Author Topic: Neurosurgeon and Otologist?  (Read 5209 times)

phx

Neurosurgeon and Otologist?
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:31:58 pm »
Has anyone been operated by both? Don't they have to work together during the surgery if the tumor is pushing out to the brain? I was told that the Neurosurgeon would do his part that involved the brain and the Otologist would do his part with the ear.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Neurosurgeon and Otologist?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:46:04 pm »
phx -

it is the norm for doctors to work in teams during AN surgery.

I had a neurotologist and a neurosurgeon. 

AN surgery is done through a microscope through a tiny "window" in the skull and the tumor is actually peeled away layer by layer - so most AN surgeries are long.

I notice you are a newbie.  Welcome to the Forum.

Have you contacted the ANA about their informational literature?  It's fabulous and very informative.  If you haven't requested it yet, I highly recommend it.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »
I also had both a neurologist and neuro-otologist.  The way it was explained to me, the neuro-otologist peels away all the layers down to the tumor and then then neurologist gets the tumor out.  In my case, they both can do everything so if something happens to the one guy, the other can take over if needed (potty break I'm thinking...lol). 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:25 pm »
Potty break - very funny  :D

Actually since removing a tumor layer by layer using a microscope is such tedious "close" work, the doctors frequently "spell" each other during the surgery.  It gives them each a chance for a "set of new eyes" and keeps them fresh.

Of course, the potty break may very well be relevant also!  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:56 am »
My surgeons were on the microscope for 16 hours. I've always wondered exactly what each of them did and where they were during the whole surgery...
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:31 am »
It was explained to me that the neurotologist (or ENT) does everything outside the dura mater and the neurosurgeon does everything inside.  I guess kinda like a "Tag!  You're it" scenario.

I know I wouldn't last 16 hours without a potty break.  Or a chocolate break.  Or a coffee break.  And maybe a nap....

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:48:06 pm »
I had a team (Otologist and Neurosurgeon) as well...  It's very common for them to work as a team.

Potty break?  heh..  I hadn't thought of that, but during my 12 hour surgery, I guess that would've come up a couple of times..  I imagine them needing to eat a snack during that time came up a time or two also to keep their energy up.

I've never really been clear on which one did what, but I know they both played an important role.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »
Phx ~

Although most AN removal surgical teams seem to employ both an otolaryngologist and a neurosurgeon, I had two neurosurgeons perform my AN surgery.  The lead doctor was highly experienced (30+years) in AN removals and his assistant, a younger (mid-30's) female neurosurgeon he was mentoring to take over his practice, assisted him.  The need for an otolaryngologist was never mentioned in my consultations with the neurosurgeon.  The surgery went exceptionally well and I never even thought about not having an otolaryngologist in the OR.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:54 pm »
Pembo -

did you ever read your operative report?  It should tell you which doctor did which part(s) of your surgery.

I read mine about a week post op, but it's been a while since my surgery so I don't recall the specifics.

I know that my neurotologist is the one who sewed me up after my AN was removed but other than that, memory fails me.

Jan

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:53 pm »
My comments 100% same as Jan's first one!   I had both neurotologist and neurosurgeon.    Also got wonderful literature from ANA.

I also got much wonderful, helpful literature from my neurotologist office at Michigan Ear Institute.   Plus, the neurosurgeon I had focuses mostly on AN surgery or radiation.   He too gave me much helpful literature on both previous to surgery.    You may have to ask for it, some doctors don't just give you handfuls of stuff.

I didn't look at previous posts, but are you asking PRE surgery?

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »
I too had both an ENT and neurosurgeon and each took over their own sections of the nine hour surgery as noted in the operative report...they sign off on their own specialties.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh