Author Topic: Both my Drs. are in surgery...I need help!  (Read 3163 times)

themis1982

Both my Drs. are in surgery...I need help!
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:58:08 am »
I had surgery Jan. 2005. For the last couple weeks a portion of my scar is swelling and turning red as a tomato. I thought I'd wait it out and hope it would go away, stupid me. It's gotten so bad that I didn't sleep at all last night because my head was to tender to lay on my pillow. It's also turning into an earache. The portion that it swollen is right at my hairline, just above my neck, it's no longer than an inch in length. It seems so bizarre that I would be having scar complications so far into recovery. Has anyone else heard of this, or had the same problem ???

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Both my Drs. are in surgery...I need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:13:58 pm »
themis1982
  "Swelling and turning red as a tomato"  doesn't sound good to me.  It could be a serious infection.  If it's something like Cellulitis ( an infection under the surface of the skin), that can be life threatning if left untreated.  Please take yourself to a doctor.  Hopefully it's not serious, but why risk it.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

themis1982

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:21:34 pm »
Do you think infection is still possible 1 1/2 yrs. later?

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 12:35:14 pm »
  Swelling and redness are both symptoms of infection.  At the very least, swelling and redness around your scar is not normal, and needs to be seen by a doctor.
Rob
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

katherine

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:31:36 pm »
I had an infection 3 years after the surgery.  Go get it checked out.  Katherine

themis1982

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 08:48:18 am »
I did go to the Dr. yesterday. He thought it was an infection when I described it to him too. Turns out my bone is actually poking out of my skin, and I have a tiny neuroma regrowth....I'm not quite sure where (I should have asked more questions, but I kind of went into shock when he said the word "surgery") He said it's a fairly simple procedure to remove it, they just have to reopen my scar and saw of that portion of my bone, then he will do some nerve work. So...tis that time of season to have surgery again.
Thanks for all of your suggestions...I think I needed that extra little push to go have it checked out. I'm disappointed to be having surgery again, but I realize that it could be a lot worse.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 07:29:03 pm »
themis,
  Glad to hear you were able to get an appointment.  And sorry to hear you need surgery.  Best of luck with your treatment.  Let us know how it goes.
Regards,
 Rob   
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW