Author Topic: Did any one else find the MRI exam to be facinating?  (Read 3644 times)

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Did any one else find the MRI exam to be facinating?
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:20:59 pm »
  Call me crazy, but I found the MRI exam to be facinating.  It was like being in "2001 Space Odyssey".  All the odd pops, clicks, and whirings were like a very high tech SCI-FI music, several parts actually has a beat.   We're lucky to be in an age that has such technology. Any one else find MRI facinating?
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Boppie

Re: Did any one else find the MRI exam to be facinating?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:38:15 pm »
Oh yes, I went home and demonstrated the funny sounds and made my family laugh.  I still wonder why anyone would say they'd never get inside the thing.  Most people I know say they'd go for an Upright MRI if their insurance would cover it.  They just won't lie down for one.  MRI is a lot less scarey than tumor surgery!

Kilroy1976

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:38:31 am »
An MRI is like laying in a cold, white cave and listening to the world's worst techno music for an hour!
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 07:51:14 am »
I thought it was pretty interesting myself, until I realized the technician saw something, by the way she asked me questions.  I never felt closed in or anxious.  I was allowed to put a cloth over my eyes, so it went really well.  Thought the gad made me sick, but it turns out that laying flat did that too me.  I had become accustomed to sleeping with a couple pillows prior to my diagnosis, so wasn't completely aware of my dizziness issues.
Denise

sirialison

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 11:47:19 am »
mmmmmmmmmmmmm, boring yes...fascinating, no. to me those sounds were like a very bad heavy metal band that just couldn'tl get going or even worse, blue man group.

i found it just a bit annoying that after the plugs were put in my ears (even the hard of hearing and post-surgery deaf side!) AND all the foam "stoppers" were in place. etc, etc, ANDd the noise had started, the technician kept asking me it i was doing okay!!

however, i really, really liked the valium ;)
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

RadiantStar

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 01:07:18 pm »
I thought it was kinda funny actually ::)   I kept thinking it sounded like the music my sons listen to, and tried to figure out which group was playing ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:26:47 pm »
oh, yeah, I agree... last appt with my "head" surgeon, I read HER the films!  This week, I got the films AND CD... Scares me that I can actually read these films!  (not bad for a former hairdresser and computer chip sales person!)

"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

JHager

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:22:05 pm »
The technology is way cool, but I put the earplugs in and then.. I..... fall...... asleep..... ZZZZZZZZZZ................   ;D

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 09:20:33 pm »
I remember being surprised by the fact that I got to choose music to listen to.  Not that it was easy to hear over all of the whirring and clicking.  My second MRI was immediately after surgery.  I must not have been too with it because that one seemed like it only lasted a minute.  I probably fell asleep. lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

thecakes

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 07:40:18 pm »
     My first MRI I could'nt believe the funny clicks and other noises it made.  I was trying to imagin why this would be, picturing it in my mind that these clicks were taking these picture of the inside of my head.  Then wandering if I was going to sneeze or simething was going to happen to make me move my head.  I was impressed how they try to make you comfortable.  I was offered a blanket, had music and there was a mirror in there so I could see whats going on.  The hole thing, to look at it, looks kind of creepy though.

lmurray69

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 07:49:41 pm »
about the 20th Mri I went to a different hospital had a stroke so had no choice ..any way they put a head set on and that was great..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

stein78

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 11:54:22 pm »
I had my MRI that found my tumor exactly a year ago today!  At the time I thought I was wasting my time with it, boy was I wrong.  :(  Took just over an hour, but all in all it wasn't that bad.  The MRI tech guy would come on the speaker between segments of the machine doing it's thing and tell me how long the next segment was going to be.  A few times there were long pauses before he would say anything, I bet at that point he saw the tumor.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Sanddollar

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 08:29:49 am »
I had never had an MRI before so I was a little anxious given all the talk about claustrophobia.  I also thought this might be a waste of time - thank God that I went ahead and did it!!!  The weird, semi-rhythmic sounds put me to sleep....
1cm x 2cm, Left side -Translab
Drs. Vrabec & Trask - Jan '06
Houston, TX
Excellent Results!!!