Author Topic: My Journey - an excerpt from my journal  (Read 2490 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
My Journey - an excerpt from my journal
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:57:35 pm »
An excerpt from my journal.

Unknown to me, many years ago my body decided to take me down a path I would never have chosen for myself or anyone else for that matter.  The path less traveled is called acoustic neuroma and I never would have taken this path if I had had a choice.  The road sign that threw me for a loop was posted in a pamphlet I read in early December 2011 that read, “this is not an ear thing, it is a brain thing”.  I felt like I had been knocked to the ground and couldn’t get up.  A brain thing?  Yes, this is a benign brain tumor that affects the 8th nerve out of the ear into the brain.  Mine happens to be on my left side and is currently, as of January 2012, affecting my hearing, word comprehension, and balance.

I don’t know if being two feet away from a lightning strike back in early 2000 is what first projected me toward this path or not.  My neurosurgeon says not; he says that maybe that is what caused my initial hearing loss but not the tumor.  It is also stated in most of the literature that I’ve read that AN is rare; however, reading the numerous posts from this support group makes me wonder.  I am very blessed that my tumor is still small (10.2mm) and my symptoms / side effects are still very mild.

The path from October 27, 2011, till today has sometimes been very steep and many times very dark but with the help of the ANA forum lights have been lit along that path and the climb has gotten easier.  I’m very thankful that I have found the ANA support group and website.       

God bless and may you all have a Happy and Healthful New Year!

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Mei Mei

Re: My Journey - an excerpt from my journal
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:09:26 pm »
Dear Karen,
Welcome to the ANA Forum.    I wish it were under better circumstances that we are meeting you, but it is the best support group I have ever found in medical maladies as I walk the same road with you.

Feel free to contact us with any of your questions and we will do the best we can to support you in your decision making process.    May you come out of this with as little damage as possible.

Happy New Year!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: My Journey - an excerpt from my journal
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:46:04 pm »
Karen ~

Thanks for sharing your journal thoughts and the generous words for the ANA website discussion forums.  I know you've had some definite struggles but you also have a strong spirit and I'm confident you'll navigate this unwanted journey intelligently and not allow your emotions to cloud your vision for an ultimate good outcome.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.