally normal until 4 months after the linac and one night I lost almost all of my heaaring hearing, including the acoustic reflex.  However, I honestly don't find this so difficult to deal with in fact I forget about the loss most of the time.  I am 3 1/2 years out.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: Negative Gamma Knife Stories Only!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:08:55 pm »
Kikynu,

I am so sorry to hear about your negative results, but it sounds like you are coping well.  The treatment you had, is it apples to apples with GK?  I need to research what you are talking about.  I am not aware of other types of radiation except GK and CK.  It must have been horrible to go in with normal hearing and then have such a drastic hearing loss.  That is my fear.  Take care.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs