Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82668 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2008, 05:13:53 pm »
Hey all!  Yup, I'm kinda back at work now.  I've put in a full day 2 days in a row so far with minimal fatigue afterwards so that's good.  Thanks for the $10 Phyl, but I still wanna ride on the Mod Leer. ;)  We hope to be at the symposium next summer.  Lots can happen between now and then, of course, but I'd like to go. 

The swelling is still there, but not as bad as it was when I first went on the med.  I think it's my desk, but my shoulders and neck get super tight as the day goes on.  I obviously try to get away from my desk a few times a day to give them a break.  I'll keep plugging away and hopefully my co-pilot will feel better about me driving alone.  So far, I only drive with someone in the car (not that they could stop something serious from happening, but it makes them feel better I guess).

I'm only here for a minute, so I wanted say "Hey" and update everyone.  Take it easy!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #391 on: July 15, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »
Great to hear from you, Brian -  and glad you seem to be doing so well back at work.  You know the mantra, of course - don't overdo it!

Can you do some simple stretches (neck rolls, etc) at your desk to keep the tightness down?  If you can do a hot compress (spritz a towel with water and nuke it for a couple of minutes) that should help too. 

Three cheers for your co-pilot!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #392 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:40 pm »
Pooter -

2 full days in a row is definite progress - so is the minimal fatigue - sounds like your recovery is finally right on target  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #393 on: July 16, 2008, 03:47:36 pm »
Brian,
I'm glad to hear you're feeling so much better.  You especially have been on my mind since I haven't been online for a week and you were just starting to feel better when I last checked on you. 

Wishing you continued good health and a smooth and speedy recovery -- FINALLY!!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #394 on: July 17, 2008, 03:15:49 pm »
Brian:

Thanks for the positive update.  I join many others feeling better today knowing that most of your past problems are receding and your recovery is moving forward.  Your patience has surely been tested but things are definitely looking up.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2008, 09:14:49 am »
Way to go Brian!! 8)

Heat 1st - then stretch the neck muscles 2nd ...

Keep moving forward...you have come a long way.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #396 on: July 21, 2008, 08:52:57 pm »
Well, it's official!  Not only did I work full-time at the office ALL last week, I drove myself Thursday - Today.  AND, I had a follow-up with my doctor today and he said things are going well enough that he doesn't need to see me for another 4 months!  AND, as if that wasn't enough good news, I got clearance to wear contacts again.  I haven't used drops in a LONG time so it's closing well enough to keep it lubricated and such so he gave in and let me try them.  I came home from dinner for my to-be 8 year old, put the kids in bed and tried on my contacts immedidately!  It's weird, kinda, but they feel better than my glasses (which before all this I RARELEY wore).  Is it possible for your prescription to change on the AN side a little?  I've noticed for awhile that even my glasses were a little blurry on the AN side.  It's as if my prescription changed a little on the AN side!  Luckily, my normal eye doc is in the same building as me, so I'lll get him to check for any changes, damage, etc as soon as I can.  For now, my contacts are as good as my glasses and even better because I get to wear my normal sunglasses instead of the ones that I wear over my glasses!  YEA!  I'm SO excited!  Life is ALMOST normal again!  Soon, I'll take my to-be 8 year old camping again!  I'm driving myself (in traffic even!)!  And I'm wearing contacts after over 2 months of wearing glasses that I rarely wore before!  Oh, Happy Day!  Life is getting better by the day!

I hope everyone else is well!  I haven't been on here in a bit because by the time work is done, dinner is done, bedtime for my 7/8 year old and 3 year old is done, I'm pretty wooped and just want to vedge with my bride for a bit!  I just wanted to share the good news!

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

sgerrard

« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:25 pm »
Pooter, that sounds excellent! I have no idea if the AN could cause a shift in prescription, but at this point, nothing about Ans would surprise me much.  Wearing normal sunglasses is especially cool.  8)

Steve

Wait, who is that you are vegging out with? Did I miss something?
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #398 on: July 21, 2008, 10:05:32 pm »
Wait, who is that you are vegging out with? Did I miss something?

I was wondering about that also  ???  Did you guys re-tie the knot  ??? 

I don't know the answer to the glasses prescription either, but I wanted to say congratulations on all the great milestones you've reached Brian!  After doing not so well for a while, it sounds like things are finally moving along very well.  You must be ecstatic!  I know I am  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #399 on: July 21, 2008, 10:11:36 pm »
She was once my bride..And then not.  Maybe, perhaps again, but I still call her that.  How's that for vague?  ;*)  Wearing normal sunglasses is WAY cooler than the over-wear sunglasses that I have been wearing for a few months.  Bleh!  They have been ok given my sensitivity to the bright Texas sun this summer, but NOTHING comes close to wearing my normal ones, that's for sure!  :)   Did I mention the doc liked the improved movement on the AN side of my face?  I still have a ways to go (I can feel it especially when I talk; certain words still come out slurred), but it's MUCH better than no movement at all that I had right after the surgery.

Thanks Steve and Jan!  I am ecstatic!  Can ya tell?  I'm finally back on track with my healing after hitting a few major bumps in the road and it feels good!

Brian  - vegging.. :)

wendysig

« Reply #400 on: July 21, 2008, 11:19:54 pm »
Brian,
Congrratulations!  I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing!  Hope you are enjoying your vegging out time with Jenni and your kids.  You deserve it.  I hope the rest of you recovery is smooth and without incident.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #401 on: July 22, 2008, 06:15:27 pm »
Hey Brian-  I just did the Happy Dance of Joy for you - it used to involve twirling and leaping, now it just involves a lopsided smile!  You sound so excited - and it is contagious!  Thanks for sharing the great news - wahoo!

As for the vision, I'm not sure on that.  However, I did ask the opthalmologist last week when he was fitting my blinkeze if I might be able to consider Lasik in a year or so - he said that it would be challenging because of my eye.  I'm not really sure what that meant (and was too infatuated with the Blinkeze to ask), but I wonder if the facial palsy can cause changes in vision?  Hhhmmm - another AN mystery waiting to be solved.

Debbi, getting ready to veg with my groom (okay, that sounds weird, doesn't it?)   :-[
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

jerseygirl

« Reply #402 on: July 22, 2008, 07:40:18 pm »
Brian,

Happy to hear about your progress! Way to go!

Debbi, I considered Lasik a few years ago when my eye was not as dry as now, after the second surgery, but considered "dry" nevertheless because it barely produced tears. I was turned down by a few places because of it. It was explained to me that the procedure itself tends to dry out the eyes and if one is already dry I would be extremely uncomfortable afterwards. Maybe, somebody knows more about it?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #403 on: July 23, 2008, 12:35:04 am »
Thanks all!  And, thanks for the suggestions for the tightness.  Today was better, so I'm not sure if I was just tired from getting back or what.  I'll give it a few days and see how it goes.  I also have a heat thing (heated by microwave) that my bride suggested I take to work.  I may just give that a try if it continues.

I dunno about the vision thing either.  I've noticed that my AN side eye tends to be dryer than my other one but I can force a good tight blink to moisten it again.  I wore my contacts all day today with no problems.  By the time I got home, though, my eyes were irritated a little.  I probably just have to get used to my contacts again.  I wore my glasses longer than I ever have in 20 years or so.  Man, I've wore contacts for a long time!

Btw Debbi, "veg'ing with my groom" does sound weird; sorry.  Veg'ing with my bride sounds more natural.  Perhaps you should say veg'ing with my man or something.  ;)

Brian

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #404 on: July 23, 2008, 10:28:04 am »
Brian,

Quoting you

Did I mention the doc liked the improved movement on the AN side of my face?  I still have a ways to go (I can feel it especially when I talk; certain words still come out slurred), but it's MUCH better than no movement at all that I had right after the surgery.

I've noticed that my AN side eye tends to be dryer than my other one but I can force a good tight blink to moisten it again.  I wore my contacts all day today with no problems.

YEAH! This is great news

One flag…

“but I can force a good tight blink to moisten it again.�

I used to do this and now I have synkinesis. I suggest that you do NOT force any facial muscles while you are still in the nerve re-growth and re-generation stage. If your eye is dry plop in a drop- until proper blink and close action returns.

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mayzie

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!