Author Topic: Facial paralysis getting better/worse ???  (Read 1770 times)

marg

Facial paralysis getting better/worse ???
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:53:51 am »
Hi all,
     I am about 6 weeks post AN surgery.  I have partial facial paralysis on the AN side.  In the last couple of weeks I have seen more movement under my eye area and by the corner of my mouth.  I have also noticed that when I wash my face with a warm wash cloth... the AN side muscles by my mouth& nose pull up.... then tonight suddenly the left side of my mouth pulled down for a minute..... is it normal to have this happen when the facial muscles are recovering ? 
     I am hoping that some of you who have had recovering facial paralysis can tell me if this is normal ... or if it is something I should call my neurosurgeon's office about.
        Another new post surgery experience......  :-\
     Thanks,
      Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Facial paralysis getting better/worse ???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 05:56:42 am »

yep... they can twitch,pull,zaps or hurt like someone belted you.... its all part of the recovery ...

if your at only 6 weeks... sounds like your on the fast track (I know it does not seem like it to you!).  ;)
this can go on for years... but as the months go by... you will get better and better.  ;D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

marg

Re: Facial paralysis getting better/worse ???
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:09:38 am »
Thanks so much Joef.  It sure helps to have AN 'family' to help me through this journey.  I won't worry about it then. 

Just FYI.... I have a friend who had to have his facial muscle replaced and he said that taking B12 really speeded up the facial muscle recovery process..... that is what I have been doing ..so maybe that is why things are moving faster.  Anyway, thanks for the info.

Margaret   ;D
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !