Author Topic: Lasik Surgery before AN surgery.  (Read 4581 times)

loose screws (tightened)

Lasik Surgery before AN surgery.
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »
I had lasik surgery about 2 years ago and now I'm worried that AN surgery may damage my vision. Should I be concerned?
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

opp2

Re: Lasik Surgery before AN surgery.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:32:14 pm »
I wouldn't. The AN won't affect your vision unless it gets very large. You may suffer from dry eyes, but your lasik flaps will be healed by now and should respond appropriately to drops or lubricating lotion.

I had laser surgery before lasik was invented. I have limited issues, as I posted in another thread. Surgery won't fix that. The nerve is being affected not the eye itself.

All the best.

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:11:56 pm »
I had LASIK in 2000 and surgery resulting in facial paralysis in 2008. I keep my eye lubricated with Refresh PM round the clock and have no damage to my vision (other than blurriness from the ointment).

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:15 pm »
Some who have AN surgery develop double vision.  Most of the time it's temporary - I had it myself for a few days post op - but sometimes it lasts for a while.  I don't know how this does or does not relate to you having Lasik surgery but thought I'd mention it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »
Thank you all for your replies.
Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:32:45 am »
Mike, I should have mentioned that I am truly grateful that I had the LASIK before facial paralysis as I don't think an ophthalmologist would do it now. I had really bad vision, and had the most units of correction possible in my right eye. Now at least all I have to deal with is the dryness and blurry vision on the left side. No messing with glasses or a single contact, thank goodness.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:04:14 pm »
Mike ~

I'm not sure if this relates to your question regarding the LASIK procedure, but I considered it close enough to be worth posting.    Do with it what you will.

No LASIK procedures - but I did have cataract surgery about two years after my AN surgery/radiation.  That involved the ophthalmologist removing the clouded lens from my (left) eye - the 'AN side' - and replacing it with an artificial lens.  He was fully aware of my AN surgery/radiation and never indicated any reservations or concerns regarding the cataract surgery.  The operation was painless and completely successful.  I had undergone the same procedure (successfully) back in '99 for my right eye.  After 50+ years of myopia, I now have close to 20/20 vision and no longer need eyeglasses.  The many people who depend on their glasses to see clearly and function normally will understand my elation at no longer being dependent on 'spectacles'.   

The takeaway from this is that it's pretty doubtful that AN surgery will permanently affect your vision.  As Jan ('leapyrtwins') stated, some temporary 'double-vision' may occur immediately post op.  I experienced that but,  just as it happened with Jan, the double-vision subsided completely within a few days.  Of course, it may not happen at all so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:59 pm »
I had horrible vision, didn't qualify for Lasik (was over 20/1150) so I had what Jim had for cataracts, but when you have it done to an eye without cataracts it is called a clear lens transplant.  I had it done in FL because at the time they were not doing it in NYC and considered a bit radical- basically take out your lens and put in a prescription lens.  Never thought about it until my preop day before surgery and it was not a concern to them at all.  I have 20/20 vision and was not affected by surgery at all so I can't imagine Lasiks would be an issue.
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'