Author Topic: Ponto Pro Input  (Read 4909 times)

MNTim

Ponto Pro Input
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »
Started a demo of a Ponto Pro BAHA or osseointegrated implant for the insurance companies, can't be a hearing aid you know.  I had my final procedure nearly a year ago and have had very limited hearing from my left ear for a couple of years prior.  It is amazing what I hear and also the location hearing.  I thought the location hearing would come with time but I noticed it immediately.

The only issues so far are soreness in the area where the receiver is located (on one of my scars) and the name (In MN a popular version of a corndog is a Pronto Pup).  The audiologist also discussed the Cochlear BP100 but was not very enamored with it.  Can users of either provide any advice?

I asked about insurance coverage because of issues I have read about here.  She said that although there are always issues she doesn't believe they have ever had a claim rejected.  Good news for an expensive procedure.

Thanks,
Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Ponto Pro Input
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:06:41 pm »
Tim -

I wear a BP100 (Cochlear device); upgraded in April 2010 from a Cochlear Divino.

I had a few slight issues with my BP100 that were fixed quickly, but unfortunately lots of people have had different experiences - and some of them haven't been too positive, which is probably why your audi isn't enamored with Cochlear.  Cochlear is a great company though, despite their recent string of bad luck with it comes to BP100 repairs, and they make good on their products.  They generally stick to a 5 business day repair and return time, and pay for shipping round-trip on processors sent to them to be fixed.

I'm frankly surprised that you are experiencing directionality with a BAHA, because studies have shown that this isn't something that happens.  I used to think that I had directionality, but was part of a study that proved I didn't have it afterall  ::)

That said, BAHAs are amazing.  I've had mine since March 2004 and have never regretted having the implant surgery.

Both Cochlear and Oticon (maker of the Ponto Pro) will work with your insurance company to help you get approval.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
The only issues so far are soreness in the area where the receiver is located (on one of my scars) and the name (In MN a popular version of a corndog is a Pronto Pup).  The audiologist also discussed the Cochlear BP100 but was not very enamored with it.  Can users of either provide any advice?

Hi Tim .....

Maybe I am missing something in your post but what exactly do you mean by "soreness in the area where the receiver is located?"  Do you already have the abutment implanted?  Or were you talking about a demo device?

Cochlear changed their abutments about a year ago so their devices are no longer compatible with the Oticon Medical abutments.  So, if you already have the abutment, the decision for companies is already made.

I have had my Oticon Medical abutment since May, 2011 and the Ponto Pro device since August, 2011.  I love it and have had zero problems.  One of the keys is to have an audiologist who is very experienced in programming bone-anchored hearing devices.  I do have a certain degree of directionality with mine.  My audiologist feels it is my long history as a musician and very keen awareness of differences in tone qualities.  Thus, my brain seems to have learned to distinguish the sound input from the Ponto as opposed to my natural hearing from the other side ..... giving me directionality in that sense.  I have no pain nor discomfort whatsoever with mine.

My insurance paid 100% of it.  HEI and/or my audiologist at UK completed all of the paperwork so it was very painless for me.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MNTim

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 08:47:29 pm »
Ladies,

Thank you for your input.

Clarice,

It is a demo so it has the elastic band.  At about an hour I notice soreness where the plastic piece is against my head.  I understand that is not a concern with the abutment.  My biggest concern has been having another surgery (3 prior).  But after discussing with the audiologist I think a BAHA is the best option.

I assumed "directionality" referred to where sound originates.  When I mentioned "directionality" I was informed I meant "location".  Can either of you define the terms?

Thanks,
Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »
Tim .....

I think it is a matter of semantics here ..... being able to determine the location of sound sources is having directionality of sound.  At least that's the way I understand it.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 10:37:58 am »
Tim -

don't be fearful of the implant surgery; it's absolutely NOTHING like AN surgery (thank God).

It's a simple, outpatient surgery, and can even be done with local anesthesia.  I opted for local and was wide-awake during my procedure.  Over 90% of my docs' patients choose local, but he does use general anesthesia if that's what they prefer. 

From start to finish, the surgery is about 90 minutes and a lot of that time is spent prepping you (lots of drapes).  Post op I went to lunch with my sister and attended my son's volleyball game at the local junior high school.  I drew a few funny looks - since my head was wrapped in mastoid bandages - but other than that I was "normal".

I returned to work two days after surgery; would have gone the next day but wasn't allowed to take off my lovely bandages until that afternoon.  Figured my co-workers might be freaked out by it, so I waited until day 2.

As for directionality, I meant being able to hear exactly what direction sound is coming from.  With my BAHA, I have a general idea, but am often not precisely correct.  For example, if sound is on my deaf (left) side, and I'm wearing my BAHA I am aware that it's coming from the left, but I can't say 100% if it's located immediately to my left (as in right next to me) or behind me towards my left side.  Hope this makes sense.

From the first day I started wearing my processor, I've had the "sense" that my directionality was perfect, but the study I participated in proved me wrong.  The results of the study were conclusive that BAHAs don't give the wearer's directionality, although most feel like it does.  So, in short, it's an illusion.  A very nice one, though.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MNTim

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:22:06 pm »
Jan,

But it really seems like I can tell where it is coming from!  I will just remain comfortable in my ignorance. 
I have read and heard that the procedure is simple compared to AN removal procedures that we have experienced but having surgery just doesn't excite me.  My ten year old daughter asked me why I had to have another surgery.  She has seen dad's head wrapped one too many times.  Me too!

Thanks for the input.

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:32 am »
Hi Tim,
I also found it difficult to wear the demo for more than an hour or two without it hurting my head.  I have the Cochlear.  I started with the BP100 and had lots of problems with feedback.  I am now using the Cochlear BP110 which is the power model.  Though there are times when I still get feedback, I seem to be having better luck with this one.  The sound is terrific and the word discrimination is excellent.  It's so great to hear people when they are whispering in my deaf ear!  Even with all the issues I've had, I would do this all over again.  I'm happier with the device than without it.   I think the decision of which to go with is a personal decision and what your doctor seems to be most comfortable with as well.  I know it's another surgery, but it is more of a "procedure" than a surgery. I just had a protective plastic cup/cover that I had to wear for 48 hours, then no bandages or anything. I do understand your dilemma. The more you read here on the forum, the more confident you will feel.  This is a wonderful support group.  Good luck,
dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 08:10:13 am »
Tim,

I think I can explain why you have the sense of directionality with the test unit. When I tried the test there was a tremendous difference in the sound quality.It was kind of mechanical and tinny, or like being in the bottom of a well. Because of this, it was relatively easy to get a sense of where the sound originated.

However, the sound quality difference between vibrations through the skin and onto the skull vs against the implant/skull combo is huge. For awhile I could notice a difference, but now, seven months later, not so much at all.The quality is simply that much better and the brain filters out some of the white noise.

I agree with the others that surgery is a piece of cake. I stayed home the first day after and was back at work the next day, though I went home early. The only bad part of my surgery was that my wife went into a severe anxiety attack since the last time we had been through that pre-op process and all before was for my really long surgery.

I have the Ponto Pro and it is quite excellent. And I still like showing it off to people.

-tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Goldie

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:00:48 pm »
Tim, I agree with all of the above.  I've been using the Ponto Pro for just about a year and love it.  It's not 100%, but is SO much better than going without.  A couple of times I've forgotten it at home and have had my husband deliver it to me--it's that helpful.  Social situations are so much more comfortable and once it's on, I forget about it.  I've never had any feedback issues.  I'm still aware of the "directionality" issues, but that's just something I've adapted to.  I understand about not wanting another surgery, as I felt the same way.  I waited a full year after my AN surgery, but it really was as simple as Jan explained and I wish I had done it sooner.  I just had a head wrap for 24 hours.  I found the demo very uncomfortable too, but don't go by that at all!  I'd encourage you to go for it!

Fellow Minnesotan,
Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.