Author Topic: Headaches post gamma knife treatment  (Read 4711 times)

Gloria Nailor

Headaches post gamma knife treatment
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:01 pm »
Hello there, I had my gamma knife treatment two weeks ago today.  I have been experiencing daily headaches that are progressively becoming more uncomfortable, have been taking Motrin or Tylenol several times a day, which takes the edge off a bit. The headaches are around the crown of my head and more noticeable on the left side of my forehead, my AN is on the right. I called the doc today at Tufts in Boston, where I had my treatment, he said he's  never had a patient complain of headaches becoming progressively worse after the gamma knife before. We are going to trial small dose steroids for a few days and see what happens.  Just curious if anyone out there had similar headaches after their gamma knife treatment?????  thanks for your time!
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK

Nannybee

Re: Headaches post gamma knife treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:21:56 pm »
I didn't have Gamma Knife, but did have stereotactic radio surgery and have experienced headaches post-treatment, also mostly in the crown area and the side of the head opposite my treatment. Good luck with the steroids! I think you will find lots of company here who have experienced post treatment headaches.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

proudmomof3

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
I also have headaches post GK. I always had minor headaches before GK, but they progressively grew worse after GK and now are full blown headaches (feels like someone stabbing my head). They happen at least 1-2 times per week, and some last for up to 3 days. My surgeon said they are "not" related to GK (I do not believe this at all). I have seen a neurologist since who states they are migraines and will not admit it is related to GK. He actually says he doesn't know why I get them but stress plays a factor (I do believe that as I am always under a great deal of stress).

Unfortunately, I do not have any advice for you. Just know that there are many of us out there that experience the same thing, with no real remedy to the problem.

Hope you feel better soon.
Right AN - 1.5cm
Diagnosed 3/2011
GK  4/2011
Last MRI 5/13 - 1.5cm
SSD Right Side, Constant Tinnitus, Vertigo, Headaches

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:14:54 pm »
Hello proudmomof3;
   Are your HAs also on the opposite side as the AN?

Petrone

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:55:42 pm »

I also had severe, stabbing headaches about 8-9 weeks after GK. My physicians had that same frustratingly puzzled reaction, "My, what on earth could be causing that?" I don't know doc, but I never experienced headaches like this before I had GK. After trying several over-the-counter pain relievers. I found Aleve helped the most. An ice pack also helped. Fortunately, the headaches seem to have subsided. 

Feel better soon.
Petrone

1.4cm diagnosed 3/2010
W&W until 1.8cm by 10/2012
GK performed 4/17/2013 at Froedtert in WI
2 years after GK - 1.6cm
3 years after GK - 1.4cm

Gloria Nailor

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:07 pm »
thank you for your replies, hoping the headaches are short lived! Started some steroids today, lets hope they help.
4/2011 diagnosed with 3 cm AN on right side
6/15/2011 retrosigmoid craniotomy which resulted in SSD, severe facial paralysis
7/2011 gold weight placed right eye lid
5/2012 tarsorrpapny right eye
6/2012 woke up with a smile
1/2013 cranioplasty because a screw came out of my head!
6-7/13 regrowth, GK