Author Topic: My AN Recovery Methods with nerve stretched and intact shared recently  (Read 3359 times)

rsteph

The numbness lasted for months and it was so gradual that I really did not notice the recovery.  The tingling  sensations on my face came and went and was like a tickle under the skin that would come and go.  Eat well. Salmon with the skin.  High quality protein and super vegetables and fruit like avocados broccoli kiwi cherries .   I mixed bananas with peanut butter and added raw walnuts and blueberries for breakfast daily and had a liquid B-12 drop or two to chase that.  Also I bought a Homedics back massager from Target that has the red LED lights on the head that heat up.  I used that on my face because of the heat and the vibrations are stimulating.  There is some science indicating that light therapy is effective at stimulating muscles and nerves.  So I thought that a $19 purchase was worth it. I am a believer now.   Try small smile exercises but do not try too hard to overwork the good side.  I didn't smile to much during the ordeal so I didn't overdo that.  Another thing I did was use my tongue and press it against the roof of my mouth and side to side because it triggers cheek muscles and throat muscles when you do that and that helped me a lot to feel what was going on and no therapist told me to do that.  I am telling you a slow recovery is the best.  12-18 months is the timeline for some kind of movement return but considering your tumor size who knows.  Don't believe what they tell you because as you said we are all on a different timeline.  Had I listen to them I would have allowed them to cut my nerve at 6 months and that is irreversible.  They were all wrong with me in the recovery phase.  The doctor finally said there is nothing we could have done to give you the recovery you have now.  I am afraid to use cellphones but we all have to.  For thousands of years civilizations have known that sunlight exposure for the sick helped cure them. That is no joke and only sunlight can produce that good vitamin D that can cure cancer and heal but I am not talking about getting sunburn but sitting out in the late afternoon sunlight that is not so intense but enough to give you a slight tan and not burn you.  Don't use sunscreen for this because it will block UVA/UVB rays and will not help you.  It all may sound crazy but I guess something worked for me.  I worked and stayed in most of the first year but I keep busy at work. My eye is not perfect but lack of tears was not a problem but when I do tear up I can't see well out of my eye usually when I eat or exercise in the wind but I am grateful to have tears.
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
rsteph ~

Thanks for contributing your unique but effective methods of self-motivated, post-op facial recovery.  I'm pleased to learn of your progress - and your advice to 'take it slow' is prudent.  Your information is appreciated.  You've probably encouraged more recovering AN patients than you realize.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

rsteph

If anyone would like to see my pics.  I would gladly send them to you.  Just send me an email.  I had total right sided facial paralysis for 10 months with no movement until the 11 month and it was hardly noticed by me.  I thought that was all I would get back but the doctors said it was a beginning of a new timeline.  Just when I completely lost hope only then did the movement start to return...
3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

GarryCollins

Re: My AN Recovery Methods with nerve stretched and intact shared recently
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:37:47 am »
The numbness lasted for months and it was so gradual that I really did not notice the recovery.  The tingling  sensations on my face came and went and was like a tickle under the skin that would come and go.  Eat well. Salmon with the skin.  High quality protein and super vegetables and fruit like avocados broccoli kiwi cherries .   I mixed bananas with peanut butter and added raw walnuts and blueberries for breakfast daily and had a liquid B-12 drop or two to chase that.  Also I bought a Homedics back massager from Target that has the red LED lights on the head that heat up.  I used that on my face because of the heat and the vibrations are stimulating.  There is some science indicating that light therapy is effective at stimulating muscles and nerves.  So I thought that a $19 purchase was worth it. I am a believer now.   Try small smile exercises but do not try too hard to overwork the good side.  I didn't smile to much during the ordeal so I didn't overdo that.  Another thing I did was use my tongue and press it against the roof of my mouth and side to side because it triggers cheek muscles and throat muscles when you do that and that helped me a lot to feel what was going on and no therapist told me to do that.  I am telling you a slow recovery is the best.  12-18 months is the timeline for some kind of movement return but considering your tumor size who knows.  Don't believe what they tell you because as you said we are all on a different timeline.  Had I listen to them I would have allowed them to cut my nerve at 6 months and that is irreversible.  They were all wrong with me in the recovery phase.  The doctor finally said there is nothing we could have done to give you the recovery you have now.  I am afraid to use cellphones but we all have to.  For thousands of years civilizations have known that sunlight exposure for the sick helped cure them. That is no joke and only sunlight can produce that good vitamin D that can cure cancer and heal but I am not talking about getting sunburn but sitting out in the late afternoon sunlight that is not so intense but enough to give you a slight tan and not burn you.  Don't use sunscreen for this because it will block UVA/UVB rays and will not help you.  It all may sound crazy but I guess something worked for me.  I worked and stayed in most of the first year but I keep busy at work. My eye is not perfect but lack of tears was not a problem but when I do tear up I can't see well out of my eye usually when I eat or exercise in the wind but I am grateful to have tears.

Thanks for this very useful post.. I was searching for some information and finally I got this wonderful thread.. Thanks again