Author Topic: middle fossia (sp?) approach  (Read 4170 times)

nannettesea

middle fossia (sp?) approach
« on: October 18, 2005, 12:12:42 pm »
I'm curious, for those who had middle fossia (sp?) approach, how many of you had hearing preserved?  I was told in my case there was only 30% chance of saving it, so opted for trans-lab, but would like to know if there are many success stories.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: middle fossia (sp?) approach
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 04:29:43 pm »
Hi,

I had middle fossa approach on my AN 3 years ago. I can't remember the size of it but it was small enough for this technique. I had experienced reduced hearing, particularly when on the phone. Hearing tests identified a loss of around 25%.

Post op, I can hear noise in that ear but can't make out words, they sound very muffled, I have significant tinitus and severe headaches (even 3 years later). headaches seem to be a common side effect of surgery when you read through this website.

The other issue I have is that the AN has returned. It grows on the 7th nerve and I thought that they removed it all however, they left the "casing" of the growth on the nerve (didn't tell me that) and its grown back. After reading people's stories in this website and reviewing reference material particularly supplied by Jamie, I will be having radiotherapy treatment on my regrowth. I wish I had have known about this pre my op coz I would have not had an op to remove the growth.

Before you commit yourself to surgery, check out the various comments in this web site and seek other opinions regarding potential radiation treatment. It's very different to treatment of cancer.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Bernadette

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 05:22:11 pm »
I had the Middle Fossa, it has been 1 month ,tomorrow I go for a hearing test. I still have ringing in my ear. My tumor had grown and had they known the size when they went in, it would have been a different surgery. I do have hearing in my ear.Its my eye and my facial nerve that I am dealing with..........Bernadette

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 05:30:41 pm »
Hi Nan, I had Middle Fossa approach done on July 26, 2005 at House Ear Clinic. My hearing was normal before surgery. After surgery I lost 10% of my hearing on the surgery side, but it is still within the range of normal. I can talk on the phone on my surgery side and carry on conversations as if I didn't even have surgery. I have no facial paralysis and  no headaches. Within 8 weeks I was back to work full time and did not get fatigued. My tumor was small, 5mm x 8mm, maybe that is why I had such a good outcome, plus I felt I had picked the right place to have my surgery. One problem with some people that have success stories is they feel no need to continue with this forum and get on with their lives. I feel just the opposite. We all need to help and encourage one another. Hope this helps? Ann

HEI July 26, 2005
5mm x 8mm left AN
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 08:42:39 pm »
Desilu,
Thanks for such a good story, am very happy for you.  I agree, we need to hear the good stuff, too, and support those who are struggling.
Nan
Trans-lab approach
8/29/05

matti

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 09:36:05 am »
Nan - I had surgery for  my AN in July of 1998 via the Middle Fossa Approach. The reason used for this type was that my hearing was perfect and this would be the best chance to save it. Once in there they discovered my tumor was larger than anticipated at 3.5cm and it had severly splayed both my facial and hearing nerves. They could not save my hearing but worked liked heck to save the facial. They ended up cutting the hearing nerve, but did save my facial. I had facial paralysis for 4 months and 7 years later, I am back to about 80% of normal. Life is good!!!!!!

I wish I had had more time to research my tumor and the different types of surgeries available, but everything happened so quickly once I was diagnosed (1 week). I had been misdiagnosed for almost 2 years, so at this point it was now pressing on my brain stem. Plus, there was not a whole lot of info on the net other than horror stories. Thank goodness for this wonderful site, as  7 years post op, it still continues to help me.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jessie127

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 02:40:05 pm »
Hi NAN, this sunday will be 2 months I had surgery at the House Ear Institute and I had the middle fossa approach with a medium size 1.5cm tumor....I also had a great outcome.....my hearing was preserved and the reason the doctor chose middle fossa was because since my hearing was still intact they wanted to preserve it which they did....the experience there was great some people feel naseous but the few times I felt like that I asked for medication and everything turned out great....I was in the hospital 4 days and then went to the seton hall for a week......I hear fine though.....Let me know if you would like any more information.

Jessica
Dr. De La Cruz and Dr. Hitzelberger
Jessica - Age 28
August 23, 2005
House Ear Clinic - middle fossa approach - 1.2cm
Dr. De La Cruz and Dr. Hitselberger

kristin

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 09:16:29 pm »
hi nan,

i too had middle fossa at HEI in LA 6 months and one week ago! i had no hearing loss prior to surgery and my post-op hearing test showed only a 5 decibel loss. however the tech and doctor both said that could have been a test to test differential.

i had a small tumor (8mm x 5mm) too that was actually more on the superior vestibular nerve than it was on the hearing or facial nerve (or so the docs say..makes sense though becuase my only symptom was vertigo). i don't have any facial paralysis or hearing loss. i think i've developed a bit of ringing in my ear lately though. but i only notice it when it's quiet.

hope this helps..

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Shawna

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 06:51:28 pm »
I have a similar size tumor to Jessica's, and am concerned about doing the middle fossa approach.  I have decent hearing in the tumor side, but I'm having difficulty with the risk to the facial nerve.  My doctor recommeded the MF approach, but being a 35 year old with a toddler, I'm feeling a little bit of vanity setting in.  How did you decide to do the MF?  I go for my preop appt at Stanford on 11/2, so I have to make a decision soon.  I'm glad to hear most people do well post surgery, that's a relief.  Any helpful thoughts out there???

Thanks bunches!
Shawna  :)
1.0 cm AN - left
Surg: 11/10/2005
Dr. Blevins @ Stanford Univ.

nannettesea

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 02:01:09 pm »
Shawna,
I had near perfect hearing in the "bad" ear, but because of the location of the tumor, I didn't want to risk facial paralysis--my doc said only 30% chance of saving hearing anyway.  So I went with the trans-lab, sacrificed the hearing, surgery took 8 hours because tumor was adhering to facial nerve, but face is near-normal only I don't cry out of my right eye, but it does moisten, so dry eye isn't a problem.  Sinuses kind of dry, also.

My tumor was bigger than Jessica's and yours, so you might want to try MF! 
Nan
Trans-lab approach
8/29/05